Do Not Sell My Personal Information

engine vibration, loss of power!

Carlos

first off new member so hi all!

Got a 1.6 zetec estate. had it nearly 4 years, 86k on the clock, serviced every year cambelt changed for first time last july.

ok so here's the problem, driving family back to Oldham after a day out near halifax. Noticed the car was struggling a lot more than normal getting up the steep hills onto the top of the moors. Reached the top of the hill (just!!) and think to myself "this is not good"!. pull into a layby and notice lots of engine vibration on idle and the engine sounds very rough.

Decide to risk it home as it's bl**dy freezing outside, hailstones coming down horizontally, we're right on the top of saddleworth moors, and still about 7-8 miles from home!

Get home luckily, but the car sounds very poorly!

Not exactly an expert on engines so couldn't guess what the problem could be,

anyone have any idea's??

ps. when it had the cambelt changed last year, the garage cocked it up big style! they forgot to replace the crank pulley bolt with a new one, so it slipped and damaged the top end. damage was done, but they fixed it all. could this have something to do with the problem? even though the cars done 8k since?

Thanks in advance.

Carlos

99% sure its the coilpack mate. Common fault with the 1.6's. Lack of power and vibration on idle will be caused by the engine not firing on all cylinders. I wouldnt advise replacing with a cheap coilpack, seen quite a few on here saying they had to replace cheap ones within 12 months.

Yeah from your description, sounds like misfiring.

I had a problem on my 2.0 Where under the plug leads was water - Where the engine was washed before i bought it, there was water around the plug leads causing a misfire - Worth a check!

Could be dodgy plug or leads, but if its sudden, I'd agree with SierraYankee and say Coilpack :)

Yeah from your description, sounds like misfiring.

I had a problem on my 2.0 Where under the plug leads was water - Where the engine was washed before i bought it, there was water around the plug leads causing a misfire - Worth a check!

Could be dodgy plug or leads, but if its sudden, I'd agree with SierraYankee and say Coilpack :)

could be loads of things try simple 1st oil leval, plug, lead, coil pack, head gasket or major stuff.... hope this helps...

or major stuff.... hope this helps...

Well no it doesnt. Loads of stuff doesnt really help him at all. He probably already knew it could be loads of things. Worth a shot though.

Well no it doesnt. Loads of stuff doesnt really help him at all. He probably already knew it could be loads of things. Worth a shot though.

point taken... if is was me i would check oil leval 1st as is costs nothin. and most misfire on low oil levals due to lack of oil in valve lifters. then start at the plug work back. ul probable stop at coil pack. but WHY BUY 1 AND FIT IT IF IT AINT THE PROBLEM. thats all im saying.

even sumthing stupid lika a leaky rocker cover would cause a missfire because the oil wells round the plug.

WHY BUY 1 AND FIT IT IF IT AINT THE PROBLEM.

Correct, hence my original comment I'm 99% sure. Yes it could be other factors but seen as the coil pack is a known weak point then clearly thats what I'm going to suggest. I dont expect him to just go out and buy a new one. There are ways of testing for a weak spark.

Hi again and thanks for the replies.

Been off work with a knackered back, so havn't had much time to look at the car.

What i have noticed though is it was very low on oil. Topped it up, but its still 'dog rough'. Very jerky/stuttery on idle, still got the vibration but not as bad. and when driving in low revs very little power, and when you floor the accelerator (in low revs) engine starts to die.

Funny thing is though, it cruises at high speed fine! no vibration and seems to run quite smoothly (as long as you give it gas gently!)

btw, how do i check the coil pack?

Hi again and thanks for the replies.

Been off work with a knackered back, so havn't had much time to look at the car.

What i have noticed though is it was very low on oil. Topped it up, but its still 'dog rough'. Very jerky/stuttery on idle, still got the vibration but not as bad. and when driving in low revs very little power, and when you floor the accelerator (in low revs) engine starts to die.

Funny thing is though, it cruises at high speed fine! no vibration and seems to run quite smoothly (as long as you give it gas gently!)

btw, how do i check the coil pack?

latest news from the garage is:

compression test results:

cylinder 1 @ 6 bar

cylinder 2 @ 12 bar

cylinder 3 @ 12 bar

cylinder 4 @ 0 bar!

estimate for repair= £900

anyone know what time the next bus is???

cylinder 1 @ 6 bar

cylinder 2 @ 12 bar

cylinder 3 @ 12 bar

cylinder 4 @ 0 bar!

cylinder 1 @ 6 bar

cylinder 2 @ 12 bar

cylinder 3 @ 12 bar

cylinder 4 @ 0 bar!

F**k me, theres that 1% of unsurity kicking me in the !Removed!. Wait for me, I'll get my coat and join you on that bus.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club