Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3.5Mm Jack Socket Mod Mk2 Focus

JTill

Hello All

Thought Id share my very minor mod for a 3.5mm jack socket. Ford wanted it put in the glove compartment how ever I wanted to be able to plug in/out whenever I wanted and didnt want a wire coming out the glove box looking messy etc.

I have instead put it in one of the blanking panels by the rear/front screen heater switches

I think it looks pretty smart!

The car did not come with the lead already installed so after a bit of research I found one on eBay that went straight to a 3.5mm Jack. I simply cut that off and soldered it onto a socket instead. Purchased for about £3.

The cable was about £13

this is first mod. I want to now go for footwell lights...a bit of research is going to be needed I think!

Enjoy.

post-39422-0-15056000-1357140799_thumb.j

post-39422-0-17016700-1357140849_thumb.j

post-39422-0-52326200-1357140907_thumb.j

• Like 2

An alternative is to buy a 1.5 mtr 3.5mm jack plug to 3.5mm jack plug extension lead and carefully route it from the glove box aux socket to the centre console, you can route it coming out under the glove box and under various bits of trim, no leads showing, works a treat.

• Like 1

Ford don't often think clever , putting USB and AUX in the glove box is a prime example.

My old Mk2.5 had them in the arm rest along with a 12v Aux socket , fantastic location .

Mk3 back in the stupid glovebox , but i use a memory stick and bluetooth., 12vAux in the middle of the center arm rest , what a total stupid place to put it if you had a Satnav , the wire would be trailing near gear stick and hand brake , well done Ford on that one.

On my nephews ST i moved his Aux from the glove box and into the garage door section , where he can fit his Ipoo touch in there as well.

On my 2.5, Ford put the Aux socket in the glove box, but the extra 12v power socket in the centre armrest, (no 2 Foci are the same). I agree, the centre armrest is the best place for all plug in accessories, re-routing these sockets to a more sensible place makes things a lot neater and removes the risk of snapping something off. Having something poking out of the dash board is just asking for trouble.

I've bought one of these panels in black:

$(KGrHqZHJ!4E-c,ubw(HBPqSrgEJqQ~~60_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item337e51a3dc

And the Ford USB music box:

3638_50741e93d7d0d_Zestaw_Monta__owy_USB_Music_Box.JPG

So I can have the 3.5mm and a new USB connector easily accessible. :)

(I've also got the smallest >USB memory stick< to put in it that protrudes about 5mm!)

I would have changed my head unit to one with dedicated USB connection, but as I've got the >Sat-Nav / integrated dual zone climate control<, it would have been an absolute mission!

I've bought one of these panels in black:

$(KGrHqZHJ!4E-c,ubw(HBPqSrgEJqQ~~60_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item337e51a3dc

And the Ford USB music box:

3638_50741e93d7d0d_Zestaw_Monta__owy_USB_Music_Box.JPG

So I can have the 3.5mm and a new USB connector easily accessible. :)

(I've also got the smallest >USB memory stick< to put in it that protrudes about 5mm!)

I would have changed my head unit to one with dedicated USB connection, but as I've got the >Sat-Nav / integrated dual zone climate control<, it would have been an absolute mission!

What does the ford USB Media Box do? Also the wiring harness looks odd. On the rear of my CD6000 facelift there is only one quadlock? I noticed in the picture it shows two? Does this mean it wont fit or am I missing something? Does the USB Just charge or will it play for instance from an iPhone or other USB Media Device etc?

I love the look of that panel with both the USB and 3.5mm it looks really nice and would be great to have both available in the car!

Regards

Also where do I get hold of the headunit you have? How much etc? I love the look of it!

The two plugs in the picture - One connects to the back of the radio, the other connects to the cars wiring harness meaning the USB box is connected between the two. That's how it inputs it music.

The USB media box lets you play music from your USB stick through your OEM Ford radio. But only if you have steering column controls.

See this thread for more info with PDFs etc...

The Radio / Sat Nav I have was an expensive option from new on my ST2 - glad I didn't have to pay for it!

I have the controls on a stalk under the steering wheel. will it still work? does it just come on when "aux" is selected?Where do I pick one up from?

Look at the link I posted above for more information including the fitting instructions. You can get them from Ford but check on the manufacturers site as to which kit you need:

(Ford should be able to tell you which one will work too)

http://www.ford-musi...roducts&group=1

MBX01 - Part number 1746768

MBX02 - Part number 1775643

MBX03 - Part number 1775644

• 1 year later...

Jtill, where did you get that aux switch panel from ? would be really useful to have one of those so I can do the same.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know where you can get just the AUX switch without the USB? Dont want to pay for the USB as my headunit doesn't support USB

• 2 months later...

id really like to put arc into my mk2 focus but cant work out the best way to do it - i do have the aux lead i installed in my mk6.5 fiesta and was thinking of putting that into the focus but i quite like the look of the aux in the heated window section.

I've recently bought an 06 1.8 tdci sport, really like the car, 1 issue i found was the front screen not being heated and the aux socket in the glove box, doesn't have a lead. I've had the stereo out and i think the socket is there for it but the 2 wires that come out of the socket go into the loom behind the dash and into the abyss. I did wonder if the lead had been routed somewhere else but i cant find it.

• 6 months later...

Till is your aux adapter a female to male blank with the aux plugged in to the back of it ?? 

if so where can i get one ??

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/2/2013 at 5:33 PM, NorthSussex said:

An alternative is to buy a 1.5 mtr 3.5mm jack plug to 3.5mm jack plug extension lead and carefully route it from the glove box aux socket to the centre console, you can route it coming out under the glove box and under various bits of trim, no leads showing, works a treat.

sorry to resurrect the this thread but how did you guys run the aux cable to the armrest as I cannot seem to find a hole to do this. in the glovebox

Run it directly down behind the dash from radio to console.

Plenty of room under the console to tuck the wire away.

Standard aux cable is junk so get one with a 3.5 plug on the end.

Sent from my SM-G930F

3 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Run it directly down behind the dash from radio to console.

Plenty of room under the console to tuck the wire away.

Standard aux cable is junk so get one with a 3.5 plug on the end.

Sent from my SM-G930F

so i should disconnect the old aux and then run the new one from the radio to the armrest. sorry am lost i have done mods before alone. usually have a mate. 

Yes, disconnect the original one and unplug from the radio connector block (quadlock).

Plug in the new one and drop the end down behind the dash.

Remove the drivers side kick panel to allow you to gain easy access to the space under the dash then run the cable wherever you want it.

Sent from my SM-G930F

690a1f1623a7270fb84d953ff6d235a9.jpg

I got this will it do?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

One of these-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400530047251

Sent from my SM-G930F

hey mate would this work for my oval shape unit, i have an 08 focus

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Aux-IN-Input-Adapter-Lead-for-IPOD-MP3-Gold-3-5mm-Jack-Socket-6000CD-/361468455768?hash=item542932eb58:g:jJMAAOSwX~dWl6iI

That will work fine, the quadlocks are identical.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Just now, Stoney871 said:

That will work fine, the quadlocks are identical.

Sent from my SM-G930F

cheers mate will look into this over the coming days. will just use an aux bluetooth adapter till i get this and and the trim removal tool