Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Rant!!!!

ManxKat

Hi guys, not been around these part for a while hope everyone is good :)

I myself am having a major stress with my festa!!!

When I bought the car back in May last year the car was serviced and my husband (now ex) asked the guys to do cam belt change due to the high mileage of the car. They agreed to do this.

Anyway, few weeks after having the car, I could hear a strange whirring noise, but it came and went and sods law every time I had a day off and could pop back to the garage, it was a day that the noise didn't happen! Finally after a couple of months I managed to get to the garage and ask the mechanic there. At this point I was now single, and so I was really worried about something happening to the car that I wouldn't be able to deal with (I'm such a girl) but the mechanic reassured me that it was probably just the alternator belt and that if it did get worse it wouldn't damage the car.

So I drove away feeling a bit better, albeit a little fobbed off.

So few months down the line... car is now out of warranty and the whirring noise is now getting louder and more frequent. So luckily, I am now on speaking terms with my ex, a mechanic, so I asked him to have a look for me. He advised me to get a new alternator tensioner and belt and he would fit it for me.

Finally got round to doing it at the weekend, and after fitting the new parts he can still hear something is not right. Took the cover off to look at the cam belt and lo and behold, it's [insert swear word of your choice here]. The belt is perished and it's covered in rusty dust.

He took my car straight down to where I bought it, and spoke to the mechanic who simply said it was out of warranty (despite the fact that I did go back in the warranty period, and also that they promised to change the cam belt back when I bought it). He kicked off about what had been agreed but the mechanic said that if we want them to investigate it, it's £45 an hour plus VAT!!

So basically feeling pretty peed off right off. My pride and joy is now making me very unhappy, hence the rant. I sort of feel a little better for getting it off my chest!!

Anybody got any advice or thoughts, or had anything similar happen to them?

The mechanic got off too lightly.

DId you take photos of the belt?

Firstly Get photos, then get it changed by another garage. You then take the original garage to small claims court.

But you need some evidence, so photos will help. Also you need to get a date on the photo so you have evidence.

I know! My ex hubby has ordered me new cam belt and so he is going to take off the old one and take photos of it etc. He was thinking Trading Standards maybe??

Good idea on the date, I will remember that, thanks!

get a newspaper and take a photo of the belt on the newspaper with the date on it!

but it needs to be on the car!! otherwise that could be any old belt

Yes trading Standards, maybe they will advise small claims too

Thanks for the advice hun, will take pics while still on the car, and off as well