Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newbie Needs Advice

Butch_07

Hi all new here and looking for advice,

Not sure if I'm supposed to be posting this here but I have a little problem

I have a 2009 focus zetec and for some reason my heating does not heat up it constantly blows cold, i am not mechanically minded at all so any help needs to be put simple haha

I was originally told it would be my thermostat but after asking a mechanic he told me that it wouldn't be as its "too new"

I don't want to take it to a garage until i seek some advice and get ripped off

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks guys

Welcome along, but this area is mainly for introduction purposes, if you want a better exposure, your best posting directly to the fiesta Focus section.

It does sound so far like a possible heater matrix issue, what have you done to test the issue? Everything from restarting the car to knob and switch arrangements will help.

Ah ok sorry yea I have a focus, I read online that it may be the cable coming off the back of the knob which it isn't I have checked, apart from that not tested anything as I say not very mechanically minded, it's been like this for a few months

Apologies, first of all meant to say focus section secondly seems my phone double posted, so any mods if you could remove a dupe post it would be appreciated.

Car is bog standard

Someone says it could be the heating matrix needs bleeding

This means nothing to me haha

Ok so start the engine and hold revs till the car warm up is done, put fan to speed one then move temp dial from Red to blue slowly, any difference? Then move to blower two, repeat, three, repeat and max, repeat. Then try same test with air con on.

Your looking for change in temperatures and where it occurs. Also listening to the noise the heater makes, I. E does the noise pit h rise..

When the dial is on red its not as cold as when its on blue however it's not warm at all, can't hear no noise change really

Some times the cable gets tangled , remove the heater controls and check the cable is attached and free running

In that case its more likely to be the matrix, I would advise that your probably going to need to take it to a garage, unless someone can advise if its within the documentation of the Haynes manual...

Speak with Ford, its possibly only just out of warranty and a good will gesture from them may result in a free resolution...

So the fan is working and you have checked the flap is opening via the cable , so could be air lock in heater matrix or thermstat , just because it's 2009 does not mean the therm has not failed.

I guess you could find inlet and out hose's , start the car , they should remain cool until the car reaches temperature , if the they start to warm gradually then thermostat could be stuck open.

my first suggestion is air lock? then thermostat......

Apologies, first of all meant to say focus section secondly seems my phone double posted, so any mods if you could remove a dupe post it would be appreciated.

Done ;)

the thermostat wont have any affect on the heater matrix circulating warm coolant - when the thermostat is closed the coolant circulates the engine and matrix.

so you should find the pipes heat up gradually as the engine does. you could also check both hoses are getting warm though, only one getting warm could indicate an air lock.

I would check the temperature knob is actually moving the flap that controls the air flowing through the matrix

A breakdown of the heater resistor will reduce the effectiveness of the blowers, you may maintain air volume relative to the setting selected but the heat just won't be there.

These diagrams concern the MK2 but should have no particular differences from the MK2.5 layout-

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m522/stoney871/scan0003.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m522/stoney871/scan0004-1.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m522/stoney871/scan0006-1.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club