Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk6 Fiesta 1.4 Engine Conversion To St150 Or St170?

Ted236

Anybody know if an st150 or st170 engine will fit straight in to the 1.4 fiesta. Looking to change it to a rally car. The each and wiring loom will be needed also need to know if anything else will be needed. Thinking of putting in an aftermarket engine management in to it too.

New to this forum and any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Chris

The 150 would fit, but honestly not sure why you would use it, it's an awful heavy engine for a rally car, can't say on the 170 as it's a different engine possibly with different box and so on. Honestly though I wouldn't bother, it's an awful heavy lump to have in a Fiesta. I'd think more 1.6 turbo/puma engine.

Anybody know if an st150 or st170 engine will fit straight in to the 1.4 fiesta. Looking to change it to a rally car. The each and wiring loom will be needed also need to know if anything else will be needed. Thinking of putting in an aftermarket engine management in to it too.

New to this forum and any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Chris

The st170 engine has a bit more top end power but has similar midrange to the 150Bhp zetec, so the (mk1) 2.0L Focus with the 150Bhp NA is just about as quick cross- country as an ST170, according to some owners

However the ST170 has quite a special gearbox, with a dog-leg 1st, and a fancy diff (its a gertrag, as far as i remember)

But the ST150 transplant would be easier -

There is a Fiesta with a 800Hp EVO engine, lightened with a sequential g-box, doing the rounds, its been in "Fast Ford" and there is a build thread on oone of the other forums, there is a u-tube video from a track day at Knockhill, it looks like the fast-forward button has been pressed as at streaks along the straight overtaking Scoobies (ones probably with 400+ Hp) as if they were standing still

I was a tuner/ race engineer on one of the minor "formulas" (single seater racing) - the money involved was astronomical

There is a chap down my road the rallies in the RAC etc, he runs an EVO 10, £200K has been spent on it, he spends about £50k on a season (probably more) "cheap" and "motorsport" don't (normally) go together

You need to do your homework, so it slots into a class you can compete in (or at least have people to "race" with) - you may be better in a "group N" or "showroom" class - an engine swap may put you in a different class that you would be uncompetitive in

Its worth asking on other forums, some of the members may be involved in rallying, or have done engine transplansts like that

I am asking to see if anybody has done something like this. And if somebody has (which I assume they have) if they could say what would be needed for this. I've read that the clocks from the st would be needed as these work with the Ecu and speedo. And before anybody starts saying just buy an st cos its cheaper. It wont be found an engine for £150 and gearbox for £100. Plus would need the rear axle and suspension off the st. Interior would be irrelavant as buckets and a roll age would be going into.

Has anybody done this or know anybody who has?

I am asking to see if anybody has done something like this. And if somebody has (which I assume they have) if they could say what would be needed for this. I've read that the clocks from the st would be needed as these work with the Ecu and speedo. And before anybody starts saying just buy an st cos its cheaper. It wont be found an engine for £150 and gearbox for £100. Plus would need the rear axle and suspension off the st. Interior would be irrelavant as buckets and a roll age would be going into.

Has anybody done this or know anybody who has?

I've not done it, but i read of someone on another forum that has,

You also need -

Engine, gearbox, full loom, ecu, keychip and transponder, clocks, exhaust, all coolant pipes and header tank, power steering pipes, fuel pump unit and fuel line. ABS system if not fitted to 1.4 (to pick up signal for clocks) - i would fit bigger front discs/ calipers

Yes, The reconing is its easier/ cheaper to just buy an ST150 , a complete but written off / damaged Shell ST150 might be a different proposition, My dad used to by cat c/ d write -offs and do them up - they often cost a lot more than expected with the costs of parts/ labour etc - ive heard typical costs for a full fez mk6 1.4 to ST150 conversion would cost £1000-2000 - if you did it as cheap as you recon - i would be impressed - perhaps you should do a build thread?

Are you doing all the work yourself? Got a suitable place to do it and the nessesary tools, equipment and skills? - I recommend you keep a bit of extra cash aside incase it costs more than expected

Yes have my own garage with all the tools in. Skills not to sure about that lol. But have a friend of mine who I share the garage with he's a very good mechanic. The garage we have has 4 rally cars in.

• 6 years later...

Hi I am doing a st150 swap into my mates mk6 zs did you end up doing this if so wat parts were needed ? Thanks 

On 5/23/2019 at 11:27 PM, J-moo354 said:

Hi I am doing a st150 swap into my mates mk6 zs did you end up doing this if so wat parts were needed ? Thanks 

I don't they'll reply as the last message was back in 2013. Can I ask why your friend wants to do the conversion? Mk6 STs are pretty much cheap to buy these days. Does he have an anniversary / celebration model? I remember someone saying his friend had problems selling his zetec s with the ST engine in it. 

@TomsFocus I remember you saying your friend had problems selling his zetec s with the ST engine conversion. 

19 minutes ago, zain611 said:

I don't they'll reply as the last message was back in 2013. Can I ask why your friend wants to do the conversion? Mk6 STs are pretty much cheap to buy these days. Does he have an anniversary / celebration model? I remember someone saying his friend had problems selling his zetec s with the ST engine in it. 

@TomsFocus I remember you saying your friend had problems selling his zetec s with the ST engine conversion. 

Yep, that's right, it was a green celebration but buyers all wanted a standard one lol.  I did reply to Josh in his own thread about the conversion. :smile: 

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Yep, that's right, it was a green celebration but buyers all wanted a standard one lol.  I did reply to Josh in his own thread about the conversion. :smile: 

That's a hard decision for me but I think most people want it standard as they know they will increase in value later on. Saw one a few months ago near uni and it looked nice. It hard though if you want to spend £3-4000 on a mk6 fiesta 

2 minutes ago, zain611 said:

That's a hard decision for me but I think most people want it standard as they know they will increase in value later on. Saw one a few months ago near uni and it looked nice. It hard though if you want to spend £3-4000 on a mk6 fiesta 

Yeah, it really depends what you're after.  If you're buying a celebration as a bit of fun and to stand out on track then the ST conversion might be an attraction, but if you're buying one as a long term investment then it needs to be mint and standard.

• 3 months later...

Hi my clocks are Brocken in my 1.4tdci 06 fiesta van iv just been given some st clocks the same style will they work or not cheers 

Ben 

Edited by Ben149