Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help! Diesel In Engineoil !!!

Evovrs

HELP!!!

Im stuck,,,

I work on a 2006 smax 1,8 tdci,

The turbo was broken, I've changed it, started an everything was fine, after 5 min I revded it to maybe 2500, and it started to overrev, it went on for about 10 sec,,

Then it stalled , after this it won't start, take it back into shop and check the inter cooler, it was oil in it, drained it out and tried starting, but no luck, I checked the fuel lines and the diesel is not there,

Checked the engine oil, and it was about 1 cm over the max mark, and the oil smell like diesel,

I've heard on Volvo 1,6 a seal in the pump can give away and send diesel to the pan, but can't find anything on this with the 1,8 tdci,

Anyone experienced the same?

does it have a DPF?

if its got a DPF the oil level WILL rise as the engine over fuels to clear out the filter which leads to fuel getting past the pistons and making its way in to the sump

Yes, it has dpf,

Ok, that could explain it, but why isn't there any diesel in the lines?

Could it maybe need a reset , some sort of preventive thing coming from the overrev?

if the oil level get high enough the engine will run on the oil untill it blows up. in your case you were lucky.

NEVER top up a diesel engine with a DPF of the oil is low after a service. its low for a reason

as the pressure in the DPF rises the car decides to do a regen. in order to get the DPF to burn the soot its collected it has to get to about 600 degrees celsius. the engine management will then start to over fuel (it will spray some fuel in on the exhaust stroke) which will then be ignited in the filter to burn the soot. most of the fuel is sent into the DPF but some will get past the piston rings and will collect in the sump.

the reason for not topping up the engine oil on a diesel is because as its carrying out a regen cycle the oil level will rise and will get diluted with diesel. once its above max there is a possibility that the engine could run on the oil untill it goes bang.

if the oil level is on the dip stick but its low, leave it for about 1500 miles and then recheck the level you could find its gone up

Good Post Mr Singh!

When you put it that way, it does make sense!, but it should never be less than the min mark on the dipstick, I would say a quarter of the way between min and max would be sufficient in this regard...

Interesting theory -

The pistons/ rings/ bores are supposed to seal/ seperate the combustion chamber from the crankcase,(there are 2 compression rings, and 1 oil control ring, per cylinder) - even when a regen cycle is occurring,

A little (piston) blow-by may occur, (normally in worn engines) and contamination of the engine oil from unwanted substances (including diesel, h2o, no2, co2 etc) can occur but as long as it is not exessive, it is ok.

The oil will be replaced with fresh - clean oil at the next service/ oil change (this removes any contaminents)

At no time should the oil level drop below the minimum level on the dipstick, or go above the maximum level , it should be measured on a level surface and allowed time to settle, if nessesary

its not theory, its fact.

iv seen it myself on the 2.7 TDV6 fitted to the s-type and the xf.

customers would come in with there DPF full warning on the dash, we'd replace the oil and filter before the regen as per jaguars instructions and once we'd get back of regen we would recheck the oil and then found it was higher than what we put in

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club