Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ignition Source For Dash Cameras Using 12V Socket

graham1979

Hello guys and gals,

I am using two dash cameras which are plugged into a 12v splitter which is plugged into the 12v power outlet. From a previous post on here we established that the 12v is always set to "on" and this will drain the battery if I leave the cameras plugged in (already had one flat) but as I often forget to plug them in setting off it makes having pointless. I have had a few near misses, none of which my fault, but it is amazing how the other drivers will always give you a strange stare as in to say "WTF are you doing that was your fault".

IS is possible to connect the 12v spliter to some form of ignition lead in the car so that they turn on when I start the engine and turn off when I turn the engine off?

The switch live behind the radio for the front camera would be a good one...

As for the rear, you'd probably need to run something from the front...

It's that or wire in a new circuit fresh, which is a lot more difficult these days! You could connect the radio switch live to a relay, and use that to turn a permanent 12v feed on and off

Nath had his connected directly to the ignition - think his dad wired it up.

I wouldn't know where to start, so my 12v splitter has an on/off button on the plug that sits in the 12v outlet socket - now just part of my routine, hand brake off, and flick the 12V switch on to power both front and rear cameras.

That's pretty much what's on the end of my splitter so I can flick the power on and off without pulling the whole thing out the socket.

Mine was from Halfords, a four way splitter, LED-less though

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club