Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Con Staying On

Davemav

Hi all,

I have recently brought a 2008 2.0 tdci titanium, but the air con switch stays illuminated all of the time. It will only go off if the fan switch is in the off position. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers Davemav

try moving the directional blower from the windowscreen position...

Hi, it stays on wherever the blower switch is positioned cheers

So if you move the swich to feet before youstart the car it still stays on?

Could be a faulty switch stuck on

From memory, that's how it works. I don't think it's faulty.

Unfortunately I am away from my car at the moment to be able to check.

If the Slector is set to Screen , then Aircon Auto turns on , moved down to Screen and feet and it will not auto start.

I think he is saying it will not turn off at all.

If it doesn't go off at all then I'd suspect a duff switch panel.

They are readily available on eBay for a reasonable price.

so nothing happens when you press the illuminated aircon button

Thats right nothing happens the light stays illuminated all the time.

From memory, that's how it works. I don't think it's faulty.

Unfortunately I am away from my car at the moment to be able to check.

Correction, having checked, yes you can and should be able to tun it off with the illuminated air-con button as others have said.

Cheers people, just fitted replacement switch control unit and all working fine

Job done sir. :)

Did you find it a faff to swap over?

I'm about to swap my panel over to one with different light colours and a bit concerned about disconnecting control cables.

it was pretty straight forward, a little fiddly getting retaining clip for cable off. All in all a nice job to do.

Ideal, i have my trusty Haynes but sometimes they're a bit vague on intermediate steps.

I have a Blue LED converted AC panel and rear window heater switch waiting to go in, just need to find the time now :D

DSC_0035.jpg

• 1 month later...

Has anyone done this yet (removed the heater control panel)

The haynes manual is next to useless, it does not tell you how, with any detail, to remove the panel. Mine will not come out even after removing the retaining screws. I also cannot see how to remove the cable with a green collar that seems to be held in by an inernal spring, I can pull the cable away from the back of the panel, but only so far, as something springy is holding it in.

Any help at all with removing this panel would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Phil.

I need to check my car, I am sure mine sticks on as well... thinking I might be due a new button too...

does nobody know how to remove the cable with a green collar from the back of the heater control panel?

Phil.

I'll look into it in the morning for you.

Need to read up on it myself as I've a blue light converted control unit to fit at some point.

Hi all,

I have recently brought a 2008 2.0 tdci titanium, but the air con switch stays illuminated all of the time. It will only go off if the fan switch is in the off position. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers Davemav

If the heater switch is in the screen position the air con will come on when the fan is switched on.It shouldn`t come on at any other time. Hope this helps.

All haynes will say about removing the control cables is that you need to squeeze the sides of the connector to remove it.

It's shaped lke a beak and i'd assume you squeeze as close to the connecting point as you can.

All haynes will say about removing the control cables is that you need to squeeze the sides of the connector to remove it.

It's shaped lke a beak and i'd assume you squeeze as close to the connecting point as you can.

Thanks for the reply.

I have a red illuminated control panel from a mk2.5 I want to fit into my mk2

When I tried to remove the green bit before, I did not notice anything I could squeze to remove it, but I was not looking for that, so I may have missed it. I won't be able to take a look for a couple of days, but will check as soon as I can. The haynes manual seems to be correct for the other cable that changes the temperature, and I am fairly confident that I can remove that by squezing the bracket, but I won't try that intill I know I can get the green cable off first.

I will keep you posted after I have had another look.

Cheers.

Phil.

just bouncing back to my comment above, my air con seems to come on no matter what position its on, if the blower is above 0 it comes on... no biggie, it can be turned off, but it does happen - weird but no real problem :)

Had another look at my cable with the green collar today, and it seems to be one solid piece of plastic, with nothing you can "pinch/squeeze" to remove it from the air direction control knob, so I am no further ahead in my quest to change my heater control panel from a green illuminated one to a red illuminated one. the fact that there seems to be some type of internal spring holding it on is very confusing.

phil.