Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water In Rear Seat And Boot

Dave68

I have a 1999 Mondeo I.8 with 37000 miles registered.

I have recently noticed quite a bit of water present in the rear seat at the back of the seat where it meets the vertical seat back. This area was quite wet but the main part of the seat was dry. At the same time I have noticed water in the floor of the back of the boot up close to where it meets the back seat. The rest of the boot is dry.

Today I pulled the rear seat cushion forward to expose the underside which was quite wet. On either side of the underside is a loosly fitting plastic blank. I prised each blank off and could see a hole below about the diameter of a one pence piece leading to the outside.

Is it likely that water could be entering up through these loosely fitting blanks. If so would it solve the problem by sealing them with silicone.

Someone suggested to me that it could be a leak from the rear screen wash but I am not sure about that.

As the rear seat in this car is rarely used it is possible that this is a long standing problem.

I have recently used this car a lot during the wet and snowy weather that we have had.

Any ideas please.

Dave

Its most likely that to be honest, Ford put weird grommits in weird places, and sometimes dont seem to have put them in when they should have... I would check that on opening the boot lid, if you remove the protective cover of the cables and lines to the bootlid from the top of the hatch, can you see any obvious watermarks there?

Have you checked the basics like the door sills and the ceiling?

Hi Jeebo,

have checked around the top of the hatch and can't see any water marks. Completely emptied the boot and used the rear screen wash ----still no sign of water ingress. I suspect it is coming in through the bodywork from the outside. Think I will just have to be detective for a bit.

Having completely stripped the boot and removed the spare wheel I found that the spare wheel basin had 2 inches of water in it ! I suspect that it has gradually built up, perhaps over years. Eventually it has reached such a level that, during normal driving and braking, the water has slopped forwards and seeped into the rear seat area via the back edge of the seat where it meets the vertical seat back. The rear part of the felt boot lining was dry, only the front third near the rear seat was wet.

Now that the boot is completely empty and dry I will keep a close check on it, paticularly during wet weather, to try and find the point of entry.

What do you think. Also thanks for your reply and suggestions.

Dave

P.S. In the floor of the spare wheel basin are 3 grommits. Would it be sensible to remove one to let any water that enters to pass through. Not the proper answer I know.

It's certainly an answer to drain the boot in the meantime, check around the lights most fords have seals issues at some points lol I had it In the fiesta and focus awaiting its arrival in the cmax. The water seaps in and floods into the boot, as you say braking means sloshing to the rear seats...

Jeebo, thanks for your help. As soon as it gets a bit warmer I shall get the hose out and check all seals etc. The fact that I have completely emptied the boot ( some job ) helps a lot as I can actually see the possible sites of leakages now.

If I find the cause I shall report back.

Dave

look forward to hearing some positive news on that one mate. In the meantime, you could remove the light assemblies, and just check the seals, you might see their cracked, or otherwise OK. You may also see the water marks of where its seeped in...

• 2 weeks later...

Jeebo, your diagnosis is spot on. The water is definitely entering around both rear light clusters. Obviously new seals required. I thought I would have a go at it myself-------am I being wise. I presume that it's just a case of removing each light cluster, removing the old seals and inserting the new ones. Would value your opinion on this.

Thanks again.

Dave.

glad to be of service :)

to be honest, the worst you can do is fit them incorrectly, and you get a bit more water in, give it a go yourself, it should be cluster off, old seal off, new seal on and secured then clusters back on :D