Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk1 1.6 Abs Fault

dave65

hi

my wife has a 2001 1.6 mk 1 foucus and the abs light and the traction control light are on, the hand brake light is also on but not all the time, i was driving it today and the lights all when out until i stopped the car and when i started it again there was a buzzing from the abs unit and i could feel it through the brakes.

i've checked all the fuses and they are fine, i've heard about faults with the instrument cluster but i'm thinking it sounds more like a sensor fault.

is it possible to check the sensors with a multi meter, or can any one recomend a fault code reader or a lead with software for a laptop that would work with my car that is not to expensive, thanks :)

May I suggest that first you give the brakes a good hard blasting with a jet wash, it's highly likely that the sensors are full of crap and dust.

Has the car been driven through any standing water recently or parked up for a few days in heavy rain?

Contamination of the brake pads and calipers can cause bad sensor signals or dirty water can get into the connectors.

is the brake fluid level ok? just my first concern as the handbrake light will illuminate if the fluid is low

checked the fluid level and it's fine, the connector looks ok ,the abs and traction lights are on pretty much all the time , the handbrake is not on at the moment but was on yesterday and the day before.

i will give the sensors a good clean first and check the conectors then before i look further into it, it has been parked up heavy rain as the car lives outside and it's been pouring down for the last couple of days.

checked the fluid level and it's fine, the connector looks ok ,the abs and traction lights are on pretty much all the time , the handbrake is not on at the moment but was on yesterday and the day before.

i will give the sensors a good clean first and check the conectors then before i look further into it, it has been parked up heavy rain as the car lives outside and it's been pouring down for the last couple of days.

theres a good chance its water ingress

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club