Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Sounding A Bit Rough

vinylpusher

Hello

I purchased my Ford Focus 1.6 MK2 Zetec climate about 2 years ago from a Ford Dealer. All fine.

Over the last few months i have noticed the engine getting a bit noisy (Hard to describe but sounds quite ratteley and not very healthy, expecially in the mornings)

When im actually driving i dont notice it too much, but when the car is idle its starting to sound as if its a deisel.

Now i havent had the car serviced or anything since i brought (I know i know :( )

What could the cause of a louder engine be? Would have a full engine service resolve some of these issues at all?

Any help or more information please reply.

Many thanks

I would certainly change the oil as soon as possible, using castrol magnatec 5w/30 or another high quality oil

Should i use anything to maybe flush the engine? (Im not mechanically minded Sorry! im trying to learn though :))

Im guessing they would do all of this during an engine service?

Would it be hard to do an oil change myself to see if this makes any difference?

Thanks

Should i use anything to maybe flush the engine? (Im not mechanically minded Sorry! im trying to learn though :))

Im guessing they would do all of this during an engine service?

Would it be hard to do an oil change myself to see if this makes any difference?

Thanks

I wouldn't normally bother with an engine flush as its not necessarily a good thing, but in this case I probably would.

A flush won't be carried out during a routine service, you would need to ask for it and pay extra.

Yes changing the oil is very very easy. If you can change a wheel you can change the oil.

If you do intend to change the oil, there are a few guides online, but we would be happy to help you out and guide you through it.

I wouldn't normally bother with an engine flush as its not necessarily a good thing, but in this case I probably would.

A flush won't be carried out during a routine service, you would need to ask for it and pay extra.

Yes changing the oil is very very easy. If you can change a wheel you can change the oil.

If you do intend to change the oil, there are a few guides online, but we would be happy to help you out and guide you through it.

Many thanks. I did one on my old Corsa once. Ill take a look online for guides

I don't have any ramps through. Will this be possible without any? Can i just use Jacks? one on both side?

Can you recommend which products are best to use ??

(Example the Flush product and also which oil to put back in to keep it the most smooth)

Halfords is nearest to me or Motorworld. Link to them would be good :)

Many thanks. Appreciate it.

The engine flush I use is this stuff (don't use it very often though)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&productId=157187&categoryId=255221&langId=-1

And your looking for Castrol magnatec 5w/30 A1 (will have ford ford on the bottle) - that IMO is the best oil and I believe is also the recommended oil. Check your local asda if you have one, last time I was in mine they were selling it on offer

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&productId=253905&categoryId=165581&langId=-1

Thats great thankyou

So will i be ok using a Floor jack for one said to lift the car ??

Do i put the Flush in the oil and run the revs before draining the oil out?? or do i drain the oil, then put the flush through, then re-drain?

How do i go about replacing the oil filter and would this be necessary?

Thanks

Thats great thankyou

So will i be ok using a Floor jack for one said to lift the car ??

Do i put the Flush in the oil and run the revs before draining the oil out?? or do i drain the oil, then put the flush through, then re-drain?

How do i go about replacing the oil filter and would this be necessary?

Thanks

Sorry I missed that bit,

Yes, if I'm doing an oil change I just use a jack - you should use axle stands aswell though

One thing I always do that it doesn't say on the tin is check that I won't be overfilling the oil when I add the flush. So just add the flush to the oil, either run the car around for a short while or keep a fast idle for 15 mins then drop the oil. I would recommend leaving the car for a bit to let all the oil drip out. Also bear in mind the oil will be hot but the hotter the better as it will draw out more rubbish.

Remove the oil filter - don't do an oil change and leave the old one on. You might be able to unscrewit by hand, if not the likes of Halfords will sell a tool.

Remember when refitting the new filter to apply some clean oil to the rubber o-ring. Only hand tighten the new filter, there is no need to tighten them up to crazy amounts like garages do. If its awkward to tighten by hand, do it as much as possible and turn another 90 degrees or so with the tool

One thing I always do aswell is use a clean rag to remove any oil from the sump or block as it does run all over the place.

Hope this helps a little

Thats great thankyou, really helps.

Sorry you put "Remove the oil filter - don't do an oil change and leave the old one on"

So should i do the oil change first, put new oil in, then change the filter??

Or should i change the filter whilst the oil sump is drained?

Where is the oil filter located? will it stand out when i get under the car? is it near the sump?

Many thanks

When changing oil a simple lesson is,

1. Take it out for a short run to warm it up a little
  2. Jack it up or crawl under, and place the bowl or whatever you are using into position
  3. Crack and undo the sump bolt
  4. Leave it for 5-10 minutes or until it stops dribbling
  5. Replace the sump bolt
  6. Remove the old oil filter(cant remember the exact position)
  7. Place new oil filter (rub a little oil on the rubber seal before hand) tighten by hand as much as possible then a little extra push (dont over tighten)
  8. Fill up with oil as specified by the handbook (quantity)(not forgetting to make sure that you have put the sump bolt back)
  9. Check dipstick ( just under the max line)
  10. Start it up and either leave it for a few minutes or go on a small run
  11. Check the level again and top up as required (peace of mind have a look at the filter to make sure its not become loose)
  12. Done

If you go to a Ford Dealer or original parts re seller you could buy a Ford genuine kit that will include a new sump bolt filter and oil, otherwise just but the Oil, decent brands are always safest bet Castrol,Valvoline,Shell,Mobil etc. i think Ford now reccomend Castrol, but any brand will be alright so long as you get the correct grade.

Good Luck

Thats great thankyou, really helps.

Sorry you put "Remove the oil filter - don't do an oil change and leave the old one on"

So should i do the oil change first, put new oil in, then change the filter??

Or should i change the filter whilst the oil sump is drained?

Where is the oil filter located? will it stand out when i get under the car? is it near the sump?

Many thanks

Yes remove the filter whilst the oil is draining. Remember it will be full of hot oil

Thanks for all the help

Is there anything else i should grab and replace whilst i'm doing this as a maintenance side?

Spark plugs maybe?

Should i grab any other fluids to run through the petrol or engine at all?

Thanks

Thanks for all the help

Is there anything else i should grab and replace whilst i'm doing this as a maintenance side?

Spark plugs maybe?

Should i grab any other fluids to run through the petrol or engine at all?

Thanks

if you wanted to give it a full service while you have all the toys out then you could change the plugs and the rest of the filters?

Yeah think ill change the air filter. Would just a Halfords one be ok?

I checked the service manual and i now have 65,000 miles it was serviced at 50,000.

Would the spark plugs need doing really? Ive read they last up to 60,000 miles before needing a change?.

Or should i change them for the Bosch ones as i have heard good things. Or would this not make much of a difference. Trying to keep costs down if im honest. Just want a smoother engine lol

Thanks again

Yeah think ill change the air filter. Would just a halfords one be ok?

I checked the service manual and i now have 65,000 miles it was serviced at 50,000.

Would the spark plugs need doing really? Ive read they last up to 60,000 miles before needing a change?.

Or should i change them for the bosch ones as i have heard good things. Or would this not make much of a difference. Trying to keep costs down if im honest. Just want a smoother engine lol

Thanks again

yeah a Halfords filter would be fine - if they stock them though (the way they work their parts is strange)

spark plugs should be changed every 30-40k. I tend to change them after about 25k but i check the gap at about half that. I have just changed the plugs on my Mrs ibiza, they were genuine parts and probably original as the car has 40k on the clock - no wonder the car didnt drive very well. the gap was twice as big as it should be!

so it might be worth while pulling them out for a look or just replacing them

I would go with genuine plugs to be honest, they are around £3 each at the dealer.

When you say about the gap. What is it exactly im looking for to see if they need replacing.

Ive looked at a guide for replacing them. Could i do much damage if i mess anything up doing this?.

Any words of wisdom to remove them?.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+2005-2007+Ford+Focus+Spark+Plugs/5124/1

Thats the guide ive looked at.

The end of the electrode corrodes/wears away. You need feeler gauges to accurately measure them.

Removing them should be quite easy, just don't stick a 3ft pole on the ratchet if they are a bit tight. As they will snap

Refitting them, apply a little copper grease to the threads - makes them easier to remove in the future. Also screw them in by hand using the plug socket until they go all the way in. Be very careful not to cross thread the head is it will be a very expensive mistake.

Ok thanks.

1 last thing to try and pick your brains about.

When i start the engine sometimes, mainly when its cold but does do it other times, on the rev counter, petrol, temp and speed gauges, the needles will flicker and a ticking noise will come from the gauges for a few seconds and then they will go into place as normal. Could this be an indication of something on its way im out ?

Thats id you know could be lots of reasons though im guessing. Thanks

Ok thanks.

1 last thing to try and pick your brains about.

When i start the engine sometimes, mainly when its cold but does do it other times, on the rev counter, petrol, temp and speed gauges, the needles will flicker and a ticking noise will come from the gauges for a few seconds and then they will go into place as normal. Could this be an indication of something on its way im out ?

Thats id you know could be lots of reasons though im guessing. Thanks

Im not sure about that one mate, never heard of it happening.

I would suggest you start a seperate thread to see if anyone can help you out.

Hello.

So yesterday i an oil and oil filter change. Spark plugs and air filter.

The engine sounds the same. A mechanic took a look and said its nothing to worry about but its not that im worried but the noise is just annoying.

The engine sounds like its tapping loudly when idle. Theres a few youtube videos of people with similar noises.

Anyone know what it may be?

To be fair my fiesta isnt very quiet, and its only at 24,500 miles, if its a zetec engine badged as duratec like mine the it has hydraulic tappets and they are supposed to adjust by themselves, i think they get a bit sticky, i find that after giving the car some down the road it is as quiet as a mouse at idle until the next morning, it may be that they are near the top of the motor and are late getting oil in the cold, i walked past a brand new 62 plate fiesta zetec s and it had the same noise just no so harsh, i had to laugh to my self, and the clicky noise in the dash, does it sound a little but like static electricity? Its probably a loose connectio into the cluster or i side the cluster, it might just be that it needs unplugging and plugging back in again, as the grounding pin in thd plug may be a little dry or dirty.

Yeah i know how you mean even about brand new fords.

The needles hesitate like they want to move so tgey flicker back and forth quicky and thats when the noise is. Its only when i start the car. If the engine is off and i just turn the mey they are fine, then i start the engine and thats when it happens. When it does happen though it also resets the MPG and miles to next refill, but doesn't reset the trip odometer which is strange :/

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club