Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do I Buy A Transit St/sport Van

stef123

Well the Mondeo is due an mot at the start of next month, she needs a ball joint, a track rod end and possibly brake discs and pads

So I have ordered all the bits up to get her sorted at the weekend and fingers crossed..

But for a while i have been thinking about a van, possibly a transit connect as its a good size but still relatively small.

Now im thinking of just getting rid of the Mondeo all together between mot time and xmas to buy a new transit st van in performance blue. That way i will have rid of the Mondeo before she gives me any grief. Had her for 2 years now and only replaced a thermostat, egr valve, handbrake cables and calipers on the rear, the rest of it has been the usual service items

I love driving bigger vehicles so a van is my kinda thing. I will also use it for transporting equipment, tools and for hobby use.

My only concern is, can I get rid of my car all together and live with a van? it seems more practical for me but it wont be the same. The van does have enough toys for me as standard, heated screen, cruise control, dab radio etc

So I have been thinking about, fuel costs, maintenance costs, tyres etc. the van will have a 3yr/100k mile warranty so i should have much to worry about for the first while atleast.

any thoughts or opinions on this? and no i dont have a caravan... :lol:

any thoughts or opinions on this? and no i dont have a caravan... :lol:

Here are six positive and six negative reasons mate

Good:

Defo more power to weight ratio,

MPG will be increased due to carrying a chassie with less seats.

Could line out the rear section nicely,

Lots of tuning potential

Easier to park

Great for camping holidays

Bad:

chance of getting broken in to for tools

More expensive on tyres

Limited to range of alloys

DPF

Less room for friends

More road noise

Here are six positive and six negative reasons mate

Good:

Defo more power to weight ratio, * The transit has 140BHP and weighs a little more than my mondeo, the mondeo being about 1500kg (cant remember exactly) and 155BHP so probably not a massive difference

MPG will be increased due to carrying a chassie with less seats. * I believe the MPG is about 40 in the van, so its a drop of about 6-7 for what i get with the mondeo, the van is cheaper on tax though!

Could line out the rear section nicely, * Yup, I aim to ply line and fit storage for small things

Lots of tuning potential * Not sure i would be too interested in tuning, certainly not in the early stages while its still under warranty but perhaps in the future

Easier to park

Great for camping holidays

Bad:

chance of getting broken in to for tools * Very true, not much I can do about this although it wont be used to store anything valuable overnight

More expensive on tyres * Yes, the tyres i currently use are 70 each whereas the van tyres are 120 each

Limited to range of alloys * I like the Transit alloys, so would be happy to keep them but might powder coat them a different colour?

DPF * I did think about this, unfortunately its something i will need to live with on any new diesel really. Do you know if its the type that requires fluid?

Less room for friends * Not a problem, rarely have more than 2 passengers in the car, will also still have access to a car (the mrs) for when these occasions come up i guess

More road noise * True, also more engine noise.

Hi Lenny, I have added a few points into the points you have made above. Thanks for your input, all is appreciated

More and more queries on transits, me thinks a sub forum may be in order!

Tools: can you get one with windows, then if they look in, see nothing valuable, they walk away? then you can fit blinds on the days when you do have valuable contents, and then you just hope the lack of visibility is its own deterrent to a potential thief?

Wheels: Powder coat sounds good, go more with the colour of the motor?

If your going for a brander newer oner, then I think they are maintenance free as per the rest of the models... In fact, anything beyond 2012 thats brand new, I *believe* is much more likely to be the CDPF and not an EOLYS maintenance DPF.

More and more queries on transits, me thinks a sub forum may be in order!

Tools: can you get one with windows, then if they look in, see nothing valuable, they walk away? then you can fit blinds on the days when you do have valuable contents, and then you just hope the lack of visibility is its own deterrent to a potential thief?

Wheels: Powder coat sounds good, go more with the colour of the motor?

If your going for a brander newer oner, then I think they are maintenance free as per the rest of the models... In fact, anything beyond 2012 thats brand new, I *believe* is much more likely to be the CDPF and not an EOLYS maintenance DPF.

Hi Jeebo,

Yes that one I have never thought of is a transit section - do you want to put that suggestion in the mods area?

As far as I know they only come with solid doors, which I do like better but you do have a valid point. Now there are a few vans only area and to my knowledge none of them have been broken into. There used to be a problem round my way a good few years back but it did stop.

I think I will just need to risk that one, at the same time though I don't want my van getting wrecked!

I'm going for a performance blue one, so not sure what colour will go with that? I currently have metallic silver on my black mondeo and they look the dogs when they are clean lol.

Well that's good new as I do intend to buy a brand new one or a pre registered one with only a couple of miles on. There is one for sale quite local to me just now, it was registered 4 months ago and has 2k miles on the clock but the vat has been paid. It's 18k but whereas a new one is 18k plus vat!

I hate dpf's with a passion but if its a different type that doesn't use that EOLYS fluid. Maintenance free I like lol

Cheers mate, appreciated

No worries mate, I will post the suggestion :)

as for the windows, its a shame, but maybe a simple deterrent of "no tools in this van overnight" sticker may help?

As for the blue, maybe something like the silver will remain pretty good looking against it, either that or performance red, just to stand out a bit :P

As I say thats what I understand, had a quick nosey and even some vans from 2009 report having a CDPF, and a quick google search appears to back this up, so I would say just double check with the dealers for certainty, but I think you should be alright!

Cheers Jeebo,

Here is one I have in mind

http://www.evanshalshaw.com/vehiclesearch/used/ford-used-commercial-bn62rbx.html?registration_number=bn62rbx&registration_number=bn62rbx&registration_number=bn62rbx&registration_number=bn62rbx&registration_number=bn62rbx&registration_number=bn62rbx&registration_number=bn62rbx

Also just thought about the different speed limits for a van, not that it's a great deal.

I will double check the dpf thing when the time comes to purchase but if it isn't the maintainence free type I'm snookered as I want one lol.

Thats true, you are under more restrictions than in a car!

as for the DPF, I am rather confident that it will be maintenance free, but I dont even know if you can "upgrade" your existing for a CDPF?! surely it cant be that difficult?

I have been looking into ply lining kits and storage, not as bad as I thought and for £200 I could have exactly what I need.

Not sure what else I would need really?

To be honest I think you covered most to all.

To be honest I think you covered most to all.

Might go have a look at the weekend, maybe test drive one :lol:

Sounds a plan, do post a thorough review! nothing less than Parkers / Which? standard will do ;)

Sounds a plan, do post a thorough review! nothing less than Parkers / Which? standard will do ;)

you will have to drag me away from the van first :lol:

will certainly post up a review and pictures. I might actually have a couple of guides to post up soon too... (focus mk2 lower arm bush replacement, mk3 mondeo lower arm replacement and mk3 mondeo track rod end replacment - albeit the same for every car)

Van looks Sweet Stef , looks really nice and i like the exhaust. So many times i wish i had a van , fetching slabs once i had to do 6 trips haha on the last trip i broke a rear spring lol

Van looks Sweet Stef , looks really nice and i like the exhaust. So many times i wish i had a van , fetching slabs once i had to do 6 trips haha on the last trip i broke a rear spring lol

yeah it would be great for stuff like that Paul. Last year i was looking for about 20 odd 3x2 slabs for keeping my bike in the garden. maybe i will be able to get them now.

at least your car would have been low :lol:

I know the old transit sport vans went through front tyres at a rate of knots!!! Was a big problem...

Not sure if they have sorted that issue though..

I'd love a van, just think I'd miss how the focus handles and goes an stops lol!

Well... I say stops... I'm still not happy with the brakes!

I know the old transit sport vans went through front tyres at a rate of knots!!! Was a big problem...

Not sure if they have sorted that issue though..

I'd love a van, just think I'd miss how the focus handles and goes an stops lol!

Well... I say stops... I'm still not happy with the brakes!

yeah im not sure either to be honest. but then lots of guys were saying the mondeo tdci st can eat front tyres - to be fair im running relatively cheap kumho tyres and getting well over 12k miles (possibly 15k) from them and i cant fault them on handling in the dry or wet.

i do about 20k a year so 15k plus 5k a year with my winter tyres sounds about right actually

Well it looks like all the transit sport vans eat front tyres due to them running car tyres...

So, having had a think about it and I hope not to spoil it. I have thought about either getting a set of aftermarket 16" alloys or getting a set of genuine ford 16" alloys instead of the 18" standard alloys.

That way I can run van tyres which will last longer and are about 30% cheaper to start with.

Are you buying the Van Stef , did you take it for a test drive

Heart is certainly set on buying one, unfortunately I didn't make it along for a test drive with me doing alot of mot work on my own car and my brothers.

Will see what tomorow brings, if not there is always next weekend lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club