Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Suspension Clunking On My New Metal

Chartman

Treated myself to a new '62 Metal. Very nice and almost as fast as my old ST170. My wife has an '11 Titanium...

Going over bumps, I get a sound like someone has whacked the rear N/S floorpan with a lump of 4x2 ! Seems to be at speeds between 20-30 mph.... Doesn't happen going over full width speed bumps. Reported my findings/complaint to my dealer who hasn't replied for over a week. Mentioned it in my Ford satisfaction survey- nothing :(

Doesn't happen on the wife's Tiatnium...

Before I go to my local dealer, anyone having similar problems ? If the car had a rear subframe, I'd suspect there were bolts loose/missing....

Apart from that, I love it. Pity the Mrs wouldn't let me have the 2.0 ST - she says I'm too old to be a boy racer :)

TIA

Have you got a spare wheel or the comedy tin of spray rubber? My car had a similar alarming thump and it was the polystyrene tray holding the jack jumping up and down.

I made a packing piece using a plastic bag and some window foam, fixed!

Yes I have the spray up puncture kit. I did look at the tray and it seems rigid.... Maybe I'll take another look and poack it out.... Thx for the suggestion.

It could be the top mount on one of the shock absorbers need tightening. There are often a few bolts that need nipping up after the first few miles.

• 2 weeks later...

I think have the same problem!

Ford Fiesta Metal, bought September 2012.

It seems to come from the offside (drivers side) rear wheel. Same speed as your description and seems to be recurring more often.

Did you get yours checked out? Let me know what the problem was as soon as you can?

I'm paranoid about this as the Metal is a great car and I don't want any further damage to occur!

Not yet, too busy... but I plan to take out the tyre repair thing and then maybe go and see my local Ford dealer tomorrow. The dealer I bought it from never replied to my email...

I'll let you know...

Took the tray out, no different. Took it to Inchcape F'boro and went for a dive with the foreman.... He wasn't convinced anything was wrong, but took it into the workshop when we got back. Reported 10 mins later 'nothing wrong'.. Only enough time for a quick look and definitely not up on the ramps....

So a blank there. Sent a long letter of complaint to the original dealer asking what he suggests the next step might be.... I suggested he took it away for a week and drove it around.

For my part, I might take it to my brother in law's garage , get it up on the ramps and take a look myself.

Took it to my brother in law's tyre garage and got it up on the ramps. Nothin obvious, but one of the guys took it out and cofirmed the 'clunk' . Sitting inside and 'jumping' up and down in the back and you can hear it.... Seems to come from the top shock mount but nothing conclusive. Mate also told me that he'd seen ( and fixed) a few older Fiestas where there was a gap at the top of the shock mount. He cut a bit off ( not quite sure what he meant by that) and that fixed the clunk.

Also noticed that when I change up, I just can't do it without the engine revs going up 100/200 rpm for a blip....

Also sometimes just won't go into reverse. Have to go neutral and try again....

Looking like a Friday car :(

Good read, thanks... I'll try the suggestions. Wonder if my dealer will point this out to me. If it's in the manual, it must be a recognised issue. Maybe he thought he would lose a sale if he told me....

• 4 weeks later...

Got mine in October and it clunked for the first time over speed bumps last week! First thing I thought about was this post! I just go very slow over them now and see how it goes

• 2 months later...

Any updates from anyone ? Just sent a letter of complaint to Ford Cust Services....

• 1 month later...

Third time in the garage, still no answers.... first they said it was the low profile tyres, then they said it was a stone they found in the rear valence ! Now they just admit defeat.....

Their suggestion is that I take their workshop foreman to demonstrate the clunk going over a sunken manhole cover. It's ony about 20 mm down. ...

Ford let me have a courtesy car and that doesn't do it.... it was a 1.0 Econotec and boy does it shift AND it sounds like my old Supra TT, being 3 cylinders. Seems much faster/livelier than my Metal and it revs to 6500 and has much longer gears- around 28mph/1000 in top. Very nice.