Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Locked While Running

welsh_gal

Hi guys,

Just running a quick one past you in case I mess up my locks or something worse! I've got a mk6.5, 1.4 which has been standing since the snow came on Fri. It's still snowed in so I was wondering if I went out and started it, could I lock it with the spare key so I could leave it running for half an hour or so without worrying about it getting pinched :)

Yes you can, I do that to occasionally to warm mine up before leaving work.

Bear in mind though that it's technically against the law to leave a car running while unoccupied (although it's very unlikely you'll have any problems at all)

Good, I'll have to give it a run for a bit then. Used to take the fob off my explorer key and lock it while running but obviously the fiesta one is built into the key lol. Thanks for the reply :)

Bear in mind though that it's technically against the law to leave a car running while unoccupied

I take it that's only when it's on a public road, ie parked on a driveway it's fine?

If it's on your property yes.

I used to have remote start on my pick-up in America that was really useful.

Press the fob and the engine would start, set it to defrost in winter and aircon in summer.

If you tried driving it away without the key in the ignition it would stop.

I believe you can get them over here too.

Yeah I'm pretty sure you can do what you like with your own car on private property. I would love remote start, most new American 4x4s and suvs have it now as an option. Not sure about European markets though.

If it's on your property yes.

I used to have remote start on my pick-up in America that was really useful.

Press the fob and the engine would start, set it to defrost in winter and aircon in summer.

If you tried driving it away without the key in the ignition it would stop.

I believe you can get them over here too.

I cant remember the name of the company but yes your correct, its really not cheap though!

on the system i looked at for my last car, any attempt to attack the car or releasing the handbrake would kill the engine. would be a great thing to have i must admit - it means an extra 10 mins in bed in the morning :lol:

Stoney on your police car, can you remove the key while its running? my mates dad had a police car in his bodyshop to be returned to standard. so it still had lights, stickers n all that. but you could remove the key with the engine still running but releasing the handbrake would kill the engine.

i guess this is for when they are sitting with lights and things running for long periods

Yes mine keeps running because I need the power to remain on for the air conditioning and heating for the dog when they're in the back.

Clifford do a thatcham alarm with remote start and you can wire it up to whatever you'd like in the car i.e. the heaters. For a fiesta it would cost around £600-£800 fitted. When I was shopping for my aftermarket alarm I came across this and was tempted but it voids the thatcham cat 1 so I left it alone