Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tdci 1.6 95Hp

Bladerunner

I have noticed that during lower revs-between 1,600 to 2,000 in 5th gear the engine can produce a noise very similar to a petrol engine when the ignition is retarded, in other words pinking.

Now once the revs reach 2,000 the noise disappears .

I wonder if anyone else with this engine has similar experiences.

This is with either 1 or 2 passengers nothing else, on the flat even.

Any ideas?

Martin.

I have never noticed any strange noise but I will have a listen in the morning and report back. Does it only do it when warm or cold or doesn't it matter

Common for a diesel to do this when in too high a gear.

Hi fellas, warm or cold same noise.

Diesel Pig, sorry but I dont agree that I am driving it in too high a gear for the revs,road/car load situation, thats why I prefer diesel-ride on the torque and thats where I drive it except on the faster roads .

I look after all the cars I have owned and drive them accordingly.

I sometimes drive a Seat Leon with work , this is 1.6 ecomotion tdi 105 hp I think and variable vane turbo, now that is horrendiously high geared in 5th, I also drive an ibiza 1.2tdi 3 cylinder ecomotive and it never complains the same although it is rather noisey and gruff,these engines and all the other diesel cars I have driven never make the same type of noise I mentioned.

I have also a D5 volvo it has never made strange noises even when ticking over in 6th gear hauling our caravan, I know its totally unfair to compare the 2 engines but a 1.6 litre engine is not small infact it is a small car with an engine size that should never complain especially with the low gearing 5th has.

I just wondered if the camshaft timing sensor may have gone wrong again, this was replaced when I complained that there was poor performance, that was a battle to sort out with loads of trips to the dealership. Ford are like all the rest -once you have paid they dont give a toss.

Changed at 8500mls now done 22500mls.

Anyone else any views on this.

Cheers

Martin.

Seriously considering going back to VW group cars as this Ford -Peougeot diesel engine sucks, big shame as the car is brilliant.

Mine sounds a little rough at 1600rpm in 5th but any higher its fine normal engine noise I don't usually drive at such low revs in 5th

Had another go on the way hope runs fine down to about 40mph in 5th but sounds like its struggling when speeding back up again

Hi Sam, the noise I mentioned has not happened this week, very strange but it also does seem a bit more responsive .

Am wondering if there is an issue with the timing or something.

Cheers

Martin.

Would have thought if it was timing it would do it all the time not just come and go

Hi Sam, so would I but I encountered an itermittent poor running incedent soon after buying it.

It ran well some times but others it was a right pig in town -stop start was almost impossible.

So it may be the camshaft timing sensor yet again.

Thats why I thought to ask other drivers of the same their findings.

Cheers

Martin.