Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Dvd Satnav Unit Fitted (Pics)

liam-20

If you have a look in the guides section there's a really in-depth post on how to install the reverse camera and what's needed to wire it all in to the head unit :)

I'd say usually the sat-nav itself comes with all the leads you need to get it up and running plus GPS antenna too - mine did.

You do need some extra cable for the camera but the guide covers it all. On top of that I seemed to mainly use electrical tape, cable ties and lots of felt tape installing mine :)

Just received the cheaper one and its fine exactly the same as the others from what i can tell so far steering wheel controls etc all work starts up with ford logo it came with the canbus wiring harness etc but for some reason i cant get the buttons to light up with the rest of the dash any ideas why?

Do you need to bridge the illumination feed from the original loom?

Do you need to bridge the illumination feed from the original loom?

Its looking like it, it came with a canbus and non canbus loom and it lights up with the non can but i loose the steering controls then.

The orange wire which shows as ILL on the manual is missing from the can loom should i bridge that?

Wish me luck! 2nd thoughts its late ill try tommorow -_-

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Ford OC mobile app

Wish me luck! 2nd thoughts its late ill try tommorow -_-

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Ford OC mobile app

Aye It's a tad late :d

Just received the cheaper one and its fine exactly the same as the others from what i can tell so far steering wheel controls etc all work starts up with ford logo it came with the canbus wiring harness etc but for some reason i cant get the buttons to light up with the rest of the dash any ideas why?

There is something wrong with the unit then. At first my illumination didnt work, so I got the seller to change the unit and then it worked.

It works with one loom but not the other so its more likely the loom thats at fault in my case ill swap the wires around tommorow and see what happens if it doesnt work itll be going back :)

Sent from my phone using Ford OC mobile app

swapped the orange wire and took a pin from the spare quadlock and everything works perfectly, this is a brilliant bit of kit im very impressed with it :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any ideas where i can get a mini usb memory stick, it comes with the leads for normal usb but it would be handy to plug n play on the mini usb on the front of the unit too....ebay just comes up with miniature sticks?

Sent from my phone using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

I usea Sandisc Cruzer Ultra Dual to transfer music straight off my phone and then plug the drive into my car.

USB one end and micro USB the other.

If yours is mini USB though then just use an adaptor, I don't know of any mini USB drives.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=151192190452&alt=web

• Like 3

I usea Sandisc Cruzer Ultra Dual to transfer music straight off my phone and then plug the drive into my car.

USB one end and micro USB the other.

If yours is mini USB though then just use an adaptor, I don't know of any mini USB drives.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=151192190452&alt=web

Thats probably the next best option then not too big either thanks

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what video formats are supported for playing off the SD card input?

Downloaded some music videos off Vimeo and put them onto the SD card but they won't play - just get message saying incorrect format.

Cheers

• Like 1

It seems to handle containers such as avi probably mkv too, in terms of codecs, xvid, DivX and mpeg It wont like anything with DRM which I suspect is the case with those videos. What codec and container is the file you are trying to play?

• Like 1

The files are all .mp4's downloaded through Realplayer - I'm afraid I wouldn't know the details with codecs and container.

Think I'll put a selection of files with different formats on the SD card or an USB stick and see which ones it likes.

• Like 1

download and extract the attached file, run it and click open, locate the video file and open it.

it will give you a stack of info but the important two are audio and video codecs,

that will help you establish what does and doesn't work

it should play mp4 so I suspect its been modified, it defo plays divx and xvid

GSpot270a.zip

• Like 2

Thanks for the file Darren that's a great help :)

From last nights testing I was able to play .avi and .mpg files.

With .wmv I got sound but no picture, and with mpeg it was picture but no sound.

Next step is to see if I can convert some of the .mp4's I'd downloaded to maybe .avi and try those. The interweb reckonss I can use VLC to do this.

May see if i've got any other .mp4 files which didn't come through Realplayer too.

• Like 1

Avi is a container, it isn't an actual codec, so you might have an mpeg video and a mp3 audio Ann wrapped up in an avi, I'm surprised wmv played anything.

Normally, most avi files off the net and from less then legit sources are using xvid codecs wrapped up in an avi container. Audio is the same, cept to say there are a quite a few that wont work for DRM reasons. The only videos I've tried as yet are xvid video ac3 audio wrapped in an avi they work fine :)

• Like 1

Thanks, I think I understood the technicalities of what you explained :blink:

It'll all sink in eventually :)

Ha ha, sorry, that was my fault, whacked with flu and typing on a phone, almost didn't make any sense to me either!

The boring parts are these

The most common audio codecs are

Mpeg 1/2 (which is your MP3 type files)

AC3

AAC

there are dozens of other ones but that's the most common 3 used, the last one there tends to be DRM protected meaning your going to be out of luck as this HU cant download licence files.

Video has similar codecs

mpeg 1/2

h(x).264

mpeg 4 /avc

then there are literally hundreds of variations of those, the problem with mp4 is some of these can use DRM to prevent you using them in the same way audio does, h264 tends to be extremely high quality and too much for our HU to handle

to complicate things further, can you place them in to a container (AVI, MKV etc) which allows you to mix and match audio and video codecs, the whole thing is designed to allow plenty of freedom for quality size and protection. what it really does is confuse the fook out of everyone.

if your going to convert any video files, id suggest using xvid which is a DRM free version of mp4 as a video and use mpeg or AC3 audio, that definitely works, ive not tried x264 video files, but if they work then that would be the ideal solution. x264 with AC3 audio, gives the best quality to size ratio there is but is pointless if it wont play them!

remember AVI and MKV are containers, they don't mean anything in their own right, just because it will play one avi type of file doesn't mean it will play the next, its the codecs within that matter

confused or bored out of your brains yet? if not try googling some of those codecs and you soon will!

hopefully it will help folk knowing the ins and outs of these things, its a far from simple exercise so I hope that might take care of some of the frustration your about to run in to! :)

• Like 1

That's a great help - it has made it easier for me to understand, I was always under the belief that the file extension showed the format of the file but see now that's not the case.

Will have a look at Xvid and see what I can do with that.

Cheers :)

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I've just purchased the same DVD player from sonic audio. I'm not very technical. All works ok but just a couple of issues.

Seems to revert the date and time back when turn car back on, then after a couple of minutes will be correct again.

Also, the LEDs do not come on when car lights are turned on. Can see now spare Orange wires as someone suggested so not sure if anyone can offer any help or if think the unit is just faulty?

very nice indeed nice looking unit

but you should change your heater knobs for round ones

(check my gallery)

i do like the reverse camera bit as well

I have a unit fitted very similar to this , but although it has canbus I can't get the steering wheel controls to connect and also the head unit buttons do not light up.

Any ideas ,suggestions would be most welcome.

The big let down with these is the instruction manuals are very vague at best.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club