Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch Too High/too Stiff?

qwertymz

Hi all

My Galaxy (1999) just died so I'm looking to replace it with something a bit smaller - hence the Fusion! I found one I quite liked from 2004 (Fusion 1) with quite low mileage, and had a test drive today. Everything went well, and I'm looking to maybe buy it on Saturday.

I am, however, unsure about the clutch.

It seems to be positioned too high, and it's very stiff to push down. I was wondering - is this common to 2004 Fusions?

If not - is a stiff clutch something to worry about (and should it affect whether I buy it or not?), or can it be fixed with relative ease?

I know nothing about cars - so your comments and insights would be very helpful!

The high clutch bite is quite common on cars with a hydraulic clutch. the stiff clutch is a tricky one, but it could be the slave cylinder/release bearing

Hmm. Would I be wise to steer clear here, or is it quite a simple thing to solve?

Hmm. Would I be wise to steer clear here, or is it quite a simple thing to solve?

I don't want to 'influence' your purchase as such but a worst case scenario is that the release bearing needs replaced - so you would be looking at having the gearbox removed to do this and just as well fitting a new clutch at the same time.

I'm meant to go down to Perth to see it tomorrow, so I'll ask about it. Thanks :)

I'm meant to go down to Perth to see it tomorrow, so I'll ask about it. Thanks :)

hope it all goes well mate,

what engine is it and whats the mileage?

1.4 engine, 30k miles. (2004)

I'm also looking at a fusion 2 (2003), same engine, 50k miles for the same price. Unsure about which one to go for!

hope it all goes well mate,

what engine is it and whats the mileage?

Hope you can give some advice. Tried the car (on neutral) - pushing down the clutch was fine but as soon as it is released the car makes a growling noise. When you out the clutch in it goes away... Is this serious? Any ideas appreciated!

Hope you can give some advice. Tried the car (on neutral) - pushing down the clutch was fine but as soon as it is released the car makes a growling noise. When you out the clutch in it goes away... Is this serious? Any ideas appreciated!

You will get this in every car to some extent but if its loud or growling then the release bearing is probably shot

You will get this in every car to some extent but if its loud or growling then the release bearing is probably shot

Thanks :) yeah it was much louder than expected. Think ill give this one a miss!

If you were happy to make get it fixed yourself try and knock him down 200-300 quid to get it sorted.

If you were happy to make get it fixed yourself try and knock him down 200-300 quid to get it sorted.

It was arnold clark so once I pointed out the noise car goes back to the mechanics, and if they can't fix it it goes to auction. Besides.. Don't want to buy a car that starts out with problems!