Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 Tdci Euro 4 Egr Blanking Plate Good Or Bad?

Timty

Just fitted mine this morning before going for Remembrance Sunday only took 35mins to fit and finish flat spot completely gone. No warning lights, even though I've had a remap and Dpf removal already there is a slight difference in power delivery slight smooth and a subtle stronger pull throughout the rev range. All for £4.50 from eBay and 45 minutes work. It's a no brainer

I will add the guide on here is very good thanks to whoever did it. However the 'just slide it in from the left' is easier said than done :-) keep at it loosening and try it etc and it will go. Having sausage fingers myself a pair of long nose pliers can be a handy tool

It's in now mate :-) just seems like it's going to be harder than it is when you first start offering it up.

• 4 years later...

Just put a solid blanking plate on my 1.8 now the cabin stinks of diesel fumes. Both bolts are done up tight I think (access to the bolts is terrible. Any better way to access them?). Should the plate be between the gasket and the pipe? Loving this plate, better responsiveness, and pulls much better in the 1200-1900 rev range but it absolutely stinks. It looks like theres smoke ( you can only see it by shining a light) coming from lower down in the engine bay but it could be coming from where the blanking plate is

• 1 year later...

I have Ford Focus 1.8 tdci zetec 2009. Grey black smoke on exertion flat spot and slight surge when climbing hills. Smoke less when revs are below1.500. From what I have read, it sounds like EGR valve. I have been advised to use EGR spray cleaner and fit blank.  The car has done approximately 138,000 miles. Some people are for the spray and others say not. Are then any risks. Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Carefull with any egr blanks, they are illegal and if you'd caught you could face a £1k fine and not to mention it invalidates your insurance.

On 9/27/2019 at 12:02 AM, Neilhier said:

I have Ford Focus 1.8 tdci zetec 2009. Grey black smoke on exertion flat spot and slight surge when climbing hills. Smoke less when revs are below1.500. From what I have read, it sounds like EGR valve. I have been advised to use EGR spray cleaner and fit blank.  The car has done approximately 138,000 miles. Some people are for the spray and others say not. Are then any risks. Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Before I blanked mine a few years ago I used Wynns EGR cleaner to try and clear some of it our 1st. The engine will runs well now and is currently averaging 53 MPG, as long as you folow the instructions on the can then I can't see why you would have any problems.  Blanking mine made a noticeable difference in terms of drivability, it also seems to throw a lot less "soot" out of the exhaust when booted.

• 11 months later...

I have a 08 mondeo and was thinking about blanking the egr as it is causing problems. I just want to know if blanking it with a plate will put the car in limp mode or not

On 9/23/2020 at 11:37 PM, Mickss said:

I have a 08 mondeo and was thinking about blanking the egr as it is causing problems. I just want to know if blanking it with a plate will put the car in limp mode or not

Fitting an EGR blank doesn't usually trigger the EML on the 1.8 TDCi engine.  Over the years, a number of people on here have stated they've had one fitted without issue.  I've had one fitted on my MK2 Focus 1.8 TDCi for about 6 years without issue.

On a semi related note, I took it off after 2 years just to check how much crap it had blocked and it has a 4mm thick layer of carbon/crap on it, which was all crap that would have otherwise ended up back in my engine!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club