Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg's On The New Ecoboost Engines

andygayle83

i currently have a 1.6 2011 Focus Zetec 125bhp but am taking delivery on Saturday of a brand new 62 plate Focus zetec s 1.0t 125bhp with 18" alloy wheels and privacy glass. ive read loads of reviews saying the quoted MPG is miles out. i just wanted to check if anyone had one of these cars and what the MPG is like. I drive 21 miles each way to work and 18 miles of that is motorway and against the traffic. i currently get around 38-40 mpg(official figure is 47) which isnt bad as i dont have any desire to drive around at 55mph to get the quoted figure. i always allow 10% less than the quoted figure for the way i drive. however some reviews are saying they get low 30's which i dont believe unless they are constantly stop starting and using the turbo. i didnt particularly buy this car for economy. the deal i got was pretty decent(paid just over £16k for a £21k car) and my monthly payments are actually £3 less than what they were so along with the £100 tax saving a year and £80 insurance saving, as long as i get late 30's MPG then ive saved money and got a lot higher spec car. The way my journey is I happen to think this car will benefit me quite a bit as i will be in 6th gear at particularly low revs so i reckon i will be getting early to mid 40's but was wondering if anyone has got the engine already and what figures they have?

Andy

I've got the same car as what you're getting (depending what colour you've gone for), you will not be disappointed!!

Mine has just gone past 1600 miles and I'm now averaging just shy of 40mpg, started off around 37. I have about the same journey distance as you with 14 miles of M1 and around 6 miles of dually.

They say give the car around 3-4000 miles to 'bed in' so I reckon I could get it to at least the mid 40's if not more!

I had a courtesy car with the 1.0 ecoboost and I managed to get it averaging 48mpg on my 50 mile round trip for work.

hi, thanks for the info. i have got exactly the same spec as its frozzen white as well. obviously the courtesy car would have been run in. As long as i get 37 to start off with Im happy. Any less than that and it will be costing me more in fuel which wont be good. I dont race around, i sit around 60-70 on motorway and its pretty much a constant as i go against traffic. Mid 40's was what i was looking for but as I said i upgraded for less money so Im already quids in

Hi, I'm picking up my 1.0l ecoboost zetec on Friday and hoping for 40mpg on a 7mile commute. Trading in a 3.0 4x4 so should be better anyway!!

What do you guys think of the new engine, does it feel like a 1.6 on the road, nippy of the mark??

• Like 1

Courtesy car I was given only had 680 miles on it.

oh i assumed it had a few miles on it being a courtesy car. 40mpg on a 7 mile trip commute seems ambitious judging by the reviews ive read. as i said im not an eco driver. ill get a pretty good mpg cos ill give it an 18mile run sitting at 70 without much braking and accelerating so it should be a good indicator

• 2 weeks later...

i picked up the new car and am very pleased, however things just dont add up. i read on loads of independant websites about the fuel consumption being miles off and judging by what im getting the reports would be right. i know the car isnt run in yet but ive had 6 brand new cars in the last 8 years and never have i been so far off the mpg straight away. i have driven pretty carefully and the car is giving me 33.8mpg. thats miles off the published 56.5 its supposed to but there is something that doesnt make sense. this car has the same 55 litre tank as the old 1.6(125ps) focus i had however when the old one was full it read around 330 miles range and the rough average was 34/35mpg but when this one is full it read 440 mile range. now if the tank is the same size the only thing that can alter the range is the average mpg. the tank is 55 litres which is around 11 gallons so that works out I should be getting 10mpg more than the old car which means im getting around 45/46mpg which is alot more believable. At the end of the day i dont care what the readout says, if i put £55 in and i get 440+ til i have to fill up again its irrelevant what the average mpg says as i know i never got more than 350 out of the old car. i think the average mpg readings could be wrong and that explains why all the neutral websites are slating the new engine. Also when i pulled away the other day and took it to 2000 rpm in 1st gear it read 5mpg which cannot be true. i had a 350bhp subaru that even when i took it to the red line it never read 5mpg. i even reset the average mpg whilst i was on the motorway doing 55mph in 6th gear and it still didnt reach 40mpg. i also own a 2012 fiesta zetec and even if i drive that at 90/95mph i cant get the average down to 33.

My tank will always read a range of 430-440 but once I've done a weeks worth of mileage of 250-280miles on varying roads it can go down to 410-420 but I only ever do that 250-280 and get an average of 37mpg

ive just proved that the MPG reading is wrong and ive got it all in black and white.

My father in law had a 2011 focus zetec 1.6 100ps and he was getting around 38mpg and a tank of around 330 miles for about £57 worth of fuel. he has now got one the same car but the 1.0 ecoboost 100bhp version. He is currently getting 35.1mpg but he said he doesnt seem to be filling up as often. He keeps receipts for everything so I went through his last 8 receipts of the old car and the last 8 receipts for the new car and sure as hell it showed what i thought. The MPG reading is miles out.

last 8 receipts on old car all read between £53-£55(this is slightly less but to be fair petrol was slighty cheaper so with the petrol at the same price its near as damn it identical) and he filled up 8-10 days. The 8 receipts from the new car read £54-£59 however the gap between each receipt was 10-13 days. Now obviously he doesnt drive exact amount of miles each week but doesnt use car much at weekends so there is only probably 50 miles difference at mot. So for the fuel tank to be the same size(which it must be as the petrol bills are the same) the MPG must be wrong because the new car according to the readout is doing about 5mpg less which based on an 11 gallon fuel tank means it should be doing 55 miles less than the old car which means a fuel tank would only be averaging about 280 miles but its doing around 440. As I said previously the readout could read 1mpg for all i care all Im interested in is the actual amount of money Im spending but if people are buying this car based on cheap fuel costs and look at the MPG they arent going to be very happy. I drove home from mile end to rainham last night on the A13. Anyone who knows this stretch of road knows it is littered with average speed cameras so i couldnt go faster than 50(in some areas 40) if i wanted to. I stuck in 6th gear, didnt go above 2000rpm in fact didnt get anywhere near 2000rpm and still i couldnt not get it to average more than 37mpg. Surely this must have been picked up/flagged up as Im sure management and staff at Fords have these cars. God knows how slow you would have to drive to achieve 40mpg. The only comfort Ive got is knowing that Im getting alot more out of one tank. Ive done 130 miles and tank still says 287 miles left

So are you only complaining about the fact that the average MPG on the dash is a bit out?

My 1.0 (125bhp) ZS has done around 2900 miles now and I've currently been getting 40.6mpg (worked out by maths not the dash) and don't forget the engines will take a little while to achieve higher mpg. I know someone on here albeit had a fiesta at the time took them 15,000+ miles to achieve a reputable mpg from it. I guess it's just down to the engine and the way you drive it.

As i said im only interested in what it costs me at the pumps and it appears that at the minute im getting around 120 miles extra per tank which is brillaint but the MPG doesnt read that.. It seems as though the engine is doing alot more than what it was saying. It would put alot of people off buying them though. I never test drove one of these and only upgraded to it as it was cheaper but If i got in one and test drove it like a granny at 2000 rpm everywhere) and only got 33mpg id be mortified. My dad drove the car and said straight away this is c*ap on fuel. he has got a 2004 BMW 325 pertrol convertible. thats when i started looking at different websites and they are all saying the same thing. Petrol consumption is terrible but in fact it isnt when you look at the range. If someone that was interetsed in buying one asks what sort of MPG are you getting. 33mpg is terrible especially when 56 is whats quoted. engines take a while to bed in so i expect the mpg to go up. By my calculation Im getting 38mpg and would expect to get another 5mpg once the engine is bedded in so I expect 43mpg which is pretty good but i think the dash will still only show 38ish.

bottom line £55 used to get me 330 miles now it looks like its going to get 440 so im happy but its hardly good advertising from ford. Bearing in mind test drive cars are hardly going to be driven economically so if you get in one and its showing 30/31mpg id be getting straight out cos it looks like it would cost a bomb to run

I agree there is something well out with the on board display. My 1.0 125ps is doing 33.9mpg on the dash but the math says 39.8mpg. Quite strange as with all the cars I have had in the past the opposite is true I.e actual was worse than dash. I have only done 900 miles so far in mine.

ive managed to get 35.1mpg. as silly as it sounds i just went 80mph for 5 miles and thats where the best economy was. obviously im not advising it but thats how i managed to get it 35.1.

• 1 year later...

I'm just new to the forum..picked up a Titanium Nav 1.0T a couple of weeks ago...its averaging 26 mpg...I was expecting high 30's without trying too hard.

My old Pug 508 1.6 hdi did 43 round town!!

I really hope it improves.

Mike M.

Is it brand new?

Or just new to you?

Takes at least a few 1000 miles to run in a bit. My mums 1.0 Focus is doing about 40mpg at the mo.

Given the old 1.6 ti vct gives 37mpg and 400 miles to a tank the newer ones arent as economical as claimed thats why new laws are coming that mpg must be actual test driven figures not lab figures

I'm just new to the forum..picked up a Titanium Nav 1.0T a couple of weeks ago...its averaging 26 mpg...I was expecting high 30's without trying too hard.

My old Pug 508 1.6 hdi did 43 round town!!

I really hope it improves.

Mike M.

I the car new to.you or factory new? I have had two focus ecoboosts and both achieved 38 - 41.3 mpg however not until properly run in say car done 4000 miles +

The car is factory new...just over 300 miles on the clock.

Unfortunately the MPG is similar to my old Saab 95 2.3T, but with only half the performance :-0

I'd give it a few thousand miles yet.

How are you fairing with the Ford eco score?

I will check that out later today.. I did have full petals last week for speed :)

I will check that out later today.. I did have full petals last week for speed :)

Mpg will definitely improve in a few thousand miles, enjoy the car!

• Like 1

I'd give it a few thousand miles yet.

How are you fairing with the Ford eco score?

Alex How are you finding the new 1.5 ecoboost I am coming up from 1,0 125 will I see much difference

Colin

According to the trip computer I'm averaging about 38 MPG, which considering it has less than 200 miles on the clock, I am quite impressed with.

Not filled up again to work it out myself yet though.

How is the power after coming from the diesel

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club