Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.3 1996 Cabaret - Accelerator Stiff Problem

Fifi2012

Hi, I love my car so much and it is in pristine condition with genuine 44,000 miles on the clock from new. I recently left a blanket on my engine (because I didn't want it to get cold) I obviously forgot to remove it and subsequently a few things have melted on the engine. :o The only problem I am experiencing is the accelerator pedal has gone hard and I am unsure as to whether the accelerator cable has melted or it has gone into limp home mode, ie causing the ECU to kick in, although it is idling at 2,000rpm, average speed max is 5mph. Any help you guys could help me with would be much appreciated. Thank you

If the pedal is stiff it should be fairly easy to check the other end of the cable under the bonnet and see if it is moving freely. It could be the cable itself is jammed or whatever it is connected to on the manifold. I don't think they were using drive by wire in 1996.

Thank you so much for your words of advice, much appreciated. I have managed to source an accelerator cable (after approximately 35 phone calls lol). I have also booked an auto electrician to come and look at it tomorrow, as I have no idea how to reset the ECU, to see if it could possibly be the ECU. Here's hoping the replacement cable and/or an ECU reset resolves the problem. I shall let you know how I get on.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club