Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speedo Not Working And Car Cutting Out.

phantomx0_1

Ok so I've borrowed my brother in laws 52 plate focus ghia 2.0 (petrol)

It has a couple of issues one minute the speedo will be working and then the next it won't you the needle doesn't move and you also loose the millage read out.

Another issue is the at cuts out when Stopping the power will just drop and the car stalls. If you rev the car anticipating this it doesn't. Also the clutch biting point is right at the top of the pedal.

Could the two issues be linked? Does it need a new clutch?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

• Like 1

Not sure about the clutch, but the speedo/stalling issue is very common on the MK1 and MK1.5 such as yours. If I remember correctly, it's a faulty speed sensor that causes it. Not too expensive (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-SPEED-SPEEDO-SENSOR-1998-2004-TOP-QUALITY-1087548-NEW-SS1-/150731145659?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item231846c1bb), and I think you can fit it yourself but don't quote me on it.

Clutch bite is high on all fords the speed sensors shot and is in the gearbox attatched to the gearbox so it will stall with tge clutch pressed nowt wrong with the clutch its hydraulic even after a new clutch the bites high

Really it's nothing like that on my last two mondeos. Or is it just the focus?

Anyone got any ideas on the cutting out ?

Already answered the question the cutting out is because the speed sensor is failing and causing the speedo to register 0 the car thinks you arent moving sobits cutting out the sensor takes feedback from the gearbox hence why it cuts out and yes its high on all focis youre welcome to ask anyone here

Symptoms of a failing speed sensor are

Engine cutting out when slowing or approaching junctions

Speedo and or rev counter momentarily register 0

Speedo registering 0 all the time

Myself and many other old mk1 owners have had the same issue and ide say its best have a garage do the job as the holding pin can break falling into the gearbox if youre not extremely carefull

The Speedo sensor is connected to the ECU so when it drops the ECU gets confused.

It believes the car is idling and reduces power which results in the stalling.

Buy a new sensor and pin off eBay for about £20 and after an hour of swearing and cursing you'll be ok again.

The sensor (VSS) is a very tight fit on the top of the gearbox and once you have removed the pin (guaranteed to snap) you have to get grips onto it as close to the housing as possible and twist and jiggle it until it pops out.

There is a small risk of it snapping so if you're not feeling brave I'd recommend a garage do the work.

Expect an hours labour.

Cheers. Don't suppose there is a how to? Or can someone post a photo of how to get to the sensor?

That's the one.

Strangely enough that video is posted by a neighbour of mine that used to post on another forum I'm admin on.

Nice lad and a good DJ :D

Not sure about the clutch, but the speedo/stalling issue is very common on the MK1 and MK1.5 such as yours. If I remember correctly, it's a faulty speed sensor that causes it. Not too expensive (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-SPEED-SPEEDO-SENSOR-1998-2004-TOP-QUALITY-1087548-NEW-SS1-/150731145659?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item231846c1bb), and I think you can fit it yourself but don't quote me on it.

Do