Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Centre Console Switch Plates

vince_13

i want to install a SPST switch for my audio and was looking for somewhere to mount it in the centre console, i thought of going for the blanking plates next to heated windscreen etc (i dont have esp button nor the airbag button) but looking on another post it shows a picture of them having a socket on the back,

can it be done? is there a better place to mount it?

On a Titanium , the wiring and plugs are there for the Air bag and ESP , they just slot into the blanking plates so you can remove the wires from them and use the blanking plate as you wish.

ok thanks, going try and find some spares on eBay so can try it out, and not ruin my current plates B)

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys i changed my mind, and im thinking of adding a switch into the 12v socket in the centre console (hate the sight of the poxy black cover) however as it a 12v outlet ill prob pull it out and leave in under the centre console, the switch im looking at is something along the lines of this

http://www.e-switch.com/product/tabid/96/productid/78/sename/pv7-series-sealed-long-life-illuminated-anti-vandal-switches/default.aspx

can anyone post any pics of the centre console (removal and underneath maybe)

Edit: pv6 diameter too small for socket hole,

If you look at my sig below and look at my cup holder guide it will show you how to remove them

brilliant thanks preee, so if i remove the gear stick gaiter i can push it up from underneath

brilliant thanks preee, so if i remove the gear stick gaiter i can push it up from underneath

No you will have to remove as the guide , first the hand brake cover secured by 2 HEX screws then the Cup holder Screw then it will pull up to allow access to the Garage door chubby securing screws , seems a lot to do but its only 5 minutes

my apologies i wrote the first thread wrong, i want to replace the 12v sock outlet (or engine start button) in the centre console (between cup holder and gear stick) and put in another push button switch

and if i remove the gear gaiter i presume i can push up the socket from underneath and unplug

To remove the socket from above you need to push on two black plastic lugs that you will see on the inside wall of the socket and then draw the socket out.

Careful not to short out the socket with a screwdriver.

You may be better off using wooden or plastic tools.

I have seen the proper tool for removing the sockets on eBay from America but the postage is nearly three times the price of the tool.

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=261157370987

haha its looking more work than i thought now haha in my fiesta it was a metal ring that just popped into a hole in the dash (i broke a clip and it kept falling out) i thought it would be the same with this 1

It really isn't very hard to get to :)

If you had the proper tool you would only have to push it into the socket to dislocate the two small lugs but anything wide enough to push both in at the same time should work.

Couple of minutes work mate.

ohh i see the lugs are inside the "barrel" not underneath?

wow what more can i ask for thankyou :D dont suppose you know the diameter of the hole? (minus the silver ring)

The diameter of the 12v socket alone is 26mm and the outer diameter of the hole on the console trim is 33mm

excellent thanks, so in theory i can remove the 12v socket and install a switch with an overall diameter of 26mm

best get searching :)

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys

just juggling ideas through my head, if i was to go with 1 of these switches

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Metal-push-button-LED-Switch-Momentary-/181079516136?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&var=&hash=item2a292e23e8

(not a momentary switch obviously)

could i use the existing +12V and ground from the cig lighter for the LED illumination? would this drain the battery when engine not on due to the led drawing current?

could i use the existing +12V and ground from the cig lighter for the LED illumination? would this drain the battery when engine not on due to the led drawing current?

Yes you can use any earth feed to allow illumination of the led

But in any case the led in the switch will only illuminate when power is flowing to the item your sending power to.

looking at the pin out on the bottom of the eBay page, it shows a +ve and -ve for the led, i presumed that with those connected it would be light permanently?

I believe that you connect the led +ve and -ve to the power supply, and then whatever you're switching to the other three. Basically, on the three pins at the bottom, you connect these as you normally would. The switch will then function perfectly (minus the led). Wiring the led up to a power source will allow the led to light up when the switch is on (I.e, the switch switches led on and off as well). Hope this makes sense.

looking at the pin out on the bottom of the ebay page, it shows a +ve and -ve for the led, i presumed that with those connected it would be light permanently?

If it has seperate wiring for the illumination then you could splice it in to the illumination feed for the dash

Then if you dim your dash light via dimming wheel,

Your extra lights will dim too.

yeh i was going to wire the led in with the operation of the switch i.e when the sub is on the led in the switch is on, and vice versa.

lenny i dont have the dimmer dial nor did i have the illumination wires for the footwell lights so not sure which illumination wires i would tap into,

yeh i was going to wire the led in with the operation of the switch i.e when the sub is on the led in the switch is on, and vice versa.

lenny i dont have the dimmer dial nor did i have the illumination wires for the footwell lights so not sure which illumination wires i would tap into,

The loom at the rear of the blank switches or the onevfor rear window demister,

Just to inform aswell,

You can purchase a light switch unit with dimmer and straight swap to allow dimming of dash.

Just ensure if you have front fogs that your replacment unit with dimmer wheel also has fogs on it as some don't.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club