Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Valve Cleaners

Timty

Well, since I started this post my car flew through its first N.C.T. test (M.O.T. in Britain) with flying colours. The smoke test limit is 1.5 somethings per something or other and mine read 0.6. Today a work colleague's 2009 Mondel 1.8 TDCI failed at 5.5!! That said, I've got to go from Cork to Dublin tomorrow, a 160 mile motorway blast and I'm not confident the car will make it without dying (Misfire, Engine malfunction light on, engine idle rpm only, no throttle response, turn off, turn on and away we go again, no codes stored). I have also fitted the 'sort of blanking' plate i.e. the one with the 10mm hole. Is there anything worse than a car that you have no confidence in getting you from A to B and back again.

Anyway, in reply to Newbie I have little interest in re-mapping it, I'd be delighted if it would just stay running on what Mr. Ford gave it first day! Happy Valentine's Day to all .. and ok ... I wish the same to my '!Removed!' of a TDCI :)

Oh! No!

The latest update. I took the car on a motorway drive today to Dublin. At exactly the same point on the road as on 2 previous events (after 60 miles of steady 65mph) the Engine Malfunction light came on. However, this time, no loss of power. About 20 miles before this I saw the rev counter and speedo drop to zero and immediately go back to where they should be. I was driving with my OBD code reader connected, hoping to catch the error if it happened. Guess what .. when I tried to read it the screen had more or less gone blank, barely readable but I could see it displayed a loss of connection to the ECU!! Between the previous engine malfunction (mis-fire, light on, no power, engine at idle, no response to throttle, turn off turn on all ok again) and this event (no mis-fire, malfunction light on, no loss of power) I have fitted a blanking plate on the EGR (the one with the 10mm hole). I wonder have I proved my theory that the EGR is sticking open? I did the scan using the Reset button on the column and it came up with D900.

That said I tried 4 Ford dealers today to have a scan done and they are all too busy! I have the car booked in for next wednesday. The service manager there suspects an over pressurisation by teh high pressure diesel pump or maybe an injector fault. He says there should really be an OBD code but I've never found one. He will do deeper diagnostics.

As you probably already know, EGR blanking plates with holes are of limited use (if any) - the EGR has to be working properly for them to work, and they don't block the flow of gasses (defeating the purpose) a solid plate (stainless steel) will "fix" a leaking/ faulty EGR valve, as well as completely stopping the unwanted flow of exhaust gasses

Fit a solid plate and let us know how you get on

The correct "domestic" (cheap) OBD11 code reader that is designed to read the Ford OBD11 protocols does 99.9% of what the "expensive" (pro) code readers do

So which code reader are you using? does it have the Ford- specific protocols?

the plug can come loose, it helps if you support/ push to inner part of the socket tight against the plug when you push the plug in

I personally, would not waste my money on putting my car to a garage/ dealer to get my codes read (but i have a Bluefin handset that reads all my codes) -

As far as im aware, by Bluefin handset can read all the codes the garage can, and reset the codes, and the only thing the Bluefin CANT do and (some) garages can, is recode the injectors

Thanks FOCA. My code reader is an Autel Maxiscan MS509. It was highly recommended in 'Car Mechanics' magazine in 2011, that's why I bought it. I wonder did the code reader go faulty while it was connected and cause my 'Engine Malfunction' warning today or did the car generate the warning and in some way or other (voltage spike?) damage the code reader. Major portions of the code reader lcd are missing. That said when the fault occured I was able to discern this from the lcd: U1040 'Lost communication with the Body Control Module' U0001 'High Speed Can Communication Bus' and U2005 'DTC Definition not found' . I still don't know what that last one is for.

I've ordered a Gendan GCR25 off eBay an hour ago, feel 'naked' without a code reader!

You are absolutely correct in what you say about the blanking plate with the hole. I do have a solid one and will try that. However, in fairness, while I got an MIL light today I did not lose power. This is an improvement! Have I got an EGR issue but the restricted plate did not allow the cylinders to 'flood' with inert gas? Who knows! Is there anything worse than an intermittent fault that does not store a code. Is there anything worse than actualy calling to 4 Ford main dealers in the area and not one of them in a position to put the car on a scan unless you book it in, take a morning off, arrange alternative transport etc etc.

I've had a mercedes e270 cdi for 9 months, 3 of which it spent its time in the garage having torque converters replaced! My mate has a '07 Audi A4 2.0tdi that ate its cam followers, cost 1300 euro to repair and is still not right. My work colleague, with a low mileage 2009 1.8 tdci Mondeo just failed the MOT with a smoke figure of 5.5 (limit 1.5). My neighbour's Peugeot HDi has just had a new clutch/dmf fitted. BUT ... my daughter's 1999, 1Litre Petrol Polo with 140,000 miles never gives trouble!! Conclusion - buy a petrol car.

Ok, rant over, the wine is beginning to work now. I think I will suffer it and take the car to the dealer on Wednesday and see what they might find. I'll let you know what happens. Tomorrow I will attempt to go to Dublin again but this time I am much more hopeful of getting there ... because I'm taking the train!!

Tim

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, just had my car code read and the results were P1408 EGR flow out of self test range and Turbo boost pressure not detected, they said its in limp mode, but the guys at the garage could not establish the location of the egr valve to remove and try and dislodge any soot on it, so my question is, does anyone know where the EGR valve is located on a 1.6 tdci sport 2007 and also how much roughly is it going to cost me to fix these problems, also the other thing is that the turbo impeller is very wobbly it feels like its about to fall off, does that mean the turbo is on its way out or already gone hence the turbo boost pressure not detected?

Thank you in advance.

If there excess play in turbo replace if it breaks up could be bye bye engine an egr valve at back of engine closer to gearbox u be look min 2 hour to remove an clean best cleanin intake at same time

ohhhhh ok, I guess its time to look for a turbo then, any suggestions on where I can get one on a rather limited budget and am I better off getting a used or reconditioned one.

Also how do I go about cleaning the intake and which part do you mean ecxactly..sorry I dint get that part.

I would go for recondition turbo change oil an clean all turbo pipes has ur car good service history serviced right mileage an right time year intake manifold new air filter make sure no dirt wats ur mileage

It was last serviced in Jan 2013 and its a month overdue, actually I was taking it in for a service when the problems started and the guys at the garage said to bring it in on monday so they can properly id the problem but am thinking they may end up telling me large sums of money to pay thats why I was thinking of diagnosing and fixing it myself and the other thing now is that I'm scared to drive it anymore before changing that turbo because the noise from the compressor blade got worse the last time I drove it home, it might be reaching breaking point.

the milage is 84k and its got the last 4 years of traceable service upto last year.

When u start ur car do u let it idle for couple min when u start it an let it idle before u turn engine off do u ever drive it hard before properly heated up all also remove intercooler an clean when replacing turbo

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Actually I dont do the things you mentioned, I just start and go and also when I stop, I just turn it off and yes I've driven hard from cold start some times in a rush, seems like I killed it then?..

Where do I find the intercooler

Thankx again for your advise

Not that u killed it but they just all steps to help keep turbo alive longer we both no it's not an ideal world sometime u in a rush an can't afford hang around intercooler in front of radiator

Also does ur car be smokey in morning diesel injectors are common to leak over night past rings into oil contaminating it

been busy most of the afternoon trying to get the turbo and egr valve off the car and had some trouble with the two nuts at the top, they wer a nightmare to get off but eventually got them out and as for the smoking bit, its never smoked ever the tail pipe is so clean you wouldnt think its a diesel engine its spotless and just passed its mot a few days ago.

whats the best egr valve cleaner out there, if i leave it soaking in white spirit over night do you think that could cause any damage to it?

Does your car have a Euro 4 EGR. My understanding is that a vacuum operated EGR is Euro 3 while motorised is Euro 4? The solid blanking plate should bring on the eml light on a Euro 4 .. as I understand it anyway. Did this happen with you?

i forgot all bout this, so sos sorry for the reply dude... my car has a euro 4, and yes the egr is electric... no there is no eml light on, or there has never been on since i fitted the first plate...