Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine System Fault

bastow

had my ford focus 1.8 tdci 4 month and its my first ford car i have bought and it has up with engine systems failure with a red LED indicator next to the message display unit on the dascome h on the right hand side and gone in to limp mode, had a fault reader on it but didnt pick anything up do to been a faut reader and nothing special.

Any idea to what could cause it this fault to appear?

Hi, first of all, when was the car last serviced?

It usually seems to be a dirty fuel filter or a leak in the filter housing allowing air into the system.

Some code readers won't pick everything up, garage diagnostic systems read far more than a hand held unit will.

cheers mate im going to try the fuel filter as it seems to take longer than it should to start up, the car is due for a service but i know the fuel filter hasnt beenchanged since new and the cars done 65,000

thaks alot mate ill get that done this morning and see what its like

65k miles and the fuel filter hasn't been changed WOW !!! Think that could well be your problem then. When changing it over, remove the canister it sits in, plug the hole and put some fresh diesel in it and soak your new filter, then top it up as much as you can before refitting it to the car, and when starting give it some revs, this will hopefully pull out any air that is in the system and save you a headache. Oh and obviously clean out the filter housing before putting the new one in.

I know isearched high ad low to fid out the common fault and its how i came across this site aswell so im now just waiting for a lift to a parts store to get one and get it done, dont want to risk driving it incase it does any damage and would problem cause problems with the trip computer as in distasnce in miles left in tank to decrease aswell would you know, because since i have bought it and filled up everytime i have lost 10 miles on distance till empty on the trip computer :/

okay changed the fuel filter and still running in limp mode, gettting it diognosed at some point in the next hour or 2 so i can find out the problem

It's highly likely that the crap from the filter has got to the injectors too.

Bung a bottle of wynns injector cleaner or BG244 (on eBay) through the tank to blow the s#it out.

Well ill try some injector fluid aswell still going to put on the diognostic just to make sure though and make sure it hasmt caused any more damaged

Found out the problem its glow plug related so getting them replaced tomorrow morning :-):-):-)

When you say glow plug related, is it actually the glow plugs ? As there are a few things it could be if its related. Example, glow plug relay, wiring harness etc. Hope the new plugs sort your problem out.

i doubt the glow plugs themselves would cause this error, sounds like its more serious to be honest.

I know thats what i though but ill be starting with the glow plugs if its not that then ill move to the glow plug relay and see if thats cures it

Replacing glow pugs has cured the problen and its alot more smoother running since I replaced the fuel filter :-):-):-):-)

Runs like a dream and getting abit MPG aswell :-):-):-)

Have you changed anything else? The fuel filter and glow plugs won't affect your mpg. The glow plugs also switch off after a few minutes or when the engine is up to a certain temp.

Glad to hear its running well again though.

My mistake mis read the trip computer for it lol wasthinking of something different when I wrote it lol, but was surprised it was glow plugs that caused the problem to be honest, though it woukd have been alot more serious