Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flat Tire, Can't Find Key.

Newbie2013

Hey, I've got a flat tire, and I've searched everywhere for the key inside the car to remove the wheel. It's not in there. What are my options. I reckon I'd have to go to the dealers, but it'll be pretty expensive.

Any ideas??

Thanks!!

I take it your on about the key for locking nuts aswel?

Yeah, I meant the key that removes the wheel nut. Can't get the 4th one off without a key.

If you take it to a tyre place they should be able to get it off they charge extra for it but I dont think its that much. Just pump the tyre up n take it to kwikfit or something :)

I've tried kwikfit, they said they can't do anything without that key. :(

Thanks for your help btw

Unfortunately without the key your only option is to destroy the locking nuts. Plenty of tyre places will remove them for a small fee.

Doubt very much the dealer will be able to help supply a new key

Like stef said they should be able to get the nut off :S im sure theyd be able to stick a normal nut on untill you get another set of locking nuts

If you had the locking nut code (which is usually on a bit of card that comes in the packaging for the nut key) Ford would order you a replacement.

Ford would order the replacement at a cost of £60+ and you would be waiting weeks whilst they source one. For now, use a tyre weld product to get the tyre rolling for now, go to your local dealer, and ask them to take the nuts off - they have the master keys and should do it for beer money, or at worst, a half hours labour...

my dealer did this for me when my last set of purchased nuts went wrong, fiver lighter, and lock nuts were off after ten minutes...

When i bought my motor i knew the front tyres needed replacing. What i didnt realize is the idiot i bought it off didnt have the locking nut key.

Only found this out after i'd got the car back from london to birmingham.

Took it to 5 different dealers/garages n none had a key that would fit n all said my locking nuts was impossible to get em off cause they had the sleeve on it that rotates on impact. None of em wanted to try either.

Half an hour later i had all 4 off myself with a hammer n chissel.

The usual way of getting em off is smashing on a normal socket thats a mm too small with a hammer so that it grips on tight n unscrew as normal.

When i bought my motor i knew the front tyres needed replacing. What i didnt realize is the idiot i bought it off didnt have the locking nut key.

Took it to 5 different dealers/garages n none had a key that would fit n all said my locking nuts was impossible to get em off cause they had the sleeve on it that rotates on impact. None of em wanted to try either.

The usual way of getting em off is smashing on a normal socket thats a mm too small with a hammer so that it grips on tight n unscrew as normal.

Before I read the end of your post I was thinking, are the dealers not capable of using a hammer and chisel lol.

Locking nuts only make things inconvenient and slow you down!

Before I read the end of your post I was thinking, are the dealers not capable of using a hammer and chisel lol.

Locking nuts only make things inconvenient and slow you down!

Apparantly not mate

None of em wanted to touch it. A few tried other keys they had but wouldnt fit, one of em even had a master set but half the keys had been 'borrowed' n never returned

one bloke wanted to weld a bolt onto the locking nuts n unscrew it that way

another attempted to use a chisel but after whacking it about twice he gave up and said nah mate you aint getting them off without the key

took me car home, set about it myself with a hammer n chisel n all 4 was off within half hour

as you say, they only slow you down n make things a bit noisier.

Worryingly though, i'd only just bought the car so no one on my street had seen it before, so then theres me outside in the street walking round a random car at 11 o clock at night with hammer n chisel making a lot of noise bashing away at its wheels nuts n no one even cared lol

If only I was good at using tools. I'd have no clue where to begin lol...I'm going to try a garage and see if they'll take it off and put a normal wheel nut on for now

When i damaged my key , i took it to the a tyre garage who said No , the dealer did not have a key although they did try and remove it with my damaged key but it kept slipping , in the end they used the weld method , took them about 45 minutes and they charged mea full hours work , but they did put four standards in for me.

One thing i never do now is let any garage tighten my locking nuts up , i always request that i tighten them

Best thing is to bin Ford lock nuts and in for your own where you then have the ability to order your own spare master nut.

Mcgard are pretty good.

I whipped my nuts off and just put four normal nuts in their place, but they look different, so if you glance at it, you would think their lockers, but in fact... they arent :)

Lol....clever ;) . I'm going to see if a garage will take them off for me.. Still have a flat tyre and no key for the wheel nut. Lol

Are they Ford nuts, or are they another?

The last Focus I had, the lock nuts shape sheared off, I had to have the wheel cut off to remove it :| that was a horrible day! They tried to weld a socket to it, but it wouldnt work... I cut my losses on that one, but if the lock nut is in good shape, just get someone to spot weld something like a 15-17mm socket to it and taken them off that way...