Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speedometer Needle Flips To 0 Mph When Driving At Average Speeds And Slight Power Loss At Same Time (With My Ford Focus 1.6 Lx (Zetec Se 0 2001))

James Lawless

Hi,

Could somebody advise me on what I can do to solve the problem of my speedometer needle where is suddenly flips to 0 mph (justs stops working) when driving at average speeds and I experience very slight power loss at same time (with my Ford Focus 1.6 LX (Zetec SE 0 2001)) ?

I am at basic diy repair level so happy to attempt anything myself if possible with this fault.

(I also have an issue with the key fob automatic unlocking not always working and I mention this in case there is any electrical link to the above speedometer issue).

Many thanks

James.

What you have is the well documented Speedo sensor (VSS) fault.

The VSS packs up and therefore the Speedo doesn't register.

You need a new sensor which sits on top of the back of the engine. It can be a right pig to get the sensor out as the retaining pin gets stuck and breaks off.

The sensor also tends to be very tight to get out.

If you have basic mechanic skills you could do it yourself and save money at a garage but you will graze your knuckles and swear a lot.

Search the forum and you'll find copious posts on the subject.

As for the locking, it could be that your key fob needs reprogramming or the lock solenoid is sticking because of corrosion due to water ingress.

Thanks Clive - really apreciate your guidance on this.

Regards,

James.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Clive,

I recently got the car back from the garage (it had a 3 month engine warranty so I used them to save my knuckles) and they replaced the Sensor but after a few days of use the needle now does not budge at all and even the mileage display blanks out and the garage tell me they are happy the sensor is Ok and the cabling but that the best next move is to take it to a Ford Garage to download the latest software for the dashboard display console.

I'm happy to do this but do you think this is a good next step and really also I get nervous when the manufacturer dealer's name is involved due to cost - but I'm happy to contact them for a quote first of course...

Thanks in advance for your help as ever.

Regards,

James.

It sounds like you're unlucky enough to get the second Focus fault, the dash unit has a habit of gaining condensation which causes a short.

Ford did have a recall deal on that problem -£99 for a new upgraded unit.

Not sure if they honour that deal now though.

Hi Clive,

Thanks very much for your reply - i'll head toward the Ford workshop and see if they can honour this recall but either way it's best I get this sorted.

Thanks very much for your advice as ever as it really helps send me in the right direction savinf time and cash.

all the best.

James.

You are very welcome.

A short term fix was to spray the rear of the unit with wd40 and stick it in a warm place for a couple of days but the problem will return eventually.

Hi Clive - Thanks for the post.

I had a browse around and quickly checked the Ford recall website http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

and found no outstanding recalls on this model so I spoke to a main dealer just now and they also see nothing is outstanding so I'm wondering if this likely means Ford wipe off any record of a recall after a period of time which is a pain but either way looks like i'll need a new dashboard cluster or whatever they diagnose - ouch !

Do you know if I'm a wiser man if I purchase from Ford rather than look around for a breaker's cluster and do you know if I could fit myself (I am DIY savvy but that only) ?

I'm thinking best Ford fix this one.

Cheers,

James.

Hi James,

Although you said the garage were happy with the sensor and cabling I think it's worth mentioning that I had the problem with the speedo dropping to zero at random. Both the VSS and the cluster were replaced (under warranty, fortunately) but this didn't solve the problem. It was eventually found that the loom from the sensor had chafed through due to contact with the gear linkage so before you get involved with expensive cluster replacements it would be well worth getting this checked.

Mike - thanks for advising on loom issue - I'll ask the garage to take a look at this before I head off to make my case to them.

Between your post and my last post I called a Coventry number which auto answers as 'BBC Watchdog/Ford Customer Care...'

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=62482

..And the Ford careline chap there logged my case with a ref number and said the £99 deal was a limited offer deal (from 2008) but that I could certainly try for a 'reduced rate' fix to the problem and that this specific recall was never posted by Ford on their recall database it was only honoured by folks lucky enough to hear about it via BBC Watchdog. I suppose that in itself gives me a little leverage..

Thanks again and i'll post back.

Regards,

James.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club