Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vibration When Idle

adymac

Hi all,

This is my first post and so apologies if it is in the wrong place etc. Recently become the owner of a Mondeo 2.0 titanium.

I wondered if anyone could shed any light on a bit of an issue i have on my Mondeo.

Model - 58 plate Mondeo Titanium 2.0l - 69,000 miles

I bought the car second hand in Dec 12 ( 5 weeks ago) where the prev owner told me it had been stood for around 4 week prior to me buying it.

I took the car for a test drive and didnt notice anything wrong. it was in excellent condition and so i bought it.

I took the car in to Ford for a service just before xmas and they told me there was a vibration when idle (which i had noticed after driving it for a week). They initially thought it was misfiring but when that was not the case they said it was probably the flywheel worn and did i want it replacing there and then at a cost of £1400. I said to leave it for now and i am not really convinced that it is the flywheel.

The bonet and dash vibrate a bit when idle but not when driving, there is no vibration in the clutch pedal when idle or revving the engine, there are no noises and the gear changes are quite smooth. the vibration is noticable but not too much. There are no vibrations in the lower gears either.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what it could be and whether or not it is more than likely the flywheel?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Ady.

Get a second opinion and check for worn engine mounts first

Does the vibration go away/change when you press the clutch? If not, it ain't the flywheel.

My first thought is the idle control valve. You can remove it and clean it up, so all it'll cost you to eliminate that is the price of a can of carb cleaner.

Ford are !Removed! buggers with this policy of replacing stuff on the off-chance. Trading Standards should sort them out.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Ive checked the vibration when the clutch is pressed and there is no difference.

I have looked for the Idle Control Valve but cannot seem to find it. Is there an easy way of identifying it? The model is a 2.0 ltr Titanium, 58 plate. mk 4.

Thanks

Ady

Have you got a Haynes manual? If your going to work on the car yourself it would be a worthwhile investment.

• Like 1

Yes i have a Haynes manual for my model but the idle control valve is not located anywhere.

Thanks

I suspect it is more likely to be a slight mis-fire. If it had been standing for a few weeks unspent fuel in the injectors may have varnished and is restricting the flow slightly. A good fuel cleaner in the tank may sort it but I would get the fuel filter changed first, if it hasn't been changed for a while.

A slight mis-fire on idle wouldn't throw up any codes and can be a nightmare to find what is causing it, which is why your Ford garage dismissed it. Our old SportKA developed the same problem everytime it was left for a week in the winter.

Thanks a lot for the replies.

I am going to get a fuel cleaner in to the tank and see if that helps.

I phoned a different Ford dealer earlier primarily to ask about the idle control valve which they told me are computerised on my model. I explained the issues i was having with the vibration and he basically told me not to worry and that due to it being a 2.0l the bonnet and dash will vibrate slightly. He said it is definately not the flywheel as i would know about it once that started to go. Also he said if it was his car he would not go to much expense in trying to eliminate the vibration as it will always do it.

Funny that one ford dealer wanted £1400 and the other one 10mile away said it is fine.

Thanks a lot for the replies.

I am going to get a fuel cleaner in to the tank and see if that helps.

I phoned a different Ford dealer earlier primarily to ask about the idle control valve which they told me are computerised on my model. I explained the issues i was having with the vibration and he basically told me not to worry and that due to it being a 2.0l the bonnet and dash will vibrate slightly. He said it is definately not the flywheel as i would know about it once that started to go. Also he said if it was his car he would not go to much expense in trying to eliminate the vibration as it will always do it.

Funny that one ford dealer wanted £1400 and the other one 10mile away said it is fine.

Think I know which one I would trust in the future.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Any luck with this?  I have the exact problem with my mk4 mondeo 1.8 tdci zetec. Please help 

Thanks 

• 1 year later...
On 15/01/2013 at 8:09 PM, adymac said:

Hi all,

This is my first post and so apologies if it is in the wrong place etc. Recently become the owner of a Mondeo 2.0 titanium.

I wondered if anyone could shed any light on a bit of an issue i have on my Mondeo.

Model - 58 plate Mondeo Titanium 2.0l - 69,000 miles

I bought the car second hand in Dec 12 ( 5 weeks ago) where the prev owner told me it had been stood for around 4 week prior to me buying it.

I took the car for a test drive and didnt notice anything wrong. it was in excellent condition and so i bought it.

I took the car in to Ford for a service just before xmas and they told me there was a vibration when idle (which i had noticed after driving it for a week). They initially thought it was misfiring but when that was not the case they said it was probably the flywheel worn and did i want it replacing there and then at a cost of £1400. I said to leave it for now and i am not really convinced that it is the flywheel.

The bonet and dash vibrate a bit when idle but not when driving, there is no vibration in the clutch pedal when idle or revving the engine, there are no noises and the gear changes are quite smooth. the vibration is noticable but not too much. There are no vibrations in the lower gears either.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what it could be and whether or not it is more than likely the flywheel?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Ady.

Hi Ady,

did u get this problem sorted?

If you only bought it in December and it is a major problem you could get your money back or get the person who sold it to you to pay towards the cost. "sold as seen" is a meaningless term if the vehicle has a major underlying problem. It has to be of reasonable and roadworthy condition. Small claims court forms are easy to come by and fill in. It's unreasonable to buy a car and then have to spend £1000's on it within three weeks unless you bought it for a tenner and were aware of the problem.

• 1 month later...

My Mondeo was vibrating on idle, it turned out to be the flywheel was failing. Needed a new flywheel and clutch, I put in a solid one, which is cheaper and lasts the lifetime of the car.

17 hours ago, Niall Houghton said:

My Mondeo was vibrating on idle, it turned out to be the flywheel was failing. Needed a new flywheel and clutch, I put in a solid one, which is cheaper and lasts the lifetime of the car.

If I put a solid flywheel in my 1.8 TDCi I'd have no eyeballs left in my head AND my car would probably start slowly shaking to pieces from the vibration! :biggrin:

On 04/02/2018 at 11:59 AM, Niall Houghton said:

Well the lifetime of the crankshaft 

• Like 1

I had heard all sorts of stories like this when I was researching what type of flywheel to put in. I put a Valeo solid flywheel in and there is no vibration at all. The solid flywheel with matching clutch, with new bolts and CRC were considerably cheaper.

Although the crankshaft spigot bearing is starting to fail.

I removed the flywheel and packed the space behind and the centre bore of the bearing with grease.

I positioned a metal rod in the entrance of the bearing internal bore. 

I struck the end of the rod with a hammer several times, with the compressed grease forcing the bearing from position.

I thoroughly cleaned the bearing housing in the end of the crankshaft.

I tapped the new bearing into position, up to the stop, using a tube on the bearing. 

I then refitted the flywheel.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club