Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Head Unit - Whats This Cable For?

greggp

Hi All,

Bought a new head unit for my focus titanium to replace the Ford Sony MP3 disc player with Aux in.

There are lots of cables in box, obvious what most of them are for but not this one? Anyone hazard a guess what the cable is for please?

This unit is a GPS, DVD, IPOD, bluetooth and has a TV on it as well - it has the canbus decoder on it as well so is just plug & Play and steering controls all work with it.

I had it all plugged into the car to check it all worked last night and it looks a good bit of kit, just need daylight now to be able to install it all properly, (feed cables behind unit, fit GPS antenna, cables into glovebox etc). Will post some pics up when its all done.

btw If anyone knows or wants the sony head unit off me - let me know

Cheers

Greggp

post-17729-0-90174700-1360662196_thumb.j

post-17729-0-28119400-1360662659_thumb.j

The cable looks like an adaptor for other Ford cars (like current Mondeo, S-Max ..) which have 2 antennas connecting with the Fakra connectors, plus the power terminal as they are amplified. For your car, you'll need another adaptor - which apparently was in the box, if you were already able to connect everything.

cheers tomtom70.

I connected the loom adaptor which had the canbus decoder with it so steering controls all work. Only other cables were IPOD cable, GPS antenna, radio aerial adaptor plug, lots of USB and micro USB adaptors and the one in the picture.

Don’t think I need this cable as have installed the unit now in the focus and all functions seem to operate. Trouble is the retailer/manufacturer who I bought it off is away until next week so I can’t get any tech support from them and hence why I am on here.

I know liam-20 has fitted this unit and I exchanged a few PM’s with him prior to buying this unit. I have also posted on his initial thread.

http://www.fordowner...cs/#entry224943

Couple of issues I have which I’m not sure are solveable or not.

1. The menu, volume buttons on the sides of the unit illuminate red to match car interior dials etc, but they only light and stay lit for 3-5 secs once powering on the unit. And they don’t even come on with headlamps. I would of expected this feature so not sure if there is an internal setting on the unit? I liked the feature on the previous sony ford version whereby the stereo lit once you depressed the key fob. I’m not too bothered about that but would like the buttons to light especially for night driving.

1. Also bluetooth contacts do not sort/view in alphabetically order.

I will post some pics of it up at some point, fitted it last night but need to a few more things to get finishes (i.e. sort cabling into glovebox for ipod & 3G etc and fix my GPS antenna, at the moment I got the GPS antenna on top of the unit as its magnetic but am going to sticky back Velcro it underneath dash – It has full signal even below dashboard as I took it out for a spin last night in SAT NAV mode and all seemed fine.

It may be the lead to the lights on power has been crossed over with the lead for a power aerial. I have found with these that you get the odd anomoly where the Chinese have got some of the wireing the wrong way round. The usual is the permanent live and the switched live being the wrong way round.

I think I had the same problem as you when I fitted one of these in my last car. I bought the unit 2nd hand and the previous owner said the buttons never lit up. So I swopped some of the leads around and it was fine.

Bt maldon,

It does light red when you power it on but only for about 3 or 4 seconds.

I will wait to see the sellers reponse.

do you happen to know what wires I am looking for S/L & P/L. Might have a nosey at the loom at the weekend.

It may be the lead to the lights on power has been crossed over with the lead for a power aerial. I have found with these that you get the odd anomoly where the Chinese have got some of the wireing the wrong way round. The usual is the permanent live and the switched live being the wrong way round.

I think I had the same problem as you when I fitted one of these in my last car. I bought the unit 2nd hand and the previous owner said the buttons never lit up. So I swopped some of the leads around and it was fine.

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

I didnt fit this cable to the rear of the unit as presumed this was for connecting a sub-woofer etc??

What do you think?

post-17729-0-27445900-1360857363_thumb.j

It was a long time ago now and I cant remember which leads I swopped. The fact they light uip for a few seconds suggests that it is a power feed to an electric aerial. S/L could be side lights, in which case you could run it to something that lights up when the lights are on. The lead you have in the picture looks like a power lead to an amplified aerial.

Oh just remembered something else. There is an earth that is supposed to go to the handbrake so you can only watch DVD/TV while the handbrake is on. I know its not legal to have these showing whilst driving but it will work all the time if you just connect it to a permanent earth.

Oh just remembered something else. There is an earth that is supposed to go to the handbrake so you can only watch DVD/TV while the handbrake is on. I know its not legal to have these showing whilst driving but it will work all the time if you just connect it to a permanent earth.

Ok cheers.

Not to fussed about the handbrake thing.

The only cables left not fitted are as picture attached which I don't think are required for my model.

Appreciate your posts.

Cheers

post-17729-0-87587000-1360867839_thumb.j

Im at home now so can look at your pictures properly. The lead with the multiple jack plugs looks like the video in and outs. You can attach additional monitors and one may even be a camera in for the reversing camera if you want to fit one. The one I had you couldn't detach those leads, so if your not going to use them don't bother as they get in the way. I had 2 TV aerials, additional monitors and the reversing camera on my Focus Estate and it was a nightmare getting all the leads tucked into the dash.

Thanks mate.

Yes there was an option for a camea but I didnt bother with it.When I select reverse gear the screen goes blank so must be for that feature. I did a video of the lighting issue, I will try and post it up. Took car for a drive earlier, the sat nav is very good.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club