Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto Boot Opener For The Ford Focus Hatchback

deanoo

Hi has anybody upgraded there boot lid to open automatically when you activate the key remote boot switch? What gas struts or springs have you used/installed to automatically open the boot.

I have looked into it but for the Mk3 the boot lid is far to heavy , and needs to be at least half way open before the struts take over.

I did enquire , and i would need at least double the pressure struts and kicker springs , but they said i would also need a damping as well as damage would be caused , when it flung open.

So i searched for electric actuators but could not find any. So i guess it would have to be a custom job costing alot of money and not worth it.

I have looked into it but for the Mk3 the boot lid is far to heavy , and needs to be at least half way open before the struts take over.

I did enquire , and i would need at least double the pressure struts and kicker springs , but they said i would also need a damping as well as damage would be caused , when it flung open.

So i searched for electric actuators but could not find any. So i guess it would have to be a custom job costing alot of money and not worth it.

Don't suppose you've ever looked into this for the mk7 fiesta? lol :P

you could try some Mk3 mondeo struts or focus struts on the fiesta they may fit the same locations.

we looked in to this before and like preee has said already the strut manufacturing companys say its too risky and would travel at too high of speed which could snap the hinges or break a jaw of a person walking past if the button was pressed at the time lol

however ive found some videos on the tube that seem to run smoothly without any sudden jerk or high speed.iv

e tried to make contact with the uploaders of the videos but no response recieved from any of them.

here are the videos:

Lol no i haven't , how far does the Fiesta boot need to be open before the struts take over?

The Problem at least with the MK3 is that there is only about 1 inch of crompression space for the spring on the OEM struts , if you notice on the last two videos how when opened they jerk the hinges , this would eventually cause a fail in the hinge or the struts.

Stop being lazy and just lift it ya self lol

Lmao those things are heavy i'm getting old

We need a Sub forum for the mk3 modifications people wanna do, I've got a few ideas I'm waiting till the new year for as parts are not available yet.

My concern with a self-opening hatchback is if you have to open it in a garage with a low roof.

When done with your own hands you can raise to to the correct height, and auto system might push your hatch into the roof of the garage.

So some kind of manual over ride may be necessary?

My concern with a self-opening hatchback is if you have to open it in a garage with a low roof.

When done with your own hands you can raise to to the correct height, and auto system might push your hatch into the roof of the garage.

Hang a set of Furry Dice from the rear wiper to protect the boot panel on impact :)

My concern a self-opening hatchback is if you have to open it in a garage with a low roof.

Good

Good point i have done this with my Sons car ....ops , it scratched the boot lid , thankfully it was not mine. But the idea would be great if the wife had given you loads of ear muching around the shops , wait for her to stand close and press the open button.

new idea for Launch control haha

the strut manufacturing companys say its too risky and would travel at too high of speed which could snap the hinges or break a jaw of a person walking past if the button was pressed at the time lol

the idea would be great if the wife had given you loads of ear muching around the shops , wait for her to stand close and press the open button.

new idea for Launch control haha

haha, brilliant

Sweeeet

Would one fit,

Easy to connect relay to boot latch to power the motor etc.

Great if one fitted snug without cutting, but then its motorised close aswell so manual close would break the gear

Thanks for your replies, since I have had time off over Christmas I been watching too much Westcoast Customs and then looking at my Focus on the drive. I think I will look at doing the auto boot opener in the future; I have just purchased a rear view camera from eBay so that should keep me busy for a while. I did find a video on youtube where the guy fitted new struts for the boot to auto open and they were quite cheap but the boot is a lot smaller on the 1 series BMW. Thanks

There would be the need to fit a dash switch or a seperate remote relay of some sort.

They need to have a maximum and minimum position setting so as to be tuneable and not result in a strained mechanism or snapped brackets.

I have seen it done on programmes such as Monster Garage and Custom My Ride so the application is sound.

Monster Garage season 2 episode 7

I been watching too much Westcoast Customs and then looking at my Focus on the drive.

I started out the same way lol that show should come with a warning may give you extreme inspiration

I mean look at this, after watching Pimp My Ride for 6 months back in 2005

Radiator.jpg

Radiatorfront.jpg

Now its too much West Coast Customs and Gas Monkey on Discovery Channel

nissan-tiida-ad-brazil.jpg

Somebody please climb on my roof and take down the Sky satelite dish lol

Well neither of them is his wife put it that way.

No wonder he bans her from the forum :P

Is that you Lenny in picture nine? with the ladies.............

Lol no im 20years younger than that

That picture is part of an advertisment that either renault or nissan createdand intended to air on television but never got that far because ford sued them,

I think it may be on Tube though.

I cant remember if it was nissan or renault but their the same company since 2010 anyways lol

Well neither of them is his wife put it that way.

No wonder he bans her from the forum :P

Ah she'd be close enough to the dolly bird on the left now.... lol when she gets her own IP address she can log on as much as she wants, but not on my ip lol i dont want to be blocked too.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/user/26540-vickic/

There would be the need to fit a dash switch or a seperate remote relay of some sort.

They need to have a maximum and minimum position setting so as to be tuneable and not result in a strained mechanism or snapped brackets.

I have seen it done on programmes such as Monster Garage and Custom My Ride so the application is sound.

Monster Garage season 2 episode 7

Lol season 2 episode 7

Seriously though it would be nice to have full auto unlock,lift, stop.

Then full auto close,shut tight, lock.

But could end up costly, although a number of sets could be built after the first was complete.

• 2 years later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club