Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Ford Owner And Have A Few Questions

ChronixPsyc

Hi all,

First time posting here and was hoping you could help me answer a few question as I am not too knowledgable on cars.

I bought a Ford Focus Limited Edition Ink (don't really know what this means, just a different blue?) 53 plate at the start of December and have really enjoyed the car, much better than my previous fiat bravo 51 plate.

My clutch seems high, but the bite is still fine, even on steep hills for stop and start. I had my clutch replaced in my bravo a couple months before I sold it and got my focus so I only think im used to that, but do you think because of it being/feeling so high, I should get it looked at? The guy who sold it to me (friends dads mate who he owns a garage with) said its absolutely fine.

Only noticed something this this morning as I don't usually listen to the radio when driving (use my parrot with phone connected for music), if I change station, the radio just randomly shuts off and takes about 30 seconds for it to come back on. A girl at my work as a Ka and said it also happens to her car. Is this just a normal thing for Fords to do?

Just under a month ago, a bird had crapped on my windscreen and rather than walking back to my house to clear it off with paper, I thought I'd be smart and remove it with the screen wash and hold down the windscreen wipers. This back fired and now my rear window wiper doesn't work at all. Would this be a motor or a fuse problem or something like that? Sorry, I have no idea what I am talking about.

I wanted to use my sat nav a few weeks ago so plugged it in to the cigarette lighter socket and noticed my sat nav wasn't charging. I knew it was working fine because it charged fine in my bravo. Do I just replace the fuse or something? And if so, where would I find it?

When I bought the car, I asked about the timing belt and he told me that it was changed 3000 miles ago, but theres no receipt of this happening. Are there any tell signs of the timing belt going? My engine light is currently on on my dash, could this be related?

Also when I bought the car, the guy told me that the car came with an RS dash with 54k on the clock and 54k on the MOT too, but he wanted to sell the car with a Ford Focus stock dash and it came with 115000 miles on it. Is it illegal to get it clocked back to about 55k? It says on the MOT it was 54k in July when the MOT was done and I've kept record of how many miles I've done since I purchased the car.

Any questions that you could shed some light on would be amazing!

Thanks in advance!

Hi in regards to the cigerette lighter socket its almost certainly the fuse probably the fuse aswel for the rear wiper blade. The fuse box is behind the glove box i believe on the focus (open glovebox and squeeze the back of the glove box to drop it right down) and theres usually a diagram showing you exactly which fuse is for what. I believe there is also an issue with the wiring for the rear wiperblade, i think it tends the become brittle and the sheething splits as the wires come in at the hinge of the boot (i may stand corrected).

If you're unsure about the clutch it wont hurt to get a second opinion on it. It also sound asif there is a problem with the radio, ive got an 03 plate fiesta and never had a problem like that before i changed it. Maybe worth investing in a new CD player? :).

Hope this helps abit. Im not sure about the clock question, im sure someone on the forum will be able to advise you accordingly.

The radio could well just be a loose connection but as stated above i'd maybe invest in a replacement (pretty reasonable on eBay)

The lighter fuse should be number 46 and is a 15A rated mini blade type on the central fuse board (glovebox)

As to the clocks, why not contact the seller again and see if he still has the other cluster.

It will look better and be the right mileage, i'm pretty sure you can only correct ford clusters forward and not back.

wiper as said above, wires tend to snap and cause shorts but could also be a relay.

Check fuse 43 (another 15A one) and also see if you can hear a relay clicking when the wiper is turned on, you should be able to work out which is the rear wiper relay on the central fuse board (i'm pretty sure that there are only two relays on the front of the board, front and rear wipers) operate the front wipers and then you'll know which is the rear one.

You can temporarily switch the relays over between the wipers with no problems so as to test them.

Oh and by the way--

Welcome to the Forum Mate.

Thanks for the replies, I'll take a look at the fuses tonight. If the rear window wiper ends up being a wire issue, does it cost a lot to get fixed? Is it something that a complete novice could do?

I also forgot to mention another issue, but not sure if its an issue. There's a button on the windscreen wiper arm(if that's what its called) that when I press it, the wipers go off for 3 wipes, wait a few seconds, then a final one. Is the screen wash supposed to come out when this is pressed as when I pressed the button, it sounds like it should.

Yes screen wash should come out to clear the screen hence the 3 wipes and then the addition wipe to catch the last run of water

Yes screen wash should come out to clear the screen hence the 3 wipes and then the addition wipe to catch the last run of water

What do you think could be the cause of this not working? Is there a seperate screen wash tank for this button?

There is only one screen wash tank. Obviously make sure thats full of water/screenwash, erm it could be a faulty pump, a break in the hose maybe? Does the rear screen washer work ok?

There is only one screen wash tank. Obviously make sure thats full of water/screenwash, erm it could be a faulty pump, a break in the hose maybe? Does the rear screen washer work ok?

Yeah, the screen wash comes out if I put the arm towards me, its just when the button is pressed, no water comes out and only wipers work.

Open up the bonnet and make sure the hoses are connected up to the jet sprays