Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Vibrates When Lights/heater/rear Window Heater Switched On

MrG

I have an 05 plate 1.6 Edge (Petrol) with 69000 on the clock - I was having a bit of vibration so changed the PCV valve & hose as suggested on a very helpful thread here; seemed to help a bit. I've just noticed that the vibration gets worse if I turn some electrics on though - headlights, heater, rear window heating for example - the rev needle twitches between about 670 - 730 & goes back to 750ish when I turn those things off.

No problems when in motion, so I presume just an idling issue? Any ideas or suggestions most welcome :)

Bruce may have hit the nail on the head there.

keep the thread updated to what the conclusion was.

Thanks guys, although that's what I forgot to mention - the battery in the car is only about a month old - maybe it's a duff one? It was put in at the garage I bought the car from.

I could take the car back I guess but it's a long round trip, so it might just be easier to replace the battery - would a silver battery be the one to go for?

Thanks again

The critical factor here is I think not the state of the battery but the demands placed on it and thus the alternator when you increase the load by turning on extra electrics.

I'd be inclined to have the alternator checked out before investing in another battery (which can also be checked at the same time).

It should be a silver cadium battery anyway. Standard lead batteries will not work correctly with the Ford Smart Charge system.

I agree with the above low temps high demands on the battery etc just remember mist indies know squat about the alternator and smart charge so dont take it as gospel if they say the alt isnt charging high enough its probably fine

Afternoon chaps - sorry to ask another question, but this morning I noticed my speedo needle dropping to zero for a few seconds, then going back to normal - the radio became quieter when the needle dropped too; a quick google suggests the VSS is on its way out; could that have anything to do with the idle vibration issue, or is it totally separate?

Thanks in advance :)

Yes, all connected.

The radio dropping is due to the auto volume levelling settings, they change volume to match possible road noise while driving.

When the VSS plays up the power tends to drop and when I had it on my Mk1 focus it often threatened to stall when stopping at lights etc.

Make sure you buy a new pin as well, they get well knackered when being removed.

• 6 months later...

Mega thread bump time - now that the weather is a bit nicer I've finally got round to sorting the vibration issue that I mentioned in the first post, so I thought I'd update this thread.

I'd been through the basic service stuff to check - the coil seemed ok & there was no misfire, so didn't think it was that. Plugs seemed fine too & I couldn't fine any vacuum leaks either (I'd already changed the PCV hose & valve) - the car was fine when driving, but whenever it dropped back to idle it became a shake shack again - and the electrics made it so much worse.

Anyway, I changed the engine mounts at the weekend & it's fixed the problem completely - the car is now super smooth at idle & feels a lot better to drive too. Had a bit of a mare with the underneath mount as one of the bolts was really rusty & snapped, but other than that (had to sweet talk a mechanic buddy of mine to sort that one), not too bad a job.

So, I'm a happy Focus owner one again :)

Where's the 'like' button on this forum? Top work fella!

Glad to see you got it sorted!

And Andy, check the bottom right corner of MrG's post "Like This" :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club