Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Long Term Effects Of Egr Blanking.....

jeffnat68

Jeffnat68

I have just ordered a blanking plate for my car..... I've fitted god knows how many egr valves to these engines but have decided to blank mine off. So when I've fitted mine if you like we could meet up and I will happily give you a hand with yours.

Blanking it off at the end of the pipe where it goes in to the top cover would almost be impossible due to the shape of the inlet..... I'm almost sure the blanking plate you have and what I have ordered will not take long to fit and your quite local to me.... I live near Verwood just north of Bournemouth.

I wouldnt do that, just the combination of ballbearing + gun gum / exhaust paste / anything eaven remotely close to some sort of glue gives you the tickle of DIY repair whit plastic bands and ducktape.... :/

I would try to and fit the blanking plate according to the original plan.

Fix the eberspächer exhaustpipe to the EGR pipe, and route it somewhere under the car, and just install some cover to the intake, to prevent any dirt getting into it. Thisway, the egr remains "functional", there is gas flow, so you wount be getting any EML, but the gasses from the EGR goes straight out, and not inside the engine.

Probably right about the ball bearing/ gun gum :)

Adding a second exaust would not work - especially if the egr is tapped off the exhaust manifold, because it would reduce the energy going to the turbine (turbo would not boost up)

Effectively its a second exhaust/ hole in the exhaust manifold that bypasses the turbo

And the ecu would not "see" the flow anyway

Yes, EGRs are a silly idea on a diesel engine

Jeffnat68

I have just ordered a blanking plate for my car..... I've fitted god knows how many egr valves to these engines but have decided to blank mine off. So when I've fitted mine if you like we could meet up and I will happily give you a hand with yours.

Blanking it off at the end of the pipe where it goes in to the top cover would almost be impossible due to the shape of the inlet..... I'm almost sure the blanking plate you have and what I have ordered will not take long to fit and your quite local to me.... I live near Verwood just north of Bournemouth.

Thanx for the invitation mate but I managed to fit the plate me self on the egr valve and so far so good.I had to unbolt the fuel filter housing and shove it out the way so I could access the bottom egr mounting bolt.Just going to reset ecu and see if there is any difference in running etc..How you getting on with fitting yours?

Hey Jeff

Not had a chance to fit mine yet as I ended up in hospital on Tuesday with a blood clot in an artery lol so the cars not been touched. Hopefully I will get it fitted in the next week and let you know how it goes..

Have you had any issues with yours since you fitted it like the engine light coming on or any other types of issues??.

Sorry to hear that mate,hope all is well now.So far so good with the egr blanking plate.No eml on yet and car seems smoover throughout the gears apart from around 1800 revs but that could be due to the inlet manifold clogged up with carbon and soot etc,so when the better weather gets here I might have a go at cleaning it.I think I will take the plate out to see what it looks like and then take some pics to make a guide for all 1.6 ers to follow..

lol epic thread ball bearing and gum gum chuckled.....

anyone got a link for a 1.8tdci m2 focus egr blank?

There is a rough guide on here from about a week ago, titled something like 'egr blanking plate fitted' and that is for the 1.8tdci

There is a rough guide on here from about a week ago, titled something like 'egr blanking plate fitted' and that is for the 1.8tdci

its a link to blank i need mate

So Jeff have you had any issues since fitting your plate..... I'm hoping to get mine done tomorrow :D

So Jeff have you had any issues since fitting your plate..... I'm hoping to get mine done tomorrow :D

No problems at all mate.No engine managements lights on.I scanned for codes the other day with my obd 2 scanner but nothing.All I need to do now is wait till the warmer weather gets here and strip inlet manifold off engine and give it a good clean coz Car seems to have flat spots round the 1700 rpm mark.You got a 1.6 tdci or 1.8?

Excellent...... I have a 1.6 with dpf..... Theres not a lot I haven't done on these engines but it's really the 1st experience of blanking off the egr..... Like I said I'm hoping to get mine done tomorrow..... If not Sunday.

Glad yours is going well and as soon as mine is done i will post up my results lol.

If you disconnect the sensor to install the plate couldn't a resistor of the right value be connected to the sensor so to trick the ecu into thinking all is well?

If you disconnect the sensor to install the plate couldn't a resistor of the right value be connected to the sensor so to trick the ecu into thinking all is well?

Tried it - the ECU can detect the difference in flow and if the flow stops (eg blanking plate) the ECU interprets this as a faulty EGR valve and a "lack of flow" error code is flagged up

Somebody made a circut that emulated the effect of the flow, but i don't know if this was ever fitted to a Ford

On top of that some EGR systems have a potentiometer (variable resistor) to give feedback to the ECU about the position of the (motorised) valve, if the ECU does not recieve the changes to the potentiometer that correspond to the valve/ motor, again a fault code will pop up

there was someone claiming to do remaps and an electronic EGR delete (so the EML did not come on when blanking the EGR) but this turned out not to be true

this can be done with other cars, but not Ford Euro 4s or 5s (theoretically it is possible)

So the best way with Ford euro 4 or 5s is to blank the EGR with a solid stainless steel plate and reset the EML (when it comes on) with a code reader regularly

All the above is with Euro 4/5 Ford engines

Mines a euro 4 emisions car and no eml on yet so maybe not all cars are the same...

Tried it - the ECU can detect the difference in flow and if the flow stops (eg blanking plate) the ECU interprets this as a faulty EGR valve and a "lack of flow" error code is flagged up

Somebody made a circut that emulated the effect of the flow, but i don't know if this was ever fitted to a Ford

On top of that some EGR systems have a potentiometer (variable resistor) to give feedback to the ECU about the position of the (motorised) valve, if the ECU does not recieve the changes to the potentiometer that correspond to the valve/ motor, again a fault code will pop up

there was someone claiming to do remaps and an electronic EGR delete (so the EML did not come on when blanking the EGR) but this turned out not to be true

this can be done with other cars, but not Ford Euro 4s or 5s (theoretically it is possible)

So the best way with Ford euro 4 or 5s is to blank the EGR with a solid stainless steel plate and reset the EML (when it comes on) with a code reader regularly

All the above is with Euro 4/5 Ford engines

For it to detect the flow has stopped it must be reading a sensor somewhere, I might have to do a little investigation and see how the egr works on the focus.

UPDATE: Just switced my personal opinnion of the EGR planking. Since i lifted the whole engine out of the car, i had a chance to take a closer look whats happening on the EGR, and it seems like the egr double functions as heatexhanger, and the heat goes directly to the interior heat exhanger. So, plank the EGR -> You lose some of the interior heating, witch is not desirable on nordic countries.

So, the best thing would be to allow the exhaust gasses to pass to the heat exchanger, but prevent them from going to the intake...

UPDATE: Just switced my personal opinnion of the EGR planking. Since i lifted the whole engine out of the car, i had a chance to take a closer look whats happening on the EGR, and it seems like the egr double functions as heatexhanger, and the heat goes directly to the interior heat exhanger. So, plank the EGR -> You lose some of the interior heating, witch is not desirable on nordic countries.

So, the best thing would be to allow the exhaust gasses to pass to the heat exchanger, but prevent them from going to the intake...

Yes, the EGR cooler is connected to the exhaust manifold, and as well as cooling the gasses to the valve, it heats the coolant before it goes to the cabin heater

It does not have a massive effect, (does not heat up the coolant/ cabin heater that much) but you can leave the EGR cooler connected and blank it just past the EGR cooler

I previously did this, and removed all the other EGR components, scince fitting my electric water pump, ive bypassed the cooler as well

I had considered a bypass valve/ switch for the cooler, (bypassing the cooler for summer/ routing coolant through it for winter) but i found the heating effect of the cooler wasnt that much, it would have added un-nessesary complexity and to help keep things cool for the (very expensive) pump the EGR cooler has been known to split/ leak, so ditching it improves reliability, removing the cooler and blanking it on the manifold improves performance/ efficiency/ economy/ reduces lag by reducing the volume (slightly) and reducing the heat loss between the exhaust valves/ turbine

Ok so today I fitted my blanking plate..... Like Jeff said move the fuel filter and mount out the way and it's easy.... Under 30mins in total to fit... On start up all ok so I left her to idle for a while..... No problems so off for a.20 mile road test with my Solus diagnostic system in the boot just in case..... Car feels smoother on acceleration..... I'm sure it is lol and no warning lights on at all so far. And it hasn't made the slightest difference to the heater in my car..... Lovely and toasty still lol.

I will keep on using it and report back with any issues but so far I'm well happy with it

mines been working fine too and no MIL lights at all, plus she doesnt feel like she is gonna stall when pulling away which is another bonus.

Ok so today I fitted my blanking plate..... Like Jeff said move the fuel filter and mount out the way and it's easy.... Under 30mins in total to fit... On start up all ok so I left her to idle for a while..... No problems so off for a.20 mile road test with my Solus diagnostic system in the boot just in case..... Car feels smoother on acceleration..... I'm sure it is lol and no warning lights on at all so far. And it hasn't made the slightest difference to the heater in my car..... Lovely and toasty still lol.

I will keep on using it and report back with any issues but so far I'm well happy with it

Glad all went smoovely mate.Are you gonna clean all the carbon out of the inlet manifold?I think I will wait till the warmer weather gets here to do mine as its looks a right !Removed! of a job...Do you have a flat spot at 1700 revs.?Mine does so putting it down to carbon build up in inlet manifold like foca has mentioned before.Do you reckon spraying a good cleaner into the inlet manifold will clean it out?Just a thought... :)

And it hasn't made the slightest difference to the heater in my car..... Lovely and toasty still lol.

When the temperature goes bellow -20, you realy want to get all the possible heat to the cabin :) So, i keep mine unblankt untill summer / i get some spare money to buy eberspächer :)

But dont get me wrong, i still think the EGR is in "hall of fame" of the idiotic invention, and it should be blanked. But, i just can bear any cold, so im holding on whit my knuckles white to any heat i can get :)

When the temperature goes bellow -20, you realy want to get all the possible heat to the cabin :) So, i keep mine unblankt untill summer / i get some spare money to buy eberspächer :)

But dont get me wrong, i still think the EGR is in "hall of fame" of the idiotic invention, and it should be blanked. But, i just can bear any cold, so im holding on whit my knuckles white to any heat i can get :)

we live near sunny Bournemouth where it rarely gets below -5 let alone -20 so shouldn't be a problem... :)

Hey Jeff..... Mine hasn't got a flatspot that I had noticed to be honest I will check it out next time I'm out in it. And yep I will take the manifold off at some point just to clean out the carbon..... But I will be using the company steam cleaner and then leaving it to dry out for a day or so..... I've done a few at work and most chemical cleaners seem to shift it but you can normally scrape out loads with a flat blade screwdriver.... You just need to be careful when doing so.... Also if your doing your manifold you will need to remove your injector fuel pipes as they run across the top of the manifold..... These should really be replaced as they arenonly meant to be used once..... But if your careful you can get away with using them again. If you want a hand when you do it give me a yell.....

Carlos...... -20 yep you need all the heat you can get mate lol...... I think I would be looming to make a heated steering wheel and foot pedals lol