Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help, Power Steering Problem

screamer

My car has just started to steer as if it has 2 front punctures, had no problems with it before, i stopped for about 3 minutes, then started the car again and it drove off like i had a double puncture, when drive in a straight line, the steering wheel centre is like a 2 o'clock position in stead of 12 o'clock

the steering also feels wobbly :wacko:

any help?

is it electric power steering?

Had u gone over a pothole or anythin? Sounds like your trackings off or maybe your steering column?

i did about 5 days ago, cars been fine since then, i've been out in the car a couple of times today, no problems, stiopped off at the butchers for a few minutes, started back up again and it was driving like the whacky races

What condition are your tyres in? Tread depth etc? Have a look and see if theyre wearing more on one side etc

I would strongly suggest you have someone have a look over the suspension for your own piece of mind - it seems strange that this has started happening all of a sudden. It might also be that if something is out you are going to start scrubbing tyres and cost yourself a fortune.

Yup the mk7 has electric power steering. Could be a bent track rod or something.

cheers for the replies guys

i phoned a mates dad who used to work in a ford dealers, he kinda suggest to put it in there, as they'll have all the right tools to fix it & diagnose it

i'll get it booked in tomorrow hopefully

he also did to get a price first :lol: he must know there expensive!!!

let us know how you get on

will do.

my dads coming up in the morning, i'll get him to drive it and i'll look at the wheel alignment, also the track rob end and all the other bits in the back of the wheel & rack before it goes to the garage

well, it looks like the wheel alignments has went on it, the other wheel is straight, so is the steering wheel

xljj1e.jpg

just had an update from the garage, some tie rod end is bent like a banana, wheel is buckled beyond use & theirs a cut to the tyre

i'm going to have to try and claim off of the council/roads department :(

just had an update from the garage, some tie rod end is bent like a banana, wheel is buckled beyond use & theirs a cut to the tyre

i'm going to have to try and claim off of the council/roads department :(

Sounds like it was a pretty bad pothole.

By the looks of it, you have the original titanium alloys, which were more prone to buckles, but that said, if it has damaged parts of the front suspension and/or steering, no alloy would have stood a chance.

Sounds like it was a pretty bad pothole.

By the looks of it, you have the original titanium alloys, which were more prone to buckles, but that said, if it has damaged parts of the front suspension and/or steering, no alloy would have stood a chance.

thats right, original alloys, 58 plate titanium, i did read on here that they are soft

the garage i've used, the owner phoned up and when he was saying all that was wrong with it, he was quite surprised about the shape of this tie rod (i don't know what it is)

it was a fair hole, i see that it's now been filled in by the council.

You'll get better results with the council if you get photos...

I'm not sure if it varies from council to council, but where i live it has to be the first complaint of it i believe and be of a certain size...

Good Luck!

thats right, original alloys, 58 plate titanium, i did read on here that they are soft

the garage i've used, the owner phoned up and when he was saying all that was wrong with it, he was quite surprised about the shape of this tie rod (i don't know what it is)

it was a fair hole, i see that it's now been filled in by the council.

The tied rod is what pushes or pulls on the wheel hub to turn the wheel when you steer. I would definetly pursue it with the council. Write down when you hit it, see if you can get some pics of the damage (while it is on the garage ramp would be great), and go take a pic of the pothole, even if it has been filled in. (it is still proof there was one).

If you can't get a pic of it on the ramp, without damaging the car anymore if you can, stop the car with the steering on full lock in the direction of the damaged side, that should give you a good view into the arch and the tie rod.

thanks for the replies guys

unfortunately i'm going offshore first thing in the morning, i'll ask my brother to get some pictures of the pothole and i'll phone the garage to see if they can take a couple of photo's, i know the owner wife very well, so hopefully they'll manage it.

our local paper posted on FB about potholes & i seen the local council replied to it giving out their phone number, i commented 3 times after them saying about this pothole, i know the time & date as i was taking my GF & her pal away out on the wednesday night.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club