Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Flip Key Solution?

jeebowhite

Just come across this on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-FIESTA-MONDEO-PUMA-KA-COUGAR-TRANSIT-FOB-REMOTE-KEY-CONVERSION-KIT-/121006830253?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item1c2c91b2ad

Seems that you can take your imobiliser chip (hopefully its just a pull with slight force with pliers), take your circuit board, and just move it into the new Shell, then get the key itself cut!

Seems straightforward enough? Anyone actually tried this? I am tempted to try it later, see if I can plug in the chip and the cb then if it doesnt work to unlock the car,t hen just send it back...

The immobiliser transponder for the laser keys should be the 'carbon' type that look like a plastic chip rather than the previous glass tube.

Make sure you have the right transponder for the key and you should be ok.

Like you say, if it doesn't work you can always return it.

well as I need a spare cutting anyway, I have had Cube Auto Locksmiths advise that for £140 (surprisingly cheap compared to some!) they will come out and cut / program me a folder remote key for my car, Since I was looking at £130 ish for the normal transponder key and just shy of ten for the eBay (then whatever to cut) I think I will just get the flip done by them, but it looks like it could be a handy little answer to anyone who actually wants to get a flip key for a fraction of the cost!

If anyone does get one, feel free to share the feedback! I might still get one later anyway for my 'spare'

Thats what ive been wanting to do. The main body of the original key looks the same as the one that ive got at the moment but I dont know if the actual key bit is the same :/!it looks flatter on the picture so maybe not the right one for my car?

Hi Dan,

eBay offer both shapes (flat and 'nobbly'. It does sound a simple exchange process, and might be worth a shot, just depends how much it costs to get the blade cut.

The immobiliser chip is present and the wireless trasmitter unit is present, so all thats different is the plastic surrounding it...?

I'll need to get a look. I didnt think you could change mine because it was the nobbly kind

Thats the one :) cheers

Conversion from both is easy enough, might try one day :)

• 1 month later...

I've done the conversion from a 3 button to a flip key for both my MK 2 mondeo and my daughters MK 1 Ka, they're a bit fiddly to do, having to hold tension on the sping whilst putting them back together, but the end result is far better than i expected.

heres the end result

post-41018-0-53062800-1361145588_thumb.j

Naturally you will have to have the blade cut to suit your car, but all the other gubbins, transponder chip, battery and circuit board will transfer from your standard 3 button remote

as a cheap mod, its quite a good looking one to have done... If it wasnt for the fact that I bought the flip key as the secondary key, I would have looked to have convert it...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I've tried the transfer your parts over thing before and couldn't get the carbon chip out of the top of the remote, don't know whether has any

Ideas on moving the circuitry and carbon chip over?

I'm tempted by the one you just program but I only have one remote key and one not, would I even be able to program the key when it got to me?

I really want to do this so if anyone can move the circuitry or knows a sure fire way to move them over (always afraid I'll break the circuit board!). What does oem key even mean?

Actually any help would be appreciated!

Oem stands for original equipment manufacturer, i.e. Original parts and not aftermarket copies.

Regarding the key, like you say, if you break the chip or circuits then it's a real mare, tbh I'd recommend you buy a whole new key and then find an auto locksmith that will cut and code it for you.

I got a spare made up almost as soon as I bought my car, the way I see it is that if you lose/break that new key you still have the original ones to fall back on.

• 3 weeks later...

I was lucky with this car, the guy i bought it from had 3 keys for it, so using one of the old remotes from my previous mondeo i made my flip key using the chip, electronics and battery from the old mondeo remote, then once i had the blade cut for this car, I programmed it to start the car using the 2 working key system.

So now i have 4 keys for mine, one flip key, one remote key and 2 standard non-remote keys

• 1 year later...

That's not a bad guide at all

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

depends what you got and how well made it is, some are worse than others no doubt, but overall adding a spare key doesnt need to cost hundreds of pounds. even buying an official ford one, you can buy the bits online cheap enough and get the whole Ford branded key made up for around £70 or so, Ford would charge you about £175

Indeed they would.

They always insist on doing a diagnostic on the car as well so add another £90+ to that.

Sent from my S5

The key conversion I bought for my focus ghia mk 1.5 (I have 2 working keys) it came at 1 and I've been fiddling with it since. 1 of the 2 screws wire down after trying to unscrew it. I had to break it open slightly then the blade wouldn't flick. So I close it with 1 screw and that wore down, so I had to break it open to get my transponder back out. It's now in 4 bits and broken. Waste of £6, they say u get what u pay for. I'm miffed off

im going to leave negitive feedback

Edited by jeebowhite
Changed a hidden swear word

Cant say I blame you, I guess it really is a case of mixed success.

I would suggest though if you want an actual flip key for your main key, go down the route I did (see signature and post above) its the cheapest way to get it done. then just keep your current key as the spare.

If your car is a MK1 or 1.5 then you can indeed programme your own immobiliser.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Ford OC mobile app

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club