Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Streetka Brake Upgrades

Chester

Does anyone know if there are any standard brakes from bigger Fords that would fit inside the StreetKa 16" wheels and are 4 stud with the right geometry? Hopefully that would be a simple replacement for the standard kit. Is that quite a lot of effort on these cars?

You could fit mk3 mondeo calipers and ST170 discs (300mm) if you wanted to drill out the caliper carrier to 12mm? The calipers need "shaving" under 15" alloys so would imagine they're fine under 16s

Fiesta ST150 280mm calipers and discs will be a bolt on swap.

Very interesting on the Fiesta ST as a donor. Might look into that further. Thanks very much.

You could fit mk3 mondeo calipers and ST170 discs (300mm) if you wanted to drill out the caliper carrier to 12mm? The calipers need "shaving" under 15" alloys so would imagine they're fine under 16s

Fiesta ST150 280mm calipers and discs will be a bolt on swap.

The 300mm discs and mk3 Mondeo should fit fine under 16" wheels because the Mk3 can come with 16" wheels

All the mk3 mondeos have the same brakes from the 90Hp TDDI to the 150MPH ST220 apart from a minor rear caliper change in 04

it does not sound much but there is a big difference between 280 (11") and 300mm (12") (an extra inch)- just ask the wife - (only kidding!) :lol:

Yeah, is that going to be too agressive on such a small car? I mean I'm not looking to get the wife pulling stoppies in her car!

Yeah, is that going to be too agressive on such a small car? I mean I'm not looking to get the wife pulling stoppies in her car!

Just tell her that due to the extra inch she needs to be gentle ;)

What about the master cylinder? Do they all push roughly the same amount of fluid?

• 2 months later...

OK, it looks like Fiesta ST stuff will go straight on. The only problem is the disc diameter will increase from 258 to 278 mm which isn't a big improvement but will increase unsprung weight. So I've decided to go with standard size discs, uprated pads, braided hoses.

What do people recommend these days for uprated pads?

Cheers :)

OK, it looks like Fiesta ST stuff will go straight on. The only problem is the disc diameter will increase from 258 to 278 mm which isn't a big improvement but will increase unsprung weight. So I've decided to go with standard size discs, uprated pads, braided hoses.

What do people recommend these days for uprated pads?

Cheers :)

The size and weight of the disc & pads is a compromise or balance between weight and braking power

Because the unsprung mass includes the wheel, tyre hub and partly some of the axles/ suspension components, the extra mass of the slightly bigger disc etc may be realatively insignificant, the extra surface area of disc reduces fade, the extra contact patch between pad/ disc improves "bite" friction and wear rate, the larger diameter disc increases leverage on the wheel

258 to 278 does not seem a big difference, but is a bigger difference than it seems, once the diameter of the hub is subtracted (the "middle bit" :) )

Personally i would stick to Ford pads, they are good all round for initial bite, fade resistance and wear, unless you are going to go for EBC yellowstuff pads - "harder" "race" pads may be good for very heavy use but may lack initial "bite" and require more pedal pressure

A set of new (stock) discs and pads, properly bled and run-in with calipers that work ok (not sticking etc) and the brakes in good condition, should work pretty good

I dont think you mentioned what the problem was with the brakes

They just need replacing, they're old and lipped, so it presents an opportunity to upgrade.

• 11 months later...

The StreetKa has a relatively short wheelbase. Stronger brakes may cause the front wheels to lock up. Also there may be an issue with matching the larger brake disc diameter to the ABS. I would fit steel brake hoses for a firmer feel at the pedal.

• 1 month later...

I put Fiesta ST150 brakes on my daughters car yesterday. Straight swap, but HEL hoses were a bit of an issue, the standard are are grooved where they meet the metal pipe work. The HEL ones weren't, so had to do quite a bit of filing.

Good thing about sticking with the Fiesta ST ones is that I can upgrade to the Focus ST170 brakes by just upgrading the discs and the carriers as the callipers are the same.

I put Cosworth Streetmaster pads on also. Was a bit disappointed with the results as I was hoping for less pedal travel.

I have heard you can upgrade the master cylinder from other Fords. Anyone done this, is it an straight swap?

The StreetKa has a relatively short wheelbase. Stronger brakes may cause the front wheels to lock up. Also there may be an issue with matching the larger brake disc diameter to the ABS. I would fit steel brake hoses for a firmer feel at the pedal.

The ABS will prevent the front brakes from locking up, as the ABS can cope with the brakes reducing their efficiency during their lifetime (as they wear out) it can also cope with stronger brakes (eg bigger discs/ better calipers)

Many people have fitted bigger discs/ better calipers with good results, - it can change the character / feel or the brakes, often for better/ sometimes for worse

For example some mk3 Mondeo owners have upgraded their stock 300mm front discs (and single-pot calipers) to Focus ST225 320mm discs/ twin opposed calipers and have reported that the initial "bite" is "softer" and their is a delay (or spungy-ness) when the brake pedal is pressed at 1st, compared to stock calipers - this may be due to the greater caliper / slave cylinder volume - but they have also reported better fade resistance/ stronger braking from high speed, and have got acustomed to the different feel of the upgraded brakes

Look at rally cars or eg- Ken Blocks' fiesta - that has serious/ massive brakes and is probably lighter than a Streetka - (they were probably too small to begin with, anyway)

big brakes good - little ones bad :lol:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club