Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Load Rating

j_cocker

Went into a pothole over the weekend, and one of the front tyres was gone.

I was in a hurry to get two new front tyres, but couldn't find anyone local stocking an exact replacement (mine are/were Goodyear OptiGrip 225/50 R17 98W).

Finally managed to find a garage with a near identical match (Goodyear as well), but their load rating was only 94, not 98. The garage assured me that unless I load the car to an extreme, these should be just fine.

As the worst case scenario I could think of in term of load was:

2 x adults + 2 x young children + either 2 more adults in the car (v rarely) or equally as rarely maybe 50kg in the boot + 50kg in the roof box, I told them to go a head and fit them.

Now I am a little worried about safety and my insurance...

Is here anything to worry about? I cannot see the car ever carrying more than 4 adults + 2 children or 2 adults + 2 children + say, 100 kg of luguage split between the roof box and the boot.

I checked the manual and here is no reference to the load rating of the tyres as far as I could tell.

Any adice will be much appreicated.

Even Ford don't specify XL (extra load) tyres as mandatory.

It will be fine. But may lead to uneven tyre wear as one side will have a firmer tyre than the other.

i was lead to believe they are meant to be xl/reinforced tyres fitted to these cars,

but that could be for mine as they are 18s.

best thing to do is to check on etis for the exact info,because if god forbid there is an insurance claim it will be thrown out.

from etis,

this is for my missus smax 215/60 R16 99H Tyre

and for mine,

235/45 R18 98W Tyre

iirc the info should be on the lable on the door pillar .

i was lead to believe they are meant to be xl/reinforced tyres fitted to these cars,

but that could be for mine as they are 18s.

best thing to do is to check on etis for the exact info,because if god forbid there is an insurance claim it will be thrown out.

from etis,

this is for my missus smax 215/60 R16 99H Tyre

and for mine,

235/45 R18 98W Tyre

iirc the info should be on the lable on the door pillar .

The label on the door pillar only states dimensions (same table as the one in the manual) - simply states 225/50 R17 and the tyre pressure.

Managed to find my car on etis, but couldn't find anything there about tyres...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club