Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.8 Tdci - Wont Start And Stuck Away From Home

mkelbie

Long shot but I have 4 hours wait for AA so anyone online who can offer suggestions it would be great.

Came to start my car to go for lunch, it started moved about 3 feet in reverse and it cut out and won't start again.

2007 Focus 1.8 TDCI

Just had a full service 3 days ago and got a full tank of Shell diesel.

It has been struggling in the morning, never fires up 1st time but 2nd time after coil goes back out it fires up, splutters a bit then is fine. I do a 60mph journey to work and 60 back no problems.

This morning fired up 1st time got here fine and now it won't start :(

It's just had a service, battery seems fine as it turns but just won't start. All electrically work and I have thought the glow plugs may be on the way out but it was running fine this morning and its 2 degrees here and engine was still fairly warm when I came to start it.

I am just worried something bad has happened, so if anyone can rule out major problems I will be put at ease and hopefully it's something simple and more importantly cheap.

Thanks

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mkelbie

• dogdays1

• stef123

• jeebowhite

i wish i could help you but i'm a novice with these cars still

hopefully someone will come along soon

good luck

Sounds like battery as a potential risk, or diesel gone waxy and clogging the filter to be honest.

When you put headlights on and start the car, do they flicker, and the dash flickers and ticks like mad?

If so, it sounds like the battery has become winters victim...

AA man has been and its my injector pump :-/

A pin has snapped and no where local that can do it. I'm snookered here now

aaah, thats not too good...

Does your recovery package not get you to a garage of your choice?

bugger mate, i hope its not too expensive to sort out.

No only within 15miles. I am still here :-/

Recovery is sorted now and should be here within next 30mins but not sure about the repair now.

Says engine system fault on the dash now. It's definitely something to do with fuel pump as no fuel is getting through, I just hope it's cheap to repair.

Anyone got any tips for this? It's outside the garage now and going down with the keys in the morning.

Recovery man suspected airlock and almost started it with a squirt of easy start but didn't want to over do it.

I am worried about the cost of diagnosing the fault before paying to repair it

in the first instance you said the AA man said it was the pump as some pin had snapped? now you dont seem to sure?

if it is the pump, I presume they are coded to the ecu on this model? but unfortunately diesel pumps (high pressure pump) are not cheap im afraid.

at a dealer, expect to pay around £100 for diagnostics.

AA man took a clip off opening a pipe and asked me to try and start it and said no diesel is coming through and when he connected his computer he said the fuel pressure or something is 18 and it should be a lot more than that. His diagnosis was the pump wasn't working and a pin had snapped that powers it. Something like the gear turns and the pin turns the pump passing the fuel through and this was no longer working.

RAC man arrives and after few basic tests he investigates the fuel related issues. He tried a new sensor as he believed a sensor was at fault, this time the ecu was giving an engine fault but when he connected his computer everything was fine including the pressure. He hit the fuel rail a few times with a hammer and removed the battery lead to try clear the ecu fault then said it needs to be took to a garage.

3rd party recovery arrives to take me to the garage, he never tried anything but whilst lifting my car and during the journey he asked what the fault was. I explained had a full service 3days ago, did long trip and filled up last nyt and got to work after 60miles this morning no problem, started it at lunch and got a few yards in reverse and it cut out and hasn't started since. He believes its air locked and said it seems odd it's just died. When we got to the garage he asked could he try start it and with a bit of easy start the engine almost started but the battery was drained. He tried again with a booster connected to the battery but it was just turning and wouldn't fire.

It's left there now until I go back in the morning to find out the damage which I hope isn't mega :-/

AA man took a clip off opening a pipe and asked me to try and start it and said no diesel is coming through and when he connected his computer he said the fuel pressure or something is 18 and it should be a lot more than that. His diagnosis was the pump wasn't working and a pin had snapped that powers it. Something like the gear turns and the pin turns the pump passing the fuel through and this was no longer working.

RAC man arrives and after few basic tests he investigates the fuel related issues. He tried a new sensor as he believed a sensor was at fault, this time the ecu was giving an engine fault but when he connected his computer everything was fine including the pressure. He hit the fuel rail a few times with a hammer and removed the battery lead to try clear the ecu fault then said it needs to be took to a garage.

3rd party recovery arrives to take me to the garage, he never tried anything but whilst lifting my car and during the journey he asked what the fault was. I explained had a full service 3days ago, did long trip and filled up last nyt and got to work after 60miles this morning no problem, started it at lunch and got a few yards in reverse and it cut out and hasn't started since. He believes its air locked and said it seems odd it's just died. When we got to the garage he asked could he try start it and with a bit of easy start the engine almost started but the battery was drained. He tried again with a booster connected to the battery but it was just turning and wouldn't fire.

It's left there now until I go back in the morning to find out the damage which I hope isn't mega :-/

was the fuel filter changed? its a possibility for an air leak if its been disturbed but to be honest im not sure this is your problem...

im not too familiar with the tdci pumps but if there is a pin which locates the drive pulley onto the shaft then i guess this is a possibility. if its snapped then the pulley will just spin without driving the pump

Yes had all filters changed with the service.

What do you think it is then? It's just weird how it was perfect, got to work started then just died

Yes had all filters changed with the service.

What do you think it is then? It's just weird how it was perfect, got to work started then just died

I would have the fuel filter removed, and the filter and housing inspected. the rubber seal should have been replaced with the filter. then the system will need to be primed with fuel to get it started.

you will want the battery charged up to do this though as it can take a while lol

from what you have said its fuel starvation or lack of fuel pressure?

So do you think it's related to this service and the filter then as my dad has said that from the start but hasn't seen it yet

So do you think it's related to this service and the filter then as my dad has said that from the start but hasn't seen it yet

it certainly seems plausible to me as the fuel system has been disturbed.

have the starting issues only started after the service?

I hope so too, it just seems to much of a coincidence.

It's never been like this before, never had any problems with it really. I have had a couple of cold start problems. 1st time it starts it cuts out and then starts second time but sounds a bit lumpy cause of the cold but warms up after a few revs and its fine. I assumed that was because it needed a service but told it might be a faulty heater plug or 2

Don't think the heater plugs would cause it to cut out when engine was relatively warm and it didn't sound cold or anything when I got in it this afternoon but just cut out without warning

I hope so too, it just seems to much of a coincidence.

It's never been like this before, never had any problems with it really. I have had a couple of cold start problems. 1st time it starts it cuts out and then starts second time but sounds a bit lumpy cause of the cold but warms up after a few revs and its fine. I assumed that was because it needed a service but told it might be a faulty heater plug or 2

common rail engines are a bit better for cold starting without needing glow plugs but they do still need them for when its very cold outside. so yes you might find that a set of new glow plugs will sort this issue out.

if its all started since the service, the obvious parts to inspect are those disturbed since the work was carried out

was it serviced with genuine or aftermarket parts?

I hope it is, I ill update thread tomorrow once I know. I just really hope it's cheap.

I will stick new plugs in it tomorrow too just to make the starting easy with this cold weather.

That AA man was convincing though drawing a little diagram of this gear for the pump and how the pin was snapped. Lets hope he's wrong :)

As for the parts, I would hope genuine since he charged £170+VAT. It's a Bosch garage so should be genuine but I will ask

Came back to the garage, he wants to charge me £60 an hour to diagnose it or just change the pump which I waiting for a price for now.

A grand to fix it :-/ new pump for £490 and labour plus change cambelt whilst the cover is off!

This isn't right this, I'm sure there is air in the system from the service. Considering this garage said my coolant was weak, air con wasn't cool and brake fluid needed changing. All of which was done a 2 months ago and verified back at that garage it seems a dodgy garage here

A grand to fix it :-/ new pump for £490 and labour plus change cambelt whilst the cover is off!

This isn't right this, I'm sure there is air in the system from the service. Considering this garage said my coolant was weak, air con wasn't cool and brake fluid needed changing. All of which was done a 2 months ago and verified back at that garage it seems a dodgy garage here

I would get it recovered to another garage for another opinion personally.

How weird is this, my dad turned up said I will have it running in 5minutes. Towed my brother 200yards and it starts on its own now.

Bit strange this after been asked £1000 for cambelt and pump. I have just took it on motorway and put injector cleaner in.

Went back to garage and was told it shouldn't start and he was saying maybe the AA or RAC let air in the system when testing it but my point is they was only testing it cause it wouldn't start in the 1st place.

I am at kwik fit now and I trust these guys, they are going to change my anti freeze for peace of mind and check the filters.

I am really unsure what to do now, had today off work but need to commute to Wales again tomorrow but I'm worried my car is faulty

You have some sort of breakdown package which is the key factor at this time. The odd start scenario is certainly a reason to worry, but I would say just drive it, if it fails, it cant be helped, maybe get it recovered to another garage, or Ford, and see what they say. £1000 seems FAR too steep, even by dealers standards!