Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Don't Know How To Sell Car

Johnboy88

Hi everyone, new to the whole forum thing. This is the second st170 that I have owned but due to family expanding I am trying to sell it I have advertised it on auto trader with all relevant pics but the only replies I seem to get are from scammers trying to pay by PayPal and send a courier to collect the car. Could anyone let me know an easier/safer way to sell this car. Would like it to go to someone that will enjoy it as much as I do. Thanks for any help in advance

You need to make the advert in Auto trader Eye catching so that it will attract more real people to it , plenty of clear clean stylish pictures from different angles , set a realistic price by checking out price guides , i have had more success selling private in local newspapers than in Autotrader. seems you know how to spot the scammers so at least you safe there

Autotrader is probably the best place. Sold my wifes car the first weekend following the ad going online.

How much do you want for it/whats the details?

I have used Pistonheads before with great results, there and eBay.

Selling a car via the Internet is a bit of an art. As posted above, you need to make yours stand out. Really emphasise the good parts, but also mention the bad. Nothing outs a worse taste in a buyers mouth than finding out the seller is lying or being very twisted with the truth.

If you go to Autotrader I believe it has a guide to the basics of selling a car and ways to make yours stand out. Being realistic and reflecting and pros and cons in the price will also get you more interest.

As a rule never say, 'just needs a £20 part and will be pukka' - if it's only a £20 part fit it yourself, then you don't need to mention it.

With the new car insurance rules, a car that has been taxed needs to be insured. I found when buying my last car, a number of private sellers had SORN'd the cars as they were no longer insured. This made buying them a pain or an unnecessary added expense. Offer either the remaining tax or to tax it for them as well. Tax and and MOT can add a lot of money to your sales.

Finally, a good valet and scrub, plus get a few great shots in a scenic location making sure to get full shots of the car all round plus interior as well any body or trim defects. Engine bay shots will also be a bonus to any car fan.

Hope that helps!

Remember the Forum rules if your thinking of posting details on here though. or you could get your post removed

I meant details of the car ie mileage etc

Thanks for the replies. Just to let you no I am not trying to advertise the car on the forum I am only looking for information from other like minded people that aren't trying to scam me lol I have taken more pics and changed the advert to make it stand out from the crowd a little and also listed it on gum tree.

Thanks for the replies. Just to let you no I am not trying to advertise the car on the forum I am only looking for information from other like minded people that aren't trying to scam me lol I have taken more pics and changed the advert to make it stand out from the crowd a little and also listed it on gum tree.

I have never even looked at Gumtree is it any good?

Don't know I will let u know in a few days hoping its not the same people that will be contacting me as it was on auto trader

Don't know I will let u know in a few days hoping its not the same people that will be contacting me as it was on auto trader

At least you are aware of the scammers so you know what to look for.

I just went through West Midlands and saw enless adverts requesting High end mobile phones with "no service" , basically asking for phones that have been locked , so they can sell them abroad.

I have never even looked at Gumtree is it any good?

I got my bodykit from gumtree for a bargain. Was meant to be £650 and a guy bought it/never fitted it. Hadnt even taken it out of the wrappers. £170 I got it for :D

I got my bodykit from gumtree for a bargain. Was meant to be £650 and a guy bought it/never fitted it. Hadnt even taken it out of the wrappers. £170 I got it for :D

Bargin , i;ll pay it a bit more attention.

I think regarding taking pictures for adverts , when i look at car pictures , i usually click the ones with the wheels turned at the front , seems to make them more interesting to look at

Take a slight 3 quarter look, by that I mean front and side, and slight above. Turn the wheel to face the camera, and have the car front at the right of the picture and the back to the left.

Take it somewhere interesting, a wood/forest, country road with a view, etc. It makes it stand out from all the driveway and car park shots. Will have people click just for the picture!

Then list the good bits, people can ask on the phone if there's any bad, don't list if it needs parts or anything, tell them on the phone so that they are at least on the hook. Worth getting it valeted and washed before you take the photo's too.

I sold mine on eBay as a classified ad (ie not an auction, I set the price so it's just an advert really)

Cost £14.99 for 28 days.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree autotrader is probably one of the best websites to sell, other than that you can use eBay classified ads

And paypal payments dont necessarily have to be bogus, just make sure you don't give them the car before the money has been withdraw to you account from paypal first.