Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Washer Jet Non Return Valves

jon-v8

I'm starting to get fed up with water marks left on the bonnet after using the washer jets.

I'm going to order some non return valves to hopefully solve the problem, but does anyone know if these are the correct ones and size?

TIA!

• Like 1

Even with the valves I still think you'll get a little dribble....

However if not, please post your results and it may become a useful mod!!

Search forum. Have already posted this "mod" with pictures some time ago.

This mod has already been done - although I didn't think to ask what the results were!

I could be wrong, but most cars already have non-return valves, (to stop the fluid from falling back down the tubes) - mine does

fine mist spray nozzles might work better

I thought it was only me lol but I have the mk3 mist nozzle and it leaves a nasty trail on my bonnet, when its dry it it turns white its driving me bonkers guys

i must admit mine does it as well the more you have to use them the bigger the trail very annoying

I already forgot about those nasty marks on the bonnet since I fitted non-return valves last year. During that time I had 3 or 4 single marks (nothing like before) and they where gone when I washed the car, no problem at all, it did not require special attention / treatment like before.

I think its a worthy mod so ill look into getting some and giving it a bash i remember when you did it and was meant to buy the valves then and got snowed under with other stuff

Can any1 point me in the right direction as to where to get the check valves n many thanks for your help

Cant wait to stop seeing those looooong nasty trails lol

I run a Mondeo, it already has non- return valve/s built into the screen washer system (if it wasnt so cold i would go out and take a picture of it/them)

All the non return valve/s does is stop (or slow down) the screenwash from running back to the washer bottle/ resovior and the lines filling with air and taking longer to work

Adding (more) non-return valve/s will not stop the bonnet from getting marked with water (unless its due to a reduction in waterspray- so the windscreen washer jets may not work so well)

This is definately something someone has to try out and let us know how they get on

FOCA, sorry mate, but it looks like you did not read the whole thread and linked thread (post #4). Do it first please. It works, for me and many other Focus users from different countries. I found this solution on other forum and shared here.

BTW Focus has one factory fitted non-return valve too.

FOCA, sorry mate, but it looks like you did not read the whole thread and linked thread (post #4). Do it first please. It works, for me and many other Focus users from different countries. I found this solution on other forum and shared here.

BTW Focus has one factory fitted non-return valve too.

Ahh - the thread makes more sense now -

The cars already have 1 non-return valve (that does not work that well) and you add 2 (1 per nozzle)

Now i would like heated nozzles with adjustable aim fine mist nozzles with multiple jets - that would be good

i have them one mine and somehow i still get the dreaded dribbles. i must have done something wrong :wacko:

That's interesting - I was just about order the valves, and now reading you're still getting the excess screen wash running out?

From what Peter has said, he hasn't had an issue at all??

i have them one mine and somehow i still get the dreaded dribbles. i must have done something wrong :wacko:

Mine is still standard, but when i read this thread i thought the screenwash system already has non return valves (or a non return valve) fitted (to stop the screenwash fluid draining back to the bottle/ resovoir and the lines filling with air )

So i thought, if the system already has non return valve(s) fitted, how can fitting more help unless its restricting the flow of water/ reducing the amout of spray going onto the windscreen

Perhaps its more to do with the exact design of the nozzles, jets etc, the pressure generated by the pump, etc

Im going to give it a try myself (more out of scientific curiosity) personally im not really that bothered by water on my bonnet, im just happy when the car starts, runs, gets me where i want to ho, and how quick it is, everything else is a bonus (and i hardly ever clean it!)

guys, eter hasnt had a problem, i think i might have not fitted mine correctly.

i fitted mine but there is a bit of a length from the jet and the valve, i dont think there should be.

The whole problem is strange, focus is my first car with this issue. And unlike FOCA said it is not only water on the bonnet, those marks were hard to get rid off, normal washing was not enough.

The way I see it Ford did not design washing system correctly, like many other things. Yes, there is a non return valve to keep the fluid inside tubes and prevent it from going back to the tank and actually this together with diameter of tubes and angle of the nozzles may be causing the problem. Tubes are about 5mm, while my previous cars were using 3mm tubes as far as I remember. When we use washers we are left with tubes full of washing fluid. While driving car is shaking and air slowly gets inside tubes from the nozzle side, obviously it pushes washing fluid out. Air must be getting pretty far, as nozzles dribble for a long time causing marks on the bonnet. I believe it happens due to "large" diameter of tubes. For the same reason Ford had to use non return valve as larger tubes require more time to fill, without valve it would take more time from pressing button to spraying from the jets and in some situations wiper would be moving on dry dirty windscreen causing scratches.

When we fit non-return valve close to the nozzle there is only about 1 cm of tube filled with washing fluid. Even IF it will dribble it will be a very small amount of fluid.

Other thing is I have used 3mm tube to connect non-return valve with nozzle, the only available in the store on that day. I remember I had to heat it up to fit. It is very short piece, valve and nozzle almost touch each other. The result for me is as written few posts earlier.

Sorry for such a long post, shared few thoughts I had while having a beer :D

Modifications : - re-designing/ engineering everything Ford never got right.

Peter, can you put up a pic of your return valve/wahser jet?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club