Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Diesel Sudden Power Loss Then Stall

bprecey

have you tried double locking the doors???? do any other lights stay on? try wiggling the key in the ignition????

somebody has changed the battery, and it stopped..... check if ur batt is calcium..... some body else has had the same problem, and they changed the headunit and it stopped...another changed to indicator/light stalk and it stopped ... but it should go off after 15 mins max..... to be honest, to me just sounds like a dodgy wire some where...... could be wrong tho

I thought battery at first and replaced it with a better one. Didn't make any difference. Had a bit of an odd thing that seems to be repeatable. If I have the engine running and turn off and take out the key without locking it switches off after about 10 mins. Lock the doors and it then comes on again permanently once more. :-(

sounds like you might have a dodgy wire somewhere then...... so let me get this right, it works as it should untill you central lock the doors???? do you use key? try using the key? dont know if these will do anything but worth a try i suppose

Thanks for the help so far. Tried locking with the key in the door and / or the remote. No difference. If I don't bother to lock it, it works as it should.

Not sure if it's related But if I unlock the car and then don't open any doors the Car will lock itself again as I suspect it should. The only thing is, if the car locks itself, the alarm will go off guaranteed. Perhaps these two things may be related?

Hello again people. I have visited a local garage and they were very kind and gave me a free diagnostic. The car has come up with four fault codes. Could anyone offer any further advice given my issues with the sudden power loss. The first one is P0087 - Fuel rail/system pressure too low. 2. P1180 Fuel delivery system low. 3. P1551 Injector circuit cylinder 1 out of range. 4. P2459 (DPF) Number of DPF regeneration cycles too high. Thanks in advance......

Moving this thread to the Focus sub forum, as its not Servicing or MOT related :)

That combination of error codes sounds to be to possibly be a duff sensor, or a fuel filter clog that is causing those errors to combine. I think the low fuel is causing the diesel it burn improperly, letting deposits out and clogging the dpf... Because of this, the engine is forcing a regen more than it should be.

When was the last time the EOLYS fluid was topped up? or did I miss it in the thread...

I

That combination of error codes sounds to be to possibly be a duff sensor, or a fuel filter clog that is causing those errors to combine. I think the low fuel is causing the diesel it burn improperly, letting deposits out and clogging the dpf... Because of this, the engine is forcing a regen more than it should be.

When was the last time the EOLYS fluid was topped up? or did I miss it in the thread...

Hi thank you for your help. I have no idea about the EOLYS as I've only owned the car six months. It hasn't been looked at as far as I'm aware. The last two days the power loss issue has gone. So a faulty sensor is entirely possible. Is it likely to be expensive to fix if it is that? I've nervously booked the car in to a Ford dealer for them to take a look. Typical if they can't reproduce the issue as its temporarily stopped doing it!

Another vote for clogged fuelfilter... Doesent need to be much, few drops of water is enough to mess up whit it :)

For the display, i have the same "small obc" and it stays on, when you turn the engine off, and goes out when you lock the doors. But when you open the doors, it lights up.

So, if your alarm goes off when the doors automaticly relock, there must be something jinxed, for somereason when the doors lock, the GEM thinks that the door lock pulse is actualy door open, causing the cluster to light up, and the alarm to go off.

This could be bug in the GEM, or faulty doorlock module. :/ Dont know how fords door lock module is made, but if its eaven remotely related to VAGs, then that would be my money shot.

Ok just got back from Ford Garage. I needed a new fuel filter apparently. It was badly clogged. Once changed, my fuel flow and pressures returned to normal working parameters even under load. Glad that's sorted. Thanks for all your help with this everyone.

The Electrical problem is apparently my own fault. Apparently there are multiple errors in the log due to me using an after market audio system. This is also related to my alarm and central locking issues. Is there anything I can do to work around this. I struggle with the fact they made the whole system interdependent. I asked, "can't you tell it to not check for ford audio?" I was told in short that I have to remove my car audio and replace it with the original.

Any ideas on a workaround?

having the same issue with cutting out? not doing it all the time- has happened twice within quick succesion. The engine doesnt die until you dip clutch or come to stop. but starts straightaway. no warning lights either. How much was the fuel filter to replace please pal? think mine maybe the issue too -as i have run down quite low on few occasions....infact most of the time lol . thanks

Hello there. I had diagnostics done as well and mine came to about £164. I'd assume less than that. Hope it gets sorted for you.

Hello there. I had diagnostics done as well and mine came to about £164. I'd assume less than that. Hope it gets sorted for you.

I have the trip computer light issue, mine stays on all night. I also have an aftermarket stereo, but I think I will take it to my local dealer, and pay them the £65 to diagnose it.

Cool. Let me know how you get on. If there is a way round this, it will be very helpful. Thanks

• 1 year later...

Been a long time but I removed the expensive after market audio and put the ford one back with the addition of the IO Play 2 audio system. It works alongside the car audio.

All problems immediately ceased. It appears these cars can't cope with not having it's own audio installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Glad you got the lighting and locking issues sorted out in the end,,, seems a bit !Removed! minded of Ford not allowing the alarm to work with Your choice of radio.....

With regards to the blocked / cutting out issues who's fuel are you using?

I usually use Morissons fuel. I think the problem with the power loss was down to a catalogue of problems.

The oil filter ruptured due to vibration / rubbing.

Turbo was connected to the engine block without a gasket.

The intercooler pipe was badly split in a difficult to see place.

All of these issues are apparently quite common (except missing gasket).

This was all very expensive along with getting the DPF replaced!

Seems to be great now it's sorted.

Ouch.... so what was the final bill?

Have a read around about which diesel to use and the pros and cons IMO its best to use Quality fuel for not much more....

The total bill with everything came to just over £1200 with parts and labour. -_-

After all of that, the service is due now and MOT next month! Lol.

Ouch....that would bring a tear to a glass eye...

However I'm glad you got it sorted out and driving how it should :)

• Like 1

Agree, most would have chucked it in long before then!

• Like 1

I wasn't expecting it to be that expensive. It didn't happen all at once. They'd repair one thing and I thought it's sorted now but it wasn't. I'd invested so much in the car, it seemed right to do it.

Had I foreseen the situation, I'd have jacked it in and got shot right at the start. Lol -_-

• 3 years later...

When driving my Focus TDCI 1.6, I have a major issue. When driving in any gear I would put my foot down to accelerate and at about the point the turbo would boost I suffer complete power loss and the engine will stop. If I turn off the ignition and turn immediately on it will work fine until under load again. If I accelerate gently it is usually ok. 

I had the same problem - changed the fuel filter and it solved it.  - Thanks

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club