Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Unknown Part On Ford Focus Engine

jayh1986

Hi there,

I have a Focus 1.6 55 plate and have a slight coolant leak. It is leaking from a part which is bolted onto the side of the head. It has two pipes coming off it and some sort of sensor or something screwed into it. It is directly underneath the coil pack. Pipes from it fo to the radiator and through the fire wall. I've looked in the haynes manual and it is not the thermostat, as it says that is underneath the alternator. This is the opposite side of the engine. Any help appreciated.

Hi there,

I have a Focus 1.6 55 plate and have a slight coolant leak. It is leaking from a part which is bolted onto the side of the head. It has two pipes coming off it and some sort of sensor or something screwed into it. It is directly underneath the coil pack. Pipes from it fo to the radiator and through the fire wall. I've looked in the haynes manual and it is not the thermostat, as it says that is underneath the alternator. This is the opposite side of the engine. Any help appreciated.

the part you describe does sound like the thermostat housing, more so as there is a pipe to the radiator.

Ok thank you. The reason I was asking was, as stated above, in the haynes manual it says to take off the alternator to get to the thermostat, where this is directly under the coil pack itself nowhere near the alternator. Searching on-line I have seen it mentioned that the thermostats have a black plastic housing. However the bit I am referring to is metal. If I look under the alternator I can also see pipes from the radiator leading to something under there, which is why i presumed that was the thermostat and this other bit something else.

Ok thank you. The reason I was asking was, as stated above, in the haynes manual it says to take off the alternator to get to the thermostat, where this is directly under the coil pack itself nowhere near the alternator. Searching on-line I have seen it mentioned that the thermostats have a black plastic housing. However the bit I am referring to is metal. If I look under the alternator I can also see pipes from the radiator leading to something under there, which is why i presumed that was the thermostat and this other bit something else.

do you know if your car has an oil cooler? this will have a thermostat also and will be on that side under the alternator somewhere

Don't think so, not 100% though. Its looks basically like a lump of metal bolted to the side of the head with two hoses and some sort of sensor, and it is from this joint that it is leaking I can see slightly where the gasket looks like it has slipped allowing it to leak.

Don't think so, not 100% though. Its looks basically like a lump of metal bolted to the side of the head with two hoses and some sort of sensor, and it is from this joint that it is leaking I can see slightly where the gasket looks like it has slipped allowing it to leak.

the sensor will be for coolant temp. is the gasket for the sensor? like a rubber O-ring seal?

sorry i have just read your first post again and realised its a 1.6 petrol presumably? so it wont have an oil cooler to answer my own question lol.

If no one has an answer for you tonight i will have a look at a 1.6 55 plate as it happens tomorow and see if i can get you an answer.

ok thank you very much. Like I said earlier. The coil pack is bolted to a bracket which is directly above the bit I am describing. Thank you for your help so far.

hi mate,

very sorry I haven't had the chance to look for you, if the car is available tonight i will try my best

• 2 weeks later...

No problem. still haven't found out what this is, so until I can get a gasket it's a case of having to top up the coolant every now and then. It's not a massive leak and only leaks when the engine is running.

can you take a photo and post it up?