Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whats The Best Focus Mk2 Trim/model?

dp1987

Hi i have a mk1.5 Ford Focus Chic special edition at the moment which has heated leather seats etc and looks better than the standard mk1 models.

Now im wanting to buy a MK2 Focus around a 2005/06 plate and im shocked at how bog standard and basic most of the models are in the mk2 range. I cant find much on google about exact trim levels but the LX AND SPORT look very basic with tiny wheels. I was mainly looking for a Titanium but there doesnt seem many for sale and i cant work out what engine sizes there are in the hatchback range?? i would prefer a 2.0 petrol over the 1.6 and 1.8 models are they available in the Zetec also?

I dont get why i cant find any with leather interior all i have seen so far is half leather.

Was also wondering if anyone had any price ideas on what it would cost if i baught a zetec or Titanium and tried to make it stand out like an ST "which insurance is too pricey on with me being young". Is it only ST bumpers and side skirts that i would need? as i will be buying 18 inch alloys anyway as the standard 15/16 inch alloys look too small on the Focus i think.

thanks..

given the ridiculous price for road tax you dont get many 1.8 or 2.0 petrols up for sale trim level is a nightmare as not all focis come with what you think they have as many owners added or removed options full leather when i was looking were as rare as hens teeth and heated seats were either non existent or non working the engines are 1.6 100hp orthe 1.6 115hp which is the tivct the 1.8 is 115bhp and the ti vct replaced that option for many same power less road tax 16 inch wheels are actually fine on the focus better if its lowered it comes down to money youre cars £1000 or less fr a trade in and not much more private now the mk3 is out the prices have dropped so what do you have to spend and what can you afford insurance wise as making it look like an st means it will be insured as one

St3 2006 could be picked up for around 7-8k, what ever options you get with a second hand is a bonus, the st3 didn't have many options as a lot was standard but sat nav is a biggy coz its touch screen and will have the dual climate. Depends what u wanna go for engine wise unless you not fussed then just look for the highest standard spec available.

thanks for the feedback. We buy any c** offered me £680 for my focus which is laughable given the condition. I would expect to get near £1200 selling private as most dealers still charge £1800-£2000 for the same thing.

I have £2800 to spend and then the money from selling my car so selling private is a big bonus as i would then have around £3800 at least to buy a mk2 with then i would spend the extra over a few months getting ST alloys etc.

I find the huge gap in price weird considering i could get a good spec 04 plate mk1.5 for £2000 all day long but a 05 plate bog standard mk2 is around £3000-£4000 for anything with less than 80k on the clock and then the facelift mk2.5 is not much more than the mk2.

Im also shocked at how few 3 door models are available in the mk2 range to buy.

Would it hit my insurance much turning it into an ST replica?? as i always seem to see alot of young lads with ST replicas. My insurance is around £120 a month on a 1.6 but a real ST would set me back £200 a month which is a joke considering i almost got a Mondeo st220 3.0 as they only wanted £165 for that even though its as fast as the Focus version.

If i cant get a find a good mk2 model focus soon having looked for the last few months i will have to consider an 05 plate mondeo which new would have cost alot more than the focus but is around £1000 cheaper for the same sort of models.

You might be surprised when you come to insure a modified car just how much they can load the premium compared to a naturally higher spec / insurance band version. (although that's entirely basd on so many aspects such as age, location, profession etc that it's a very broad statement)

As an example, if I were to modify my Focus ST2 any more than I have (Bluefin Remap, upgraded intercooler and some powerflex bushes - 275bhp ish) it'd cost more to insure than a 305bhp Focus RS.

My guess is that a fair few young lads don't actually declare their ST replica differences to their insurers compared to the standard car they have insured.

If I were you I'd phone a fair few companies first and ask when their quote would be based on what you plan to do so you don't get any shocks and then not declare it as a consequence.

The focu mk2 is a totally different car hence the price difference orivate sale for youre car valuation wise is 1200 if youre lucky with 3800 to spend you won't get a high spec model wurh decent miles on it you may get a zetec climate which has elec front windows sport seats sport susoension a.b.s heated front windows and mirrors and washers the sport model realky has nothing sporty on it the ti vct is again a bit more expensive to buy due to the engine 5doors are more common it is a family car and the reason it sold well so i wouldnt hold mt breath at getting a decent 3door most i looked at had been ragged senseless most insurance comoanies will require the full mod list and base there amount on that but you can pay as much for a rep as its more likeky to get nicked

If you want an ST then buy an ST.

A replica will not look as good (and will definitely NEVER go/handle as good)

Insurance will cost more for the ST but how much will you spend modifying your standard car? At least as much as you save in insurance, or more likely 3-4 times that. You mention that the insurance would go from £120/month to £200/month , so the difference is £80/month or £960/year. Doing modifications properly will cost thousands and after all that cost/time the car still won't be a good as a proper ST.

You say you have a budget of £3-4k plus what you get for your car.

Let's say £5k all in.

Add on £3k for mods (Front/rear bumpers, side skirts, ST headlights, paint, alloys & tyres, interior/seats, suspension, exhaust, and at least some engine performance mods) and you've easily spent £8k, or probably more.

What's a real ST cost? Someone said £7-8k?

And after you declare all the mods the insurance will probably be the same anyway - or more! (And if you don't declare them you're breaking the law)

And then consider resale value.

How many modified cars do you see for sale where the advert says "£10,000 spent" and the asking price is £1,500

Where did all that lost money go?

With a real ST you will get much much more of your money back when you sell.

If you want a fast car then buy a fast car and stomach the insurance - it genuinely will be the cheapest option overall. Don't waste money in trying to turn a slow car into a fast car.

A poor analogy:

If you want to marry a pretty girl, would you start off with an ugly girl and throw money at her on plastic surgery, liposuction etc?

If you love her yes.

Ha ha good point, it was a bad analogy.

But if we're very shallow and talking about looks only...

If you can't be with the one you love them love the one you're with.

If you want an ST then buy an ST.

A replica will not look as good (and will definitely NEVER go/handle as good)

Insurance will cost more for the ST but how much will you spend modifying your standard car? At least as much as you save in insurance, or more likely 3-4 times that. You mention that the insurance would go from £120/month to £200/month , so the difference is £80/month or £960/year. Doing modifications properly will cost thousands and after all that cost/time the car still won't be a good as a proper ST.

You say you have a budget of £3-4k plus what you get for your car.

Let's say £5k all in.

Add on £3k for mods (Front/rear bumpers, side skirts, ST headlights, paint, alloys & tyres, interior/seats, suspension, exhaust, and at least some engine performance mods) and you've easily spent £8k, or probably more.

What's a real ST cost? Someone said £7-8k?

And after you declare all the mods the insurance will probably be the same anyway - or more! (And if you don't declare them you're breaking the law)

And then consider resale value.

How many modified cars do you see for sale where the advert says "£10,000 spent" and the asking price is £1,500

Where did all that lost money go?

With a real ST you will get much much more of your money back when you sell.

If you want a fast car then buy a fast car and stomach the insurance - it genuinely will be the cheapest option overall. Don't waste money in trying to turn a slow car into a fast car.

A poor analogy:

If you want to marry a pretty girl, would you start off with an ugly girl and throw money at her on plastic surgery, liposuction etc?

I know the Focus ST p11ssses all over the standard models for looks and performance but its not so much the performance that im buying for as i mainly get stuck in busy traffic to and from work anyway its just the looks. And as i have been looking for a mk2 for the last few months i can count on 1 hand how many i have seen that look really good with better alloys etc. Every model i am seeing has either wheel trims or tiny alloys. I have owned 2 mk1's and my current car and u see hundreds for sale with 17 inch st alloys or 18 inch alloys that just set the car off alot better.. but all the mk2's for sale are just so bland and basic interior :(

I love Focus's having had three of them since passing my test and they have all been faultless but im almost getting swayed as im having such a hard time finding a mk2 that looks a little better than the standard one's on the road. I have been looking at mondeo's and im shocked at the great extra's and luxury interior on the st220's and the Titanium x's compared to the Focus of the same age.

Also forgot to add.. I dont get the MK2 TRIM choices??

The LX virtually has nothing on it and wheels that should be on a pram.

The SPORT i really dont get as there is nothing even sporty about it. It dosnt even have a sporty suspension etc like the Zetec.. Has this got a better 1.6 engine?

Zetec is nice with better alloys but virtually impossible to find in 3 door.

And the Titanium which is the nicest and at least has 17 inch alloys on from what i have seen but alot seem to be TD models and i would love a 2.0 petrol version as they seem to be cheaper to buy with the insurance and tax being more.

I bought a 2005 Titanium, and whilst it has a few extras such as the half leather and Sony headunit, I think the spec overall is slightly lower than the 2001 Leon I had prior to the Focus.

Pricewise, I don't think the Titanium has much of a premium over the Zetec or Ghia trims, at least not amongst the 2.0 TDCIs - it's just they are harder to come by in the first place.

Have you looked about for a mk2 zetec s, you don't get a huge amount of options from new but the mk2 is easy to mod inside with new touch screen stereo and all the body kit is there, wheel choice there's a few 17 and 18 options and the pcd is the same on all so smax, Mondeo, galaxy wheels will fit.