Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fit Instrument Cluster From Petrol Car To Diesel Car?

kinBungalowed

My dials are knackered (only half lights up) and I've seen some available for a reasonable price.

Only problem is that they have come from a petrol model.

Can I simply plug them into my Diesel and they'll 'take' and report the correct mileage from my ECU?

Mine's a 1.4 TDCi Fiesta (facelift)

My dials are knackered (only half lights up) and I've seen some available for a reasonable price.

Only problem is that they have come from a petrol model.

Can I simply plug them into my Diesel and they'll 'take' and report the correct mileage from my ECU?

Mine's a 1.4 TDCi Fiesta (facelift)

Sorry mate,

Its gotta be another diesel cluster because the rev counter is greater on a petrol and signals from the ecu to the cluster would not display correctly on a petrol cluster,

However as previously mentioned you could fit some nice led illumination instead.

The diesel cluster needs the icon for the glowplug notification too.

+1 to what was stated above, revs are different as well as the redline etc.

The mileage is also recorded on the cluster and not the ECU.

You can usually roll a low mileage forward to match the original mileage but can't roll back a higher mileage.

If you can't alter the mileage you need to notify DVLA so that it can be recorded against the vehicle details in the case of reselling the car.

Out of interest which lights do still work, shortly after getting my fiesta my cluster played up, try unplugging it and re inserting the plug, i think the plug gets a bit dry, and the connection goes a bit naff, the only difference when mine went the immobiliser locked up.

I took it out and it looks like it is all LEDs? (for the backlight) I can see where some have blown.

The thing misreports the speed and the Diesel too - the needles 'slip' after a few drives.

It's the left dial that lights up for me. The computer doesn't (text but no backlight) and the right side are dark.

All the LEDs work for the icons, though.

Is there no need for the replacement dash to be coded into the ECU or immobiliser anything like that?

I think you will find that it will need to go to ford for the laptop treatment, as the immobiliser and other crucial modules are built into the cluster unless this has changed on the facelift. Looking at 300 quid + if you have a new one from them, and many dealers will refuse to code an old cluster.

I think you will find that it will need to go to ford for the laptop treatment, as the immobiliser and other crucial modules are built into the cluster unless this has changed on the facelift. Looking at 300 quid + if you have a new one from them, and many dealers will refuse to code an old cluster.

I can confirm that hasn't changed on my 2010 focus,

The speedo cluster is synced with the immobiliser and ecu,

Was funny when I removed the cluster to cut out the dash for the st pod.

I later went to move the car and forgot about the cluster,

The car started but wouldn't rev when pushing the accelerator, then cut off the engine when I put it in to reverse.

I once tried to change the lights in my cluster, but they are bulbs not LED's so after me and a mate had had a night of shouting an swearing at the dash trying to solder in LED's we finally managed it. But after a few weeks the lights fried the rest of the dash. Got a 2nd hand one from the local scrappies for £45 and had to tow the car through to ford and get the to program it, was only £100! Out of interest Lenny was you dash in the Focus bulbs or LED's when you changed it?

Steve

I once tried to change the lights in my cluster, but they are bulbs not LED's so after me and a mate had had a night of shouting an swearing at the dash trying to solder in LED's we finally managed it. But after a few weeks the lights fried the rest of the dash. Got a 2nd hand one from the local scrappies for £45 and had to tow the car through to ford and get the to program it, was only £100! Out of interest Lenny was your dash in the Focus bulbs or LED's when you changed it?

Steve

Hi Steve,

I didn't open mu cluster or buttons to change the colour, the are still stock red/white illumination, but going by the level of white that they are; I reckon they are led, they also match the ford racing gauges fitted to the st pod and I know that those ones are led sealed units so must all be led.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club