Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford C Max 1.6 Tdi 54 Plate Cutting Out !!!!!!

Tommy3010

It all started with what felt like a slight flat spot a few weeks ago. Today, car started fine, all going well for about 3 miles then suddenly at about 3000 revs a puff of black smoke and complete power loss ( all electrics stayed on ) had to re start engine while rolling down dual carriage way lol. Started first time, all was fine till between 3/4000 revs and same again. No engine fault lights. This car has had a new Egr valve less than 9 months ago, but when that happened, there was engine fault light, and it was in limp mode, this is not the same. Please help, any ideas appreciated. Thanks, Tom.

Hello and welcome,

It sounds like it could be fuel starvation, I would start with the fuel filter and go from there

I had thought that too (Or maybe a failing fuel pump) but isn't the throttle of a diesel control by fuel flow (As opposed to a petrol car that is controlled by airflow), and therefore if the flow was restricted (Due to a dirty fuel filter or failing fuel pump) then wouldn't that just prevent the car from accelerating any further, rather than actually cutting out?

I guess its not that simple with a turbo car as the fuel flow and airflow need to be in balance, so maybe with the fuel restricted the ECU detects that the mixture is way too lean and therefore cuts the power.... but if this were the case then I'd expect to see a fault code.

I would say your looking for fuel starvation, but perhaps not due to lack of fuel. It's often seen that you get air sucked into the fuel lines through an old filter then it's more suffocated by air than starved of fuel.

Would u say to start with the fuel fitter and are they hard to change never changed a td one

And how come at idle I can rev to max and not a thing just like normal

And how come at idle I can rev to max and not a thing just like normal

At idle it will take less fuel to get the engine revving hard than it does when under load

And the more load, the higher the pressure in the pipes, and the higher vacuum rate, which means that there is more risk of sucking air into the system...

But there was loads of black smoke when it 1st than it now none lol just drive no problem them does it i just dont wont to spend 60 pound and its not it lol

With no warning lights or otherwise your only other thing to consider is getting it hooked up to a live data scanner and looking for any odd readings.

The black soot sounds like the exhaust was clogged, this would reduce the cars natural breathing and would starve you of power / suffocate the car.

Call your local dealer, give them the number plate, and get them to confirm if you have a DPF, dependant on the mileage, you may find that you need to add EOLYS fluid, or replace the DPF (again, only if you are equipped with one)

I had my egr valve change 9m ago so sure it's not that as for fuel filter how come I can turn key of then on again and it starts ok I unplugged maf sensor to and went round went for 10 mins and did it again so can't be maf sensor lol I do still love fords I do lol

If it did it again with the maf sensor unplugged then that could be your answer.

If unplugging it has no affect on its running then it would indicate that it's faulty, with the maf sensor unplugged the car will generally run pretty poor.

If you have access to a live data reader you could confirm this

maf sensor unplugged= car idles/runs very poor and should almost cut out/cut out. under load. check air filter, take out maf sensor and give it a clean up........ just as stef says that could be your problem if its running the same plugged and unplugged.....

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club