Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus St With A Diesel Engine

Hassen

I tend to follow quite a lot of members projects on the forums and it seems like a lot of us have a diesel Focus and want it to be more sporty/sport oriented while still retaining the functionality of the original car and the economy as compared to a petrol equivalent ST.

It started to make me think if there was a market out there for a sports hatchback with a diesel engine. I think quite a lot of us would be interested if there was a mid range model below the ST with a high performing diesel engine, the visual/aero tweaks, sporty interior and uprated suspension that would be similar to an ST model. There is a case to be made for a high performing diesel hatchback and I think with their 24hr Le Mans victories, Audi are totally missing out on a gap in the market there.

Would you consider a such a car if it was available from Ford? So far, I have not seen a model in the lineup that would tick these boxes, but correct me if I am wrong.

The other thing I was thinking about was that if you could just take out the petrol engine and transmission out of an ST and drop in a TDCI engine, how cool would that be! An extremely fun car with great fuel economy as well :)

I am interested to hear everyones thoughts/opinions about this?

I've said his for years... But for some reason after the mondeo, they dropped the ST in the latest model... No clue why as it sold extremely well..

I had thoughts of using the 2.4 200bhp Volvo diesel, from the s40/v50 as the focus shares the same chassis... Would be mapped up to 230/240bhp perhaps.. A right little pocket rocket!

I would love it. the main reason I dont go for the top end cars is more to do with the engine as the cost!

It is a shame they dropped the ST, but I wonder if they have an ace up their sleeves? - shame they dropped the RS too...

I think the closest you can get is the Zetec S 2.0 TDCi, gives you 160BHP, sport suspension, body kit, etc.

The ST is more aimed at the hot hatch petrol head, I don't think a diesel variant would sell as well.

I think the closest you can get is the Zetec S 2.0 TDCi, gives you 160BHP, sport suspension, body kit, etc.

The ST is more aimed at the hot hatch petrol head, I don't think a diesel variant would sell as well.

I disagree... Look at the amount of fabia vrs, golf GTD, and Leon FR's get sold every year... Audi dropped their diesel R8 because it was quicker than the V10 petrol, something they didn't want... But I bet it would have sold by the bucketload!

Don't get me wrong, I love diesels, but there is only so much you can do with a heavier engine up the front of a more sporty car.

They are getting lighter with each iteration, but you can always feel the extra nose weight over a petrol.

That said people do want cars which can serve more than one purpose, my Dad is a good example of that, he'd really like to get the RCZ with the same diesel that is in my Focus. Fun but still practical for work.

Plus, get it remapped and the performance will not be far off. With a Bluefin Superchips, you'd get 182BHP and 429nm torque, compared to 247BHP and 360nm torque. Normally its 8.3s to 60mph, compared to 6.3s to 60mph for the ST. After the remap that'd probably come down a bit.

Also, depending on how far you want to go with it, you could get a Titanium X (and all the gadgets that come with it) and then fit a ST bodykit, but obviously would be more to declare on insurance.

Then again, with the reported economy of the 2.0 Tdci (163) i'm not sure that there'd be much point. I can't exactly comment as I dont have one, but i've seen reports of high 30's mpg when driving economically. When driving it quickly, it'd probably not be much more than an ST to be honest.

I have the 163 2.0 TDCi and get much better than that. Only had it less than 2 weeks and am getting 45 average from short journeys in the week and taking it out on a and b roads at weekends.

I have the 163 2.0 TDCi and get much better than that. Only had it less than 2 weeks and am getting 45 average from short journeys in the week and taking it out on a and b roads at weekends.

Well thats reassuring! I really want a new focus as soon as I'm out of uni and working, but the reports of low MPG on the 2.0tdci is a bit disheartening. I want more power than my current 1.6tdci, but still want decent economy too.

I came from a 1.6 tdci and while the mpg is lower, it is to be expected. More than made up with the increased power. So much more fun. :D

The quoted figures are about 10 MPG less than what the 1.6 could do, but if anything I would actually say slightly better, more like 7 mpg less as I tend not to have to push the car as hard as my 1.6.

Basically whatever MPG you get on your 1.6, take off between 7 and 10 and that should roughly be what you get with the 2.0 TDCi

I came from a 1.6 tdci and while the mpg is lower, it is to be expected. More than made up with the increased power. So much more fun. :D

The quoted figures are about 10 MPG less than what the 1.6 could do, but if anything I would actually say slightly better, more like 7 mpg less as I tend not to have to push the car as hard as my 1.6.

Basically whatever MPG you get on your 1.6, take off between 7 and 10 and that should roughly be what you get with the 2.0 TDCi

Well, i'm not getting amazing MPG now compared to most 1.6 owners, as I do quite a short run of a mile to uni and back every day, and then about the same amount of 10-mile journeys of A-roads or motorways. I'm getting mid 40's during the winter, raising to about 50 in the summer. The short journeys to uni and back will end in the summer anyway.

Anyway, your car looks really nice, I'm jealous!

I think it's because the trend seems to be moving towards small displacement turbo-charged engines, like the ecoboost. Look at the old ST compared to the new one - 5 cylinder 2.5 Volvo engine and now 2.0 turbo.

If it was practical to do so, I'd chop my diesel Focus in for an Ecoboost ZS in a heartbeat!

Hi,agreed, I have the 1.6 remapped and up to around 200ps, however it'll go further, and I can get upwards of 57mpg and 32mpg at its worst. The car to purchase is cheaper than a diesel, the fuel costs less per litre and there is no DPF to worry about...

Chris

Hi,agreed, I have the 1.6 remapped and up to around 200ps, however it'll go further, and I can get upwards of 57mpg and 32mpg at its worst. The car to purchase is cheaper than a diesel, the fuel costs less per litre and there is no DPF to worry about...

Chris

Wow, that's some amazing mpg! And still powerful too!

.... I have the 1.6 remapped and up to around 200ps, however it'll go further......

I don't know where you get your rempas done but you've been mugged mate ...... I have a mapped 2.0 Diesel and get no where near 200Ps!

Most I've ever seen from the 1.6 TDCi engine is 153bhp... And that's a heavily modded fiesta...

I don't know where you get your rempas done but you've been mugged mate ...... I have a mapped 2.0 Diesel and get no where near 200Ps!

???

As far as I can see, there definitely is a market out there for a sporty diesel hatchback in the Ford lineup. Other manufactures I think have seen this and have updated their line up accordingly. The VW Golf GTD is a good example of taking part out of the GTI and using a diesel engine instead. I see quite a lot of them on the roads in Ireland and would be very tempted to have one if only the resale price would go down.

The other option would be to have a Sport Pack available as an option for every model in the diesel line up. This could include visual upgrades such as a bodykit, spoilers, uprated suspension (shocks and springs), stiffer anti roll bars in order to get a better handling car. This could be made available as an upgrade package or standalone items from the Ford dealer network for purchase. I myself would be more interested in suspension upgrades more than anything else. Another idea would be to have a Racing division of Ford, that would offer these tweaks through the dealer network. This could be similar to Nismo/Renault Sport/AMG/M division. Correct me if I am wrong if this is already available.

Anyone has any links to companies that could offer such a package as an aftermarket deal? Anyone else interested in these options for their car to try to sort out a Owners club deal? :P

So far my research threw up these options:

Shocks and springs kit - Bilstein B12 Pro Kit

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/suspension-kits/car/ford/focus-mk2/2009/1-6td/eibach-b12-pro-kit-suspension-kit-with-bilstein-b8-dampers-lowers-front-30mm-and-rear-30mm

Roll bar - Whiteline Performance roll bars Front and rear

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/anti-roll-bars/whiteline-performance-anti-roll-bars

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/anti-roll-bars/car/ford/focus-mk2/whiteline-performance-anti-roll-bar-22mm-rear-bar-2

Remap - Bluefin by Superchips

http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/search?make=9&model=2&fueltype=2&variant=183

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/engine-performance-upgrades/car/ford/focus-mk2/2009/1-6td/superchips-bluefin-plug-play-ecu-upgrade

I just wish I had the funds to start on this project. Reckon the roll bars would be the first to go in as they are not too expensive and would provide more bang for the buck. I better start saving now!

Nice choice of parts there Hassen .... although springs and bars are for MkII not the MkIII?

Would personally go for the remap first as the standard chassis setup can easily handle the power upgrade.

Nice choice of parts there Hassen .... although springs and bars are for MkII not the MkIII?

Would personally go for the remap first as the standard chassis setup can easily handle the power upgrade.

Thanks man.

Yea, the roll bars and spring kit are confusing me a bit to be honest. My car is a Focus mk2 Facelifted i.e mk2.5 1.6 TDCI 2010 Zetec. It was imported from the UK and she lives in Ireland now. The websites I been looking at all seem to throw confusing parts for my car as the year is close to the year the mk3 came about. Any help would be appreciated to clear my confusion about what will fit on my car i.e anti roll bars, suspension kit and remap.

Cheers

Thanks man.

Yea, the roll bars and spring kit are confusing me a bit to be honest. My car is a Focus mk2 Facelifted i.e mk2.5 1.6 TDCI 2010 Zetec. It was imported from the UK and she lives in Ireland now. The websites I been looking at all seem to throw confusing parts for my car as the year is close to the year the mk3 came about. Any help would be appreciated to clear my confusion about what will fit on my car i.e anti roll bars, suspension kit and remap.

Cheers

Your focus chassie is the same from 2005 up to the new model in 2011,

Most parts sales list for mk2 which is the same chassie as the 2008-2011 model focus,

Any parts for a 2005 onwards focus will fit the 2010 model because if you remove the panels they are identical chassie, sub frame etc.

Only difference is the wiring loom on early 2005 models and the fitment of dpf on 2008 onwards models.

You may want to contact bluefin though to ensure the remap wont effect the operations of your dpf regeneration,

But anything from 2005 mk2 onwards is 100% mate

Cheers Lenny. Clears up a lot of things in my mind. Started to save now to achieve them things. Think the Bluefin remap by Superchips will be top of my list. There is an official dealer/garage that does it in Dublin I think. I have to look into it to see how much it will cost, but thinking might go the DIY route as you can put the maps on or off as many times as you want. That's my understanding of it as long as it only works with your own car.

Chris

When I was looking at the new ST a few weeks back I was speeking with the manager who mentoned that they are currently working on the 1.6 to produce 250ps to replace the 2.0 currently in the ST. Not sure if the efficiency would improve much on the 2.0 ecoboost rating of about 29mpg. But if you say lowest of 32 with a remapped 1.6 ecoboost then a 1.6 focus ST would definately be a better idea than a 2.0 tdci ST.

Being from the petrol camp, I've not got much to add except, they all sound like tractors when cold...

With that, I'm out of here! :-P