Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lh Rear Speaker Not Working

Kempfab

You're not alone, I have the same issue with my NSR speaker. Waiting for better weather to have a look though. I just hope it's the speaker and not the wiring!

@guy1962 I also had an issue with a rear speaker. Those stock Speakers seem to be !Removed!, so chances are you have a blown speaker rather than anything else. And as stated throughout this thread, un-riveting the speaker is the hardest part. I replaced one of my rear Speakers with a stock replacement off eBay. Since one of my rear Speakers is already in bolt mode as opposed to rivet mode, I was actually thinking of replacing both with these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351547532961?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've read a lot of reviews about them and generally they seem to be good. Especially at that price point. I think I might give this a whirl next month. In any case, I'm sure they'll be a lot better than the stock ones.

Edited by Stoney871
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, djsubtronic said:
@guy1962 I also had an issue with a rear speaker. Those stock speakers seem to be !Removed!, so chances are you have a blown speaker rather than anything else. And as stated throughout this thread, un-riveting the speaker is the hardest part. I replaced one of my rear speakers with a stock replacement off eBay. Since one of my rear speakers is already in bolt mode as opposed to rivet mode, I was actually thinking of replacing both with these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351547532961?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've read a lot of reviews about them and generally they seem to be good. Especially at that price point. I think I might give this a whirl next month. In any case, I'm sure they'll be a lot better than the stock ones.

Please keep language appropriate and don't intentionally bypass the swear filter. It's there for a reason.

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

Edited by Stoney871
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, djsubtronic said:

@guy1962 I also had an issue with a rear speaker. Those stock speakers seem to be !Removed!, so chances are you have a blown speaker rather than anything else. And as stated throughout this thread, un-riveting the speaker is the hardest part. I replaced one of my rear speakers with a stock replacement off eBay. Since one of my rear speakers is already in bolt mode as opposed to rivet mode, I was actually thinking of replacing both with these:

I'm definitely going to tackle these, but the hardest part in my opinion will be getting the door card off first without damaging anything. Any tips?

2 hours ago, guy1962 said:

I'm definitely going to tackle these, but the hardest part in my opinion will be getting the door card off first without damaging anything. Any tips?

Get yourself a set of plastic trim removal tools like these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4pcs-Car-Radio-Door-Body-Clip-Panel-Trim-Dash-Audio-Plastic-Removal-Pry-Tool-Kit-/141855916878?hash=item210745834e:g:JHMAAOSwo0JWOo~a

It's really quite easy to remove the door trim using those. A Haynes manual will help to show the locations of the clips around the edges that secure it to the door frame, and if you have manual windup windows then it's a little trickier as you have to use a rag to get the handle off. The other thing I've noticed is that when removing, some of the clips stay stuck to the door rather than coming off with the trim. In this case I just remove the trim fully then individually remove any clips that got left on the door, and stick them into the respective place on the trim, otherwise the trim won't go back on properly.

It sounds more complicated than it is, and it may take some time the first time but you should find the second door a lot easier after figuring it out the first time.

Removing the speaker rivets though... that's another story!

Well I already have the plastic crowbars so I'm half way there :unsure: 

very common fault as said the door panels was enough depending on the Speakers you can cut the old one out of its spacer mount which is just plastic and fit the new speaker into that mount and screw it in place far easier Tha finding the right spacers to fit

So to anyone's knowledge it couldn't firstly just be something wrong with the radio not outputting to Speakers that might be OK rather than the Speakers themselves? 

Test the wire at both ends for continuity.

My pin guide for the quadlock if you need it-

56c3691442022_QuadlockLayoutFullRearnshi56c369a883d77_Quadlockleftrearspeakerter

• Like 1

yes it could but the rear left for some reason seems to go on most cars no idea why that one in my case the speaker was just gone I removed the seat belt trim panel and stripped the wire from there and tested them they were fine but rather than faffing around I installed 6x9 Speakers into the parcel shelf

• Like 1

16 hours ago, artscot79 said:

yes it could but the rear left for some reason seems to go on most cars no idea why that one in my case the speaker was just gone I removed the seat belt trim panel and stripped the wire from there and tested them they were fine but rather than faffing around I installed 6x9 speakers into the parcel shelf

Rear left on mine doesn't work either, I've tested the cabling & that's good to go so replacing the speaker can be added to the list of things to do for this year!

Recently on my MK2, 3 out 4 door Speakers were shot when I bought it (only drivers door worked). Replaced all 4 with some Pioneer Speakers @ £13 a pair from Argos eBay Outlet. Plus spacers and wiring adapters from Radio World, managed to do the whole speaker job for ~£50.

Drilling out the rivets was the most time consuming part. Getting the cards off was easy and to get the clips out of the door using the wire cutter part of some pliers (without cutting them obviously!) was easy enough after I saw how the clips worked.

With a cheap Pioneer HU, it's not an install, or anything special.As someone who's had some kind of ICE w/Amped Comps, Subs and sound proofing in my last 4 cars it did exceed my expectation of which I had none. Probably just needs some sound proofing in key locations to deaden the doors a bit.

• 2 months later...

Can anyone guide me to the correct size Speakers that are a reasonable price to do this job myself? 

Are front and rear Speakers the same and interchangeable? 

26 minutes ago, fladavid said:

Can anyone guide me to the correct size speakers that are a reasonable price to do this job myself? 

Are front and rear speakers the same and interchangeable? 

If the MK2 is like the MK2.5, then the rear and front Speakers are not interchangeable, rear Speakers are a little smaller. They are attached to custom mounts which are then riveted to the door panel. I would recommend a drill to remove these. You can get plastic/MDF spacer-adapters on eBay quite cheap, specific to your model, for example: Rear Front

With these adapters you can then install any standard 6.5 inch Speakers. If you want a noticeable improvement over the stock setup, you'd want to spend in the region of 50-100 at least on a decent pair of components for the front. Hertz do some good affordable models.

For the rear I used Pyramid W64 midwoofers they provide good a really good bass response (though can be a bit boomy) but they are really cheap off eBay (like 15 for one).

Good luck!

I just cut out the middles of the blown rear Speakers leaving the plastic in place and screwed the new ones from eBay directly on to the plastic.The door card was just a little tighter to press back on but no rattles or vibration!

agree with Redman use the original spacers a dremel or rotary tool will cut the Speakers out new ones screw straight in no faffing around gives you access to put some door soundproofing in

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just bought a 2006 Focus & the rear L/H speaker ain't working either! How very strange. Reading these posts, everyone had a failed speaker rather than dodgy wiring? Not looking forward to removing the door panel but needs must. Any advice welcomed, mtia

• 8 months later...

Finally finding a bit of time since my first post to deal with this, albeit all four Speakers are now not working. 

Is there any way of attaching new Speakers to the surface of the door card like in the old days of the 70s/80s? Or will that be just as hard as doing the job "properly"?