Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 2 Headlight Question...

Mike77

As the title says, Was wondering if anyone knows if you can split the headlight. By split I mean remove the plastic cover lense from the front of the headlight, and put all back together without to much of a headache, would like to try fit some DRL strips inside the unit, as im not too keen on were other ppl are opting to fit them, think they would look more 'factory fit' in there somewhere.

They're glue sealed.

You can seperate then with a hairdryer and loads of patience but may well find that you'll have big problems with condensation afterwards.

Thought as much stoney, just thought I might get lucky haha. The Bmw headlights were like that, and ppl were telling me to put them in the oven ? They were plastic, that's all that would go round in my head lol. Needless to say, I didn't bother. Thanks for the reply though mate.

Have read a few guys on the STOC forum splitting their headlights to DIY blackeye them, as the black xenons can cost a small fortune. As you've heard before, they also bunged them in the oven, but like yourself I'd be scared of the whole thing melting!

It was only last week I read the thread too but can't remember exact time and temperature and can't find the thread now, sorry! I think as long as you kept an eye on 'em you should be fine. (Insert disclaimer here!)

I separated headlights on my Mondeo to de-tango them using a hairdryer and a bread kinfe to pry them open! All went well and just re-heated them when it came to resealing and used the original sealant rather than adding any more. Had no problems with condensation afterwards, but as Clive says, this would be your main worry on putting them back together.

I'd love to see you have a stab at this to be honest though mate!

Would love to myself mate, dont really fancy putting them in the oven,,,, but then again, dont really want to be there all day with a hairdryer and a knife, and risk taking little chunks out of the light here and there. I have the dark units standard on my car, think the mod would look good. Will have a look some time soon, see if I fancy tackling it :rolleyes:

If you could get your hands on a spare light or two for next to nothing it might be an idea to experiment first to find out the best way to 'cook' it, even if they were damaged or missing back covers and that. Like yourself I'd be very cautious about biting off more than I can shew and end up causing damage, but do keep us posted if you ever get a chance to have a go!

Take out bulbs and any wires that can be removed, stick them in oven to help soften the sealant then use a blade to release the lense off and do what u wanna do.

When you say stick it in the oven,,, what gas mark, and for how long, its a headlight, its not like I'm cookin a roast haha. And what type of blade do you mean ? Cheers.

When you say stick it in the oven,,, what gas mark, and for how long, its a headlight, its not like I'm cookin a roast haha.

20 minutes per pound plus 20 minutes extra, baste well ;)

Haha, frightened of opening the oven door to find what resembles burnt pizza lol.

I had once contemplated fitting my own angel eye rings as it was far cheaper to buy the rings than a set of headlights with them pre-fitted.

Once i looked into how much trouble it would be to remove the lenses I changed my mind sharpish.

As most of you know, I've ordered myself a set of these with built in drl's in the form of halo's

http://www.carparts-...ck-RHD-LHD.html

not had a great experience with the site, seeing as i purchased them a month ago n still haven't received em.

was gonna cancel the order yesterday only to find out that they've finally been dispatched so hopefully i'll finally have em in about a week

Now you see,,,,, that's were we differ. I wouldn't want angel eyes like that, I'd want ccfl rings, look much more like xenon colour, fitted them to my old 528 Beemer, and they really turned heads, much brighter than the halogen bulb type angel eyes.

i think the bulbs in my halos can be swapped out for white led's instead

only baked headlights once and the stupid things softened the sealant but the plastic became brittle and just started cracking and breaking

If you were to abuse them in the oven you would want the lowest heat, I would recommend gas mark 3 as a maximum...

You just need enough heat to break the bonds of the glue, but not warp the rest of the headlight.

Start off on 1, then take it out after a while, try seperate, if it doesnt, pop it in at 1.5 / 2 (depends how hot the light assembly feels!) keep going in increments but I wouldnt really think anything above 3 would be safe to not melt it!

to be honest the led strips are fragile for one and secondly they dont take heat well and insie that lens will get pretty hot i dont personally think they would last long thats why most led strips fitted are to the exterior of the light on the very bottom lip it would be a long process splitting the light etc just to have the vibration and heat destroy the leds within a month

Im looking at the idea of DRL / LED's but Im thinking installing them (IF and when...) into the Fog housing...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club