Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Blank Fitted 1.8 Tdci 08 Plate

salsheikh

anyone else noticed more smoke with this?

only on start up though, so i dont know if its just the extra cold we're having recently ..not a problem in the slightest because it does seem to be driving better and better MPG, was just wondering

cheers

i do get smoke on very cold starts, thats just my glowplugs needing replacing, so i wouldnt worry about it if its just on cold starts

@salsheikh ill have to give it a look on the weekend, its way too cold to do anything right now :(

I might be considering removing mine soon... ive started noticing this "wawawawawaw" type sound everytime i get over 40mph, it should be sealed tight around the blanking plate area. did you guys remove that thin gasket when fitting the blanking plate?

All the gasket does is seal the two faces where the blanking plate is fitted, many remove this, its usually made of stainless steel and is "sprung" to help seal the two faces, when you put the blanking plate on, you can choose to put the gasket on the exhaust side of the blanking plate or the inlet side,

i would favor the exhaust side, and a little instant gasket in a ring around the inlet side

ideally, you want 2 gaskets - 1 on each side of the blanking plate.

Aluminium ones are soft and act as a gasket itself , but i dont favor them because they can sometimes melt

If the exhaust side was leaking it might make a noise like a blowing exhaust

if the inlet side was leaking it might make a noise like a hissing sound , theoretically this could lose boost and cause additional smoke, or make the turbo have to work harder,

Smoke - Also there are lots of other reasons for an engine producing extra smoke (eg - glowplugs) other than the blanking plate leaking - and not every noise the car makes is because the EGR is blanked, just because it was done recently

The only thing you can be sure of is a properly fitted solid blanking plate will "fix" a faulty EGR valve and stop the inlet being contaminated with carbon.

And is unlikely to cause problems apart from the EML coming on in some Euro 4/ 5 cars

• Like 1

I fitted an egr blank last night, then took it out this morning. It triggered the MIL within 10 miles. Not a problem in it self, but I don't want it to mask any other "proper" MIL , which if not attended to in good order could cause lots of damage. So then I fitted my boost gauge! Sweet.

Should have said, it's Euro 4 Diesel.

I fitted an egr blank last night, then took it out this morning. It triggered the MIL within 10 miles. Not a problem in it self, but I don't want it to mask any other "proper" MIL , which if not attended to in good order could cause lots of damage. So then I fitted my boost gauge! Sweet.

Should have said, it's Euro 4 Diesel.

Thats interesting - your the ist one to report this, and other (late model euro 4)Focus owners have fitted solid plates

Many Euro 4 Mondeo owners also trigger EMLs (engine management light(s)) but prefer to run their cars with a solid EGR blanking plate, because of all the advantages

Many just reset/ check their fault codes once a week and otherwise let the light stay on

The EML can "cry wolf" and go on for no reason (eg fitting a blanking plate) or serious engine damage can occur without it coming on (eg - running the engine driy of oil and siezing it / "writing the engine off") so its of limited value

Didn't a member on the forum snap his turbo in half without the EML coming on?

I wish it did but the little light on the dash coming on (or not :) ) is not goibg to protect your engine

Code was P0405 EGR Sensor A Circuit Low, which makes sense.

• 6 months later...

Well fitted EGR blanking plate for my 1.8 tdci Focus 2 days ago and all's good. No EML and car drives so much better and smoother lower down the rev range, highly recommended. This is the one I purchased, solid stainless no hole !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141030719019?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

• 2 months later...

I fitted blanking plate this morning (2006 Focus Zetec 1.8 tdci)

I removed just the drivers side wiper (mark it) so it goes back the same.

Removed a few of the flat clips and lifted plastic panel to gain access to the TORX screw, removed the screw and could then lift the scuttle panel enough to get 10mm ring spanner on the 2 retaining bolts.

you only undo them a few turns to allow the blanking plate to slide in, I left the gasket in.

Nip the 10mm bolts up (don't lean on them, they are going into ally!)

Put it all back and job done.

I put a drop of oil on the flat clips to help them slide back on easier.

Geoff

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I would like to get back to this topic.

@salsheikh Do you still have this blanking plate or for how long did you use it for? Anything bad happen with the engine? 

I have 1.8 TDCI and its really bad as it has no power up to 2 500 revs... I did have solid blank on EGR and it was much better but I am afraid that something may happen to engine (like valves burn out). 

3 minutes ago, fr3sh said:

@salsheikh Do you still have this blanking plate or for how long did you use it for? Anything bad happen with the engine? 

I have 1.8 TDCI and its really bad as it has no power up to 2 500 revs... I did have solid blank on EGR and it was much better but I am afraid that something may happen to engine (like valves burn out). 

hi mate. i sold the car in august with the blanking plate still attached. i had no issues with it at all and the car ran much better once it had been installed.

2 minutes ago, salsheikh said:

hi mate. i sold the car in august with the blanking plate still attached. i had no issues with it at all and the car ran much better once it had been installed.

That's great... My runs (responds) much better too but it tends to choke a bit when I need to overtake (floor it).

it might need an italian tune? (thrashing it for a bit to clear out any gunk)

might be worthwhile getting it tuned up - this will make a massive difference. i purchased a tuning box and this had 30 modes from mild to max and i put it on 10 and the pick up was so much better. if i put it on a 20 setting then the fuel pump light would come on so played it safe with the 10 setting - there was no way i was going to go mad max on the 30 setting!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fr3sh said:

I've had my 1.8 TDCI blanked for about 3 years and she's still going strong at 132K miles (Orginal clutch, DMF, fuel pump, injectors and turbo)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

She did get lumpy before I blanked the EGR, the engine was all coked up but a Terraclean followed by blanking the EGR got rid of that problem!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club