Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Wheel Not Straight

Mick78

Picked my new Fiesta up three week's ago and straight after driving it away from the dealers noticed that the steering wheel was down on the left side when driving straight

Car was returned to the dealer and they had a go at fixing it, car has since been with them twice to have it sorted but keeps coming back the same, wheel sitting down to the left

Fiesta doesn't wander when accelerating or braking just the wheel not sitting straight

Thinking of handing it back to them tomorrow and telling them to keep it until its sorted out

Any one else did this with their car and how did things go if you did

Advice welcome

You just need to unbolt the wheel and refit it centred up properly.

It probably want't corrected after having a tracking job.

How can a garage not straighten up a steering wheel? are they stupid?

Thanks for the reply Stoney

It's a new car, they seem to loss interest once its sold

Going to go back tomorrow and have a chat with the salesperson, just seems a drastic step to leave it with them. Cars been brilliant this just takes the shine of it

The steering wheel should just need unbolting and straightening with the front wheels straight ahead.

It depends how far off straight it is. If it is only slight then it could be adjusted by identical adjustments of the left and right steering arms. I am surprised that a Ford Dealer cannot sort that out very quickly!

yup as above, the steering wheel should be set in the straight ahead position and clamped there. its then the tracking/wheel alignment adjustments are made

pretty poor the dealer cant get this right though.

Yes, I agree. It is not rocket science. I am no expert mechanic but I have done this more than once on different cars. Shortening the left steering arm (aka track rod) and lengthening the right one by the same number of flats or turns simply has the effect of turning the road wheels slightly to the left. If a Ford Dealer cannot do it then they are in the wrong business!

It depends how far off straight it is

Straight line through the Ford badge on a straight wheel would go from 9 o'clock to 3, mine sit's more 8 o'clock to 2

I actually had this issue and my dealer eventually got it sorted, then I made the mistake of letting a proper tyre place fit new front tyres and track them, and again my steering wheel is off hahaha.

But rather then take it back to them for it to be screwed up even more, I'll get the Ford dealer to sort it at some point.

It's not just Ford dealers that can't be bothered to do tracking properly.

As above i had this problem before and after tracking it just needed the wheel straightening. The garage either arent very good or simply arent interested since theyve sold the car as you say

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club