Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolant Getting Low, No Signs Of Leaks.

Jim9618

Hello there, ive been having a few problems with my focus recently, its a 53 plate 1.6. Ive noticed the coolant is going down very quickly, the rac and another garage have looked at it and cant find any sign of a leak. When i was driving the other day the engine warning light came on and the car crawled to a stop, checked under the bonnet and the coolant had completely gone. The rac came out and fitted some new spark plugs??? And refilled the coolant. Few days later i realised the clutch was starting to go, with the car over revving, could that be causing coolant loss??? Also when the car is first started, the fans seem to kicking in straight away which i thought was unusual. A mechanic who looked at it checked the headgasket and all was ok. Im getting the clutch sorted tomorrow and hopefully ill see an improvement. If theres no leaks anywhere could the coolant be evaporating of the engine heat? Help needed!! Many thanks, Jim.

Check the expansion tank for cracks, the pipes for splits and the tank cap too.

Even just a small leak or a perished cap seal can result in fluid boiling off rather than re-condensing.

The system may appear fine at first but when pressure and heat build up the leaks may start.

Hello there, ive been having a few problems with my focus recently, its a 53 plate 1.6. Ive noticed the coolant is going down very quickly, the rac and another garage have looked at it and cant find any sign of a leak. When i was driving the other day the engine warning light came on and the car crawled to a stop, checked under the bonnet and the coolant had completely gone. The rac came out and fitted some new spark plugs??? And refilled the coolant. Few days later i realised the clutch was starting to go, with the car over revving, could that be causing coolant loss??? Also when the car is first started, the fans seem to kicking in straight away which i thought was unusual. A mechanic who looked at it checked the headgasket and all was ok. Im getting the clutch sorted tomorrow and hopefully ill see an improvement. If theres no leaks anywhere could the coolant be evaporating of the engine heat? Help needed!! Many thanks, Jim.

Hi Jim,

With the engine off,

Open your oil filler cap and look at the under-side of the cap for signs of sludge or white,

This would indicate a passing in the head gasket seal allowing coolant to enter the oil.

Also check if possible wear a latex rubber glove and feel around the water pump for signs of coolant or what would look like heavy ammount of bird droppings.

This would indicate the water pump seal has gone.

The water pump has a spring fitted that is designed to press on the inner seal.

So when the seal breaks it pushes it out allowing coolant to pass through the waste hole, making it easy to identify.

Finally on your next fill use ready mixed coolant

This contains minimum ammount of water so will take longer to boil up.

And when in over heating.

Put the fan to face&feet position (this opens all vents)

Put temp to full heat

And

Fan to full speed.

This setting will take heat directly from engine and although you will be roasting inside, you can open the windows but its best for your engine mate.

It may be worth getting the fan temp sensor switch changed too, they are less than 20pounds

to answer no a clutch slipping will not burn off the coolant did anyone check the pressure cap on the tank if thats faulty the coolant will boil off when the engine gets hot

to answer no a clutch slipping will not burn off the coolant did anyone check the pressure cap on the tank if thats faulty the coolant will boil off when the engine gets hot

As above, the cap for the expansion bottle is suspect, known quite a few fords suffer with this. You may be able to see stains on the underside of the bonnet if its been boiling off the water.

• 3 weeks later...

hy to all focus pros

as i am new to the ford focus i no not much about them

i have a minor problem with my coolant also i have read these comments but still seem to be loosing coolant slowly

under my engine i have a big cover could that be catching any drops from pips ect have checked oil cap for white gunk .none.

have checked seal on cap of coolant and looks ok to me

also have checked around water pump no residue of any to be seen

help

nath

hy to all focus pros

as i am new to the ford focus i no not much about them

i have a minor problem with my coolant also i have read these comments but still seem to be loosing coolant slowly

under my engine i have a big cover could that be catching any drops from pips ect have checked oil cap for white gunk .none.

have checked seal on cap of coolant and looks ok to me

also have checked around water pump no residue of any to be seen

help

nath

Check the thermostat housing for signs of leaks. As these are plastic they tend to warp after a few years and the seal with the engine block goes.

I seem to have sorted the problem with the leaks. I purchased some Radwell from my local Halfords, and poured that in with the coolant, seems to of done the trick. It was strange though, just before i put the radwel in, i spotted the first signs of leaks?? But now has all stopped. Im still having a problem with my temp gauge though, it just stays on cold even after a long drive, and the heater seems to take ages to get blowing hot air, any ideas anyone? Many thanks.

Arghh i wouldnt have put that crap in not good all it does it get crud all round the cooling system it may stop the leak but its never permenant and in my experience causes more problems than it fixes it sounds like the temp sensor is faulty i really would have spent the time tracking the leak down. The usual culprits are the thermostat housing leaks dripping onto the gearbox bell housing or the radiator is leaking or rad pipes any rusty clips are culprits failing that a crack in the expansion tank however the first thing to replace regardless of how it looks is the expansion cap this usually is the cure and is cheap either way the system needs flushed out and possibly the thermostat replaced

• 8 years later...

Hi there did u find out what was causing your coolant in your ford to disappear as I'm having the same problem been to garage 3 times and had the rac out both said there's no leaks

• 4 months later...

Hi,I have 2007 1.6  focus just replaced waterpump/cambelt ect,but now couple days later found crack in bottom of header tank it was going on pulleys looking like waterpump. £35 ford part.So yeah definitely check tank/cap.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club